Anyone here go HID's in their P5?

ho bag

:
2007 Mazda5 GT
Im looking at going HID's since my headlight finally burned out and silver stars are $30 a peice here anyway.

Any opinions on light output? i was thinking 4300k

Also any pics or comments on the kit you used?

I don't plan on doing projectors for now so im thinking just regular lo beam kit.

4300K will give you the most light output and will be pure white.

Install is pretty easy. You need H7 for your low beams and 9005 for your high beams.

Ya i know 4300k is the most output and least ricey looking.

I guess the install will depend on the kit i get. A good kit should just be plug headlight harness into the ballast, install the bulb and wire ballast to the bulb?

Did you notice a improvement going from stock to HID? I would figure to see a real improvement, you would have to retro a HID.

Also considering that the P5 has pretty good halogen lighting, would you be really be downgrading your viewing distance going to retro/ stock bulb HID?

Magus

Ya i got a Canadian P5 so i have daytime running.

Is there a how to for disabling them?

Remember to point them lower than stock to reduce glare.

Yea I have HIDs and I get flashed once and a while but not too often. You gotta remember our cars weren't made to hold HIDs so you will get the occasional flash but just makes sure they are pointed down as best as possible. But yea the install is real easy and the improvement is really noticeable, esp when you are on a highway at night, it will make the signs or any reflective material light sooooo nice.

Did you notice a improvement going from stock to HID? I would figure to see a real improvement, you would have to retro a HID.

Also considering that the P5 has pretty good halogen lighting, would you be really be downgrading your viewing distance going to retro/ stock bulb HID?

Magus

I saw a ridiculous improvement in my visibility compared to halogen. I will never go back to regular lighting again. A projector set up would be sweet to concentrate the beam and have a nice cut off line - but frankly I'm pretty happy as is.

Remember to point them lower than stock to reduce glare.

Ya i got a Canadian P5 so i have daytime running.

Is there a how to for disabling them?

Yah there's a how to - send me a PM with your email about it - I'll walk ya through it.

I saw a ridiculous improvement in my visibility compared to halogen. I will never go back to regular lighting again. A projector set up would be sweet to concentrate the beam and have a nice cut off line - but frankly I'm pretty happy as is.

Yah there's a how to - send me a PM with your email about it - I'll walk ya through it.
Im gonna take you up on that offer when the time comes.

How much lower do they need to be aimed? Does aiming it lower reduce the overall distance you can see?

You're not lowering them substantially - you'll still see at least twice as far as you did originally.

Just keep me posted when you decide to get them . I should be finished exams by then hopefully and I'll have some more spare time.

once you go hid you'll have no other bulb again...i can't believe the difference..i did drop them quite a bit but they are still very effective!

I barely lowered mine and I've never been flashed.

Mine hit me right at about my knee - I'm 5' 11" give or take an inch.

Anybody got some cut-off pics? Up against a garage? Curious as to the glare if it's all over the place. I know it won't compare to Chico's projectors(they made your dog look crazy scary gainst the van) but I'm curious to see what it looks like.

Tylor

Anybody got some cut-off pics? Up against a garage? Curious as to the glare if it's all over the place. I know it won't compare to Chico's projectors(they made your dog look crazy scary gainst the van) but I'm curious to see what it looks like.

Tylor

Ya im curious of how it looks as well.

How about this:
It's a 6000k kit on a P5 (I also run 6000's)

Attachments

• litkit6000.JPG
    litkit6000.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 441
i always thought the output of our stock lights were more than enough. but i always wondered the same thing, will hid's be any improvement? i couldn't believe how much more it lit up the road. i've been wanting to get a matching set for the fog lights but i've been getting conflicting information as to which bulb to get. some say just the regular h3 and others say there is a shorter version of the h3 that i need to use.....but yeah, loving my hid's.

2070506584_0e3d23002d.jpg

5000k, 55w. Mine were aimed high enough when I got them that they were pointing right at the speed limit signs at about 40 ft away. That got painful. I was getting flashed like mad at that point. I took them down, and rarely get flashed now.

Back