TWM Short shifter IN!

SwampAss

:
2007 Mazdaspeed3
60 minutes. I tried to short cut and not remove the console. = FAIL

You have to remove the console. Instructions were extremely thorough and I only had a small problem reinstalled the side movement ball and plastic bushing. Just install the movement ball, then slide the bushing in from the other side (it's in the directions both ways) It's easier to tap it in with a screw driver handle. How's it feel? It feels very close to a stock miata in preciseness. That's one of the best shifting cars I've ever driven so I'll use that as my comparison. The shifter sits much lower and the gates are dramatically shortened. Side to side motion is also shorter. I even did a few hard 2nd to 3rd gear shifts and never missed or grinded. One thing to note...I have wide meaty hands. I hit the parking brake when shifting into 6th. Not a big deal at all.
I scoured the house for paper clips not realizing they included them in the box. I used corn cob holders and they worked great! TWM is arguably the class leader in customer service. I've bought a lot of stuff from different car places. Between Ron Tonkin and TWM, I've been very well supported in the Mazda aftermarket.

1st picture is N
2nd 1st
3rd is 2nd
4 is how I keep my hands butter free (and remove the stock shifter)

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• DSC01729.JPG
    DSC01729.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 361
  • DSC01730.JPG
    DSC01730.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 326
  • DSC01731.JPG
    DSC01731.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 332
  • DSC01732.JPG
    DSC01732.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 310
Got mine today, took about an hour. Works great, but you do have to follow the directions to a tee.

You lucky bastard! I can't wait for mine to come in tomorrow. Glad to hear you like it so much. (cabpatch)

Did you need 2 people for the install like the directions said?

Last edited:
You only need one person to do it, I did it fine by myself. The hardest parts are getting those tabs out and lining up the ball on the side with it's hole while holding the spring up with needle nose pliers. You're definately going to need some small paper clips or corn cobb holders like Swamp used. There were no paper clips included with mine although Swamp said they were included with his... Oh, and if you don't have any grease you should go out and buy some now, that's also not included but required. They say to use white lithium grease.

Love the shifter though, it's awesome! The car should have come from the factory with a STS.

The only things in my box were the install manual, 10% off coupon, and the shifter on that cardboard piece wrapped in plastic wrap. If only they messed it up better, 2 coupons instead of one and no paper clips.

I'll sell you my paper clips.

No way, I'm calling TWM tomorrow and raising hell about not getting those TWM paper clips!

I think it's sad that there are actually people in the world that would do what I just said over something so stupid like not getting paper clips.

can someone please take pictures of the shifter before you install.

Stick it next to the stock shift lever and take pictures !?!?!?

thanks boyz

got mine yesterday and installed in as soon as i received it .... took about and hr... give or take 20 minutes to find the white plastic piece that flew off upon removal of the stock shifter. lol that was a lil scarey... other than i did it by myself at night with a bad flash light. shifts much better than stock. i got the bushings with it and it feels much firmer. def a good buy

::edit:: bc i cant spell

Woot! my paperclips were delivered yesterday. And they came with some sort of short shifter thingy and bushings.

i thought it was cool as hell that TWM even thought of putting paperclips in there. that blew my mind... when i read the instructions online i was like gotta remember to steel some paperclips from work... then when i forgot i was hella pissed. but surprise surprise twm came through lol good job

guys....seriously....the short shifter. ******* paper clips. stealing all the glory. they tried to ruin my life but i didnt let them. i think the government has something to do with it....they deny all charges. but on the DL....**I think the paper clips are some sort of Alien mind control. they steal any interest in anything worth while.** LIKE YOUR SHORT SHIFTER!!! install your paper clips and send me your shifter if theyre that cool. lol.

guys....seriously....the short shifter. ******* paper clips. stealing all the glory. they tried to ruin my life but i didnt let them. i think the government has something to do with it....they deny all charges. but on the DL....**I think the paper clips are some sort of Alien mind control. they steal any interest in anything worth while.** LIKE YOUR SHORT SHIFTER!!! install your paper clips and send me your shifter if theyre that cool. lol.

The paper clips are not stealing any glory! They're not getting enough glory! Without those beautifully hand crafted TWM paperclips the TWM STS install wouldn't even be possible!

Back