powder coating/painting rims

nalspeed

Contributor
:
mazda protege 5 silver
are there like rules on painting rims or powder coating them or are they the same thing? I want to paint/powder coat them to match the whole entire rims so what place should I look for to get them painted/powder coating? and how much would they run thanks?

you can paint rims by getting wheel paint at pepboys. but you need a professional to powdercoat them. after the wheels are powdercoated, they are baked. so powdercoating is way better than painting and more expensive.

don't powdercoat forged wheels. apparently, the process makes them weaker. if you're planning on painting the stockers, do some searches.

i painted my wheels on my protege5 using the duplicolor wheel pain. masked off the wheel from the tire, sanded to a dull finish using 400 grit and painted away following the directions on the can.

and how did that turn out jonas? im thinking of getting new rims and turning my stockers into winter tires

c0nfus3d said:
and how did that turn out jonas? im thinking of getting new rims and turning my stockers into winter tires

IMG_3651.jpg

mine are pwdrcoated..... with the sandblasting/masking off the lip/pwdr it ran like 400 somthing.......

they were gunmetal.....
now they are almost exactly the same color of the car.

Attachments

• 100_0183.jpg
    100_0183.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 194
so those were not the original colors of those rims? wow that is some job

joka1 said:
mine are pwdrcoated..... with the sandblasting/masking off the lip/pwdr it ran like 400 somthing.......

they were gunmetal.....
now they are almost exactly the same color of the car.

Back