How to access 2016 CX-9 upper rear shock mount?

:
Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016
Can anyone tell me how to get to the upper rear shock mount on my 2016 CX-9? I'm still trying to find the elusive source of a squeak. It goes away for a few minutes after I remove and replace the wheel. I can squeak it bouncing on the open rear hatch, but when I have a jack under the suspension with the wheel off, it'll bounce silently.

Also, I am not quite sure, but you may be able to access the shock mount by removing the side tray (the third row cupholder) ? It is held in by clips.

1623665706701.png

Thank you! I have the copy of the technical service bulletin and my problem is exactly as described. My VIN and date of manufacture is within the listed range. I'm waiting for a call back from the dealer service department...and waiting and waiting. Their service was much better when they took my money to buy the car. Actually not so much. They screwed up the name of the bank that had the lien, so the title and registration were inaccurate. After several calls I finally got the general manager, promised that my next call would be to the state department of licensing, and it got fixed. This is the same all-star service department that took the car in for an oil change, put the sticker on the windshield, and sent the car home with the dirty oil and filter untouched.

Youri, thanks for the info. According to the Mazda Service Program 49 the problem is the right rear upper spring seat rubber. A new spring seat and new spring are the fix. They pay the tech 0.4 hours to do the job--change out the spring in 24 minutes at the discount warranty rate. Out-of-warranty cars will get authorization so Mazda USA pays for the job.

I telephoned the dealership. The first number, after a long wait, was just a scheduling clerk. She forwarded it to the service counter. No answer, I left a message. 4 hours now and no call back. I called the dealership general number and asked for a service advisor. I gave him the info including my car info and the TSB & Mazda Service Program number. He insisted that I must pay for a $148 brake check; he was sure that after my mileage that I'd need brakes. I told him that I check my own brakes, they're fine, I wasn't paying for a brake check, but he could check whatever he wanted. And, he told me that I'd have to pay for the repair in spite of the TSB saying that the warranty would be extended to cover this after a pre-authorization. I quoted both the diagnostic procedure (takes about 30 seconds) and the wording of how the warranty would cover the costs. He still insisted that I must pay for both diagnosis and repair.

I've emailed Mazda USA with my questions about these two matters, and I asked them to answer my questions before they tell me to see my friendly (thieving) local dealer. Next step will be a letter to the dealership general manager asking why everything with his organization is a battle. My last recourse is to buy the parts myself for about $115 and do the work myself in about a half hour. I've got spring compressors (probably don't need it), I've got torque wrenches & an impact wrench, access is easy, and the full procedure is spelled out in the TSB.

What a pain. If you can, go see another dealer, you are not tied to the one you purchased the car from. (Although i understand that isn’t always possible based on location). I had a similar issue with a Ford i used to own. 2 local dealers were refusing to do the work. When i was out of town for a course, went to that dealer out of town and they did they work on warranty and that solved the transmission issue i had immediately. Different car and brand, but same dealer service issues.

I finally was in the area of the dealership and took the car in. I told the service writer I had a squeak...we went outside, the parking spot was on a slope, of course it wouldn't squeak. Drove across the lot to a flat spot and it squeaked real good. He didn't know what it could be, so I showed him the TSB. He took it inside to the mechanic, said, yes, there's a recall (not true--it's a service program not a safety recall) and it would take 2 hours, but they'd fix it under warranty. Again stretching the truth--I could fix it myself in less than an hour, but I'm not arguing with success. He has the kit, the new spring and rubber spring seat, in stock. We have a date to fix that and another service program, torque the lift gate hinge bolts.

The dealership was a ghost town. Few new cars, few used cars, few cars inside the shop. More service writers than service customers. They are part of a large multi-brand dealership and have sold Mazdas for more than 5 years--I got my 2016 there. I hope they aren't failing. The next nearest is over an hour farther away.

Back