My Bike Rack's Here

dsm_rally

:
02 & 03.5 Protege 5
My Bike Rack's Here - PICS INSIDE

In a previous post I asked for opinions on bike racks for an '02 P5. After a bunch of responses (thanks all) I decided to get the uprights and brackets from mazdastuff.com. They came UPS today and as soon as I get them on (have to put the cross bars back on, too) I'll post pics and let you all know what I think.

http://www.mazdamp3.com/vbb225/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24127&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

Last edited:
Well, I got the rack on but by the time I finished it was a little too dark outside to get any decent pics. I'll snap some tomorrow and post them.

First impressions are that the rack fits great and the Mazda brackets work like a charm. There are no clearance issues when the rack is empty. The moonroof tilts without a problem and the wing on the hatch doesn't even come close to the rear of the rail. The only issue so far is that with my bike on the rack, the wing hits the rear tire. It's really not a big deal...the hatch just doesn't open quite all the way.

Other than that, the only other issue had nothing to do with the rack. I ordered and payed for 2 uprights and 2 brackets from Mazdastuff.com but only 1 arrived via UPS today. I called Mazda South (i.e. mazdastuff), in Texas, and spoke to Richard. He immediately realized it was a mistake and their end and they are going to send the 2nd one out via 2-day shipping.

So, so far so good. Like I said, I'll hopefully post pics tomorrow.

yep, Rich is a good guy down there. Almost immediate response on emails and calls.

I used the Mazda brackets with a Yakima King Cobra setup...works fine. I upgraded all the fasteners to SST and ditched the "hand" thighting things that Yakima provided...now I dont' have to worry about it being tightened by hand.

Hey dsm_rally, I would love to see what they look like. I have been contemplating them for some time. This just might be what I need to cough up the money. Beside, I'm getting tired of asking the wife for the van, just so I can go biking:) Thanks in advance for the pictures

P5 Rack Pics

Finally got some pics snapped. Sorry about the crappy quaulity. I used the still photo feature on my digital video cam.

Attachments

• p5 rack_01.jpg
    p5 rack_01.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 542
90210brandon, is that a Protege 5? I guess you're from Canada, huh? No factory roof rack on the Canadian P5 as I understand it. Looks good :)

Is that a Bridgestone?

I've got a '90 MB1 I'm about to mount to my silver P5. Kinda cool to see what it'll look like up there. What bike is that? Bridgestone hard tails rock. Fast Fast Fast!!

Yours is the first Bridgestone I've heard of in a while besides mine. Mine's an MB5. It's a bunch of years old but I think it's still a pretty darn good bike.

dsm_rally...
Thanks a million for taking all the pics.
The rack looks awesome!
I am going to have to get the same setup for mine. It's exactly what I want.
Thanks again!
Dale.

No problem, Dale. I worked out pretty well and for $260 from mazdastuff I'm really happy with it.

factory rack

Put a yakima on mine because the black rails don't look that good on my white p5. But on yours the dark car color makes it look better than I remember from my test drive. Test drove the 2003.0, bought the 2003.5. The price comes out the same $260 for one bike mount and rack, although I reused the crossbars from my previous yakima.

Back