GB: CorkSport Mazda Protege Skid Tray

Crap missed the group buy. I would even stop by and pick it up. I'm in Vancouver every other day.

finally got mine on. pretty painless. my bumper was a little tweeked from a couple curb taps. but it went on without any problems. only (small) complaint is i think i got the wrong hardware in my box. i only got 4 of the large rubber mounts and the bolts for the rear subframe were too long (the threads ended way before it was tight) so i had to add many washers to the top of the subframe.

the other thing, (which was my own damn fault) was i took the plastic factory trays all the way off. i then thought "wow, i think corksport made a mistake here, this will really leave my pulleys and belts exposed" i went back and *gasp* read the instructions...and it specifically said to leave them on...that added about 45 minutes to my install!

Thanks for the feed back on it. Glad you got it on. If you have any questions about the hardware you can always give us a call if you need something just let us know and we will get it out to you.

I know :) i was still VERY happy with it. and i was really impressed that i got a follow up call (Brian i think) asking if i was happy with it. none of the issues were bad enough that i felt like i needed to bug you guys about it

Picked one up this morning for the full price. I would of liked the group buy price but I guess that is what you get for not paying attention.

Last edited:
I am going to get mine powder coated though before I put it on. Probably Black but who knows maybe yellow to match the car.

Get a picture of that when you get it done. Yellow would be cool for sure.

I was thinking about that today and Yellow would definitely be cool. Luckily I have a local company that can do this size of piece. I am going to take it to them in the morning. Wonder if they can do a CorkSport logo on it. Not sure if you can do that with Powder coating since it needs to be baked.

Got the Skid tray back from powder coating today. Looks amazing!

1de3221b.jpg
[/IMG]

I'll probably get under the car today and get it installed. I am still thinking about taking the logo off the box and masking it on the and painting it on there. Hmmmm I don't know if I should or not.

That yellow skid tray looks awesome, might end up doing that to mine.

Anyway, I took pictures the last time I took my skid tray off so I could show you guys what I ran into.

So far, this thing has been rock solid and is so rigid when on the car, I love it. Unfortunately, I have broken one bolt on one of the smaller isolator bolts and two others have pretty much come apart on their own, so it's off right now until I can find 3 isolator bolts that have the same thread (I need to order them but can't remember thread number).

Here is a look from the front, you can see that there are multiple holes where each bolt is supposed to go. I had to drill a new hole a small distance to the front and towards the driver side of the car to get the bolts to match up to the mounting points on the car. It was interesting because each of the holes were off the exact same distance.

photo2-2.jpg

A different angle

photo4.jpg

And then another weird thing was the fact that the skid tray was too long to bolt right up to my subframe. YES I know you were supposed to drill two holes in the back on the outermost "arms" or whatever, but the holes that were in the skid tray were waaaay to far back so I had to drill into my subframe four times, rather than twice. Here is an up close pic of where I did this.

photo2-1.jpg

So there you have "my differences," but to tell you the truth, I could care less haha. I just wish I had the vibration isolator bolts to put this b*atch back on. Here is a hand-drawn, kind of overall view of what I had to do to the skid tray. I was bored as all hell in class and was thinking about what I had done the night before. Haha anyway, the small circles are pre-cut holes from CS, the "x's" are where I ended up having to drill to make it fit.

photo-2.jpg

That last hand drawing looks like the holding monster character from the seat company Bride. I will get Chris to look at the pictures you posted up.

-Derrick

Back