2021 CX-5 CD Player Options?

As I remember the OP was primarily interested in audiobooks. The problem with external CD players is that they most likely won't resume play from where they're stopped which would be a problem with a book.

Either ripping solution is a better bet, whether you're a Android or iPhone user. That also gives you the advantage of taking books with you to any car with a BT connection.

FWIW I'm a Windows / Android guy, and the EAC solution is what I've been doing for years. It really is a 5 minute shot from CD > PC> phone. The only tricky part is making sure your tags are straight, I've never ripped an audiobook so don't know how it gets indexed..
CD > PC via iTunes > iPhone is also a 5 minute shot. Disclosure: I'm not one of those Apple evangelists, more a path of least resistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
CD > PC via iTunes > iPhone is also a 5 minute shot. Disclosure: I'm not one of those Apple evangelists, more a path of least resistance.
>PC via iTunes

OOF. I cannot and will not ever recommend someone install iTunes on a PC. Even Apple themselves admit it's a garbage program.

>PC via iTunes

OOF. I cannot and will not ever recommend someone install iTunes on a PC. Even Apple themselves admit it's a garbage program.
iTunes ran fine on a new PC with a Win 10 factory install burning 400+ CDs. It also imported fast and flawlessly to the phone. If it didn't after a couple of test CDs I would have stopped and tried something else. Apple would prefer you use a Mac I presume.

I "upgraded" my previous machine with the free MS Win 10 download on top of Win 7 Pro as they were discontinuing support of 7. That was sometimes flaky and I would not vouch for anything running clean on that set-up. I wouldn't vouch for anything running under 7 at this point.

The only issues I had with iTunes on PC, which I doubt had anything to do with it being a PC version, was some metadata defaults, what I presume others refer to as "tags":
  • Alphabetizing solo artists by first name. Of course this seems to be universal, such as in email or phone contacts of all stripes. I'd presume other burning software might do the same. That's easy enough to change in iTunes before burning. For example, I would revise "Joan Osborne" to "Osborne, Joan" at the album level and it would filter down to each song. No biggie, and just a personal preference to start with.
  • I had trouble getting a small handful of albums changed from "Various" to "Compilation" for the artist just to get all of those under one classification. Never did fix 4 of them, but those were burned copies of unknown provenance to start with so there's that.
  • Some genre defaults seemed a little strange, but that's often a matter of some fluidity and in the eye of the beholder. Since I did not intend to ever sort on genre I stopped paying attention to it pretty quickly.
Otherwise, they rip in about 5 minutes. a little longer for a 75 minute CD, a little less for a 40 minute one. After burning to my hard drive I would check the opening of each song for playability. No issues there. No playability or sort issues on the iPhone so far though I can't vouch for all of them.

That's my experience, Apple's protests to the contrary. So, choose your poison.

While I am still holding out to buy a portable CD player that is compatible with my CX-5 audio system I have finally bitten the bullet and ripped 35 CD's on to a 16GB flashdrive. Only 220 more CD's to go. 😥😥 Well, maybe not. I think I could get most of my CD collection onto the one flashdrive!!

While I am still holding out to buy a portable CD player that is compatible with my CX-5 audio system I have finally bitten the bullet and ripped 35 CD's on to a 16GB flashdrive. Only 220 more CD's to go. 😥😥 Well, maybe not. I think I could get most of my CD collection onto the one flashdrive!!
Unless you're using a lossless format you should be able to get most of them on there. You could check the file sizes of the ones already ripped to extrapolate the total using Windows File Explorer or whatever the Apple equivalent might be.

But check Amazon and the like--name brand thumb drives have gotten really cheap and non-name Chinese even cheaper. Some name brand 64 GB USB 3.0 and 3.1 are going for around 10 bucks or a little more, free shipping if you have Prime.

But check Amazon and the like--name brand thumb drives have gotten really cheap and non-name Chinese even cheaper. Some name brand 64 GB USB 3.0 and 3.1 are going for around 10 bucks or a little more, free shipping if you have Prime.
That's because many of them are counterfeit! I just went through this with some USB drives I got off of eBay. They were listed as 256GB drives, and Windows even reported them as such. However, when you check them with a free program called FakeFlashTest, they turned out to really be 16GB.

I highly recommend you only get packaged brand name drives. And never buy them returned or used.

Walmart has 128GB Sandisk jump drives for $15. Those are obviously legit.

That's because many of them are counterfeit! I just went through this with some USB drives I got off of eBay. They were listed as 256GB drives, and Windows even reported them as such. However, when you check th. em with a free program called FakeFlashTest, they turned out to really be 16GB.

I highly recommend you only get packaged brand name drives. And never buy them returned or used.

Walmart has 128GB Sandisk jump drives for $15. Those are obviously legit.
I did not mean to suggest someone should buy a no-name Chinese product, thumb drive or otherwise. Sometimes they're good (like a PC battery I bought last year), sometimes not.

I wouldn't call what you describe counterfeits unless they had names like Samdisk or PMY intended to fool the inattentive. I'd say never buy anything with that kind of fakery. The ones you describe are just misrepresented, and if they're designed to fake out Windows then additionally fraudulent.

To your point, for as cheap as the name brand thumb drives happen to be it's hardly worth the risk buying some no-name Chinese to save a few bucks. I went with a couple of Samsung 256 GB with a high transfer rate fairly recently for $30 apiece plus tax, free shipping with Prime. Sandisk and PNY are also good names. I've had them both over the years. There are probably others with good reputations. Buy those, to be sure.

Returned or used? Not for me for something like this. I won't buy factory refurbished products either, though that probably does not apply here. Years ago I bought a couple of things refurbished and they failed in fairly short order. Never again.

I wouldn't call what you describe counterfeits unless they had names like Samdisk or PMY intended to fool the inattentive. I'd say never buy anything with that kind of fakery. The ones you describe are just misrepresented, and if they're designed to fake out Windows then additionally fraudulent.
Actually the counterfeit ones often look exactly like the originals, even to the same packaging. I've been bitten like this before too, getting a (real looking) Sandisk drive that was actually far smaller than the listed capacity. Oh, and from a US seller too.

I learnt that if it looks to good to be true...

Have you checked your library's website to see if they have audiobooks to download? My library used to have a huge number of books on CD (and before that cassettes) but now mainly offers downloads, rather than physical media.
This should have been on page 1. Are there libraries in the US that DON'T Offer this service?
There's an app most libraries use called, are you ready: LIBBY. Install Libby. Create account. Download audiobooks right to your phone.

A large number of libraries also use Hoopla for audio books, music and movies, even.
https://www.hoopladigital.com/
Every library has a different deal with Hoopla. Mine lets you "check out" 50 items a month.

Join us in the future brother. It's glorious. :D

Ha ha, I absolutely shouldn't post on this. Oh well. MY 2020 car came with CD player standard. (Of course I purchased it in Colombia, South America.)

@Pitter How about a weekend project where you take apart your vehicle and document how our North American models can be retrofitted with Mazda parts to add a factory CD player. :)

Back