Navigation maps are updated for September

Regarding using phone maps while travelling - download Google Maps, if you don't already have it. When you're on a wifi connection, you can actually download maps of areas that you specify so that you can use them even without a data connection. The only requirement is that you have a good GPS connection (which is built into the phone and doesn't cost money to use). I do this when I go out of the country. Worked great for when I went to Vegas and Hawaii.

OK, so now I feel like a ludite. I have google maps on my android phone, but I wasn't aware that my phone had a gps in it. How do I find the gps on an android phone?
As far as I know, google maps uses mobile data.
Thanks.

When you pull down the menu from the top your phone screen, make sure location or location services is turned on. As long as that is on, you can use Google Maps which will take you where you want to go. Location is your GPS

OK, so now I feel like a ludite. I have google maps on my android phone, but I wasn't aware that my phone had a gps in it. How do I find the gps on an android phone?
As far as I know, google maps uses mobile data.
Thanks.

As DMC111 mentioned, the GPS function can usually be activated/deactivated from the pull-down menu of your Android phone. Look for something that says Location or GPS. It should have a symbol that looks something like the following icons:

1602944846881.png

276-2761008_gps-icon-gps-black-png-transparent-png.png

kisspng-computer-icons-turbo-webs-ltd-gps-5b489cc8dbe831.7648925015314853849008.jpg

Any yes, Google Maps usually does use data, but only when searching for your destination and when determining your route, and also to update your route with regard to traffic and other real-time road information. Actual route guidance and location tracking is handled by the built-in GPS.

Note that when using the offline maps, only driving directions can be provided. You can't chart a cycling route, but you can use the offline maps like you would a physical map (the GPS will constantly show your location as you travel on your route).

Like I said, I feel like a ludite.
I always assumed (I know I know. Never assume....lol) that the maps function on my phone would use a ton of data.
I googled the maps function to see how it actually worked, and you guys are right.
You're never to old and it's never too late to learn something.
Thanks.:cool:

My 3 year new car subscription expired May of this year but I wound up buying the car when it came off lease. Bit the bullet and purchased a 3 year subscription for the Nav but...

Nav system won't load. Validated the SD card on Mazda ToolKit but the compass comes up (and also doesn't work) and now my sign recognition also isn't working. Disconnected the battery for 30 minutes and that didn't help.

I had the dealer-installed Android Auto conversion kit done a year ago. Found some evidence of rodent (seeds) in the engine compartment and cabin filter. Less than 16k miles on the car. :cautious:
Well do I feel like an idiot. With being recently retired and most things locked down I'm only taking 1-2 trips per week in my CX-5. Made some in-town runs today, took out the SD card and noticed the little slider tab was in the locked position. Moved it to unlock and now everything works!

Just glad I discovered that before taking it into my dealer and throwing a hissyfit...

Pipemajor - I have found that the slider tab does move easily. It could have moved to the closed position while fiddling about trying to line up the card in a dark slot with a dark surround in an awkward position while at the same time the plastic cover on it's little strap is getting in the way. (I speak from experience). Don't feel bad about it.

Back