"ATTENTION" ALL 2017/2018 CX-5 owners

First, any poster with a convoluted stage name like the op automatically raises the troll flag for me. Computer generated stage names are a good sign of a [emoji83].

So, get your five pounds of salt ready.

BTW, just washed and QDed our CX5 a couple of days ago. I haven’t seen one chip yet.

First, any poster with a convoluted stage name like the op automatically raises the troll flag for me. Computer generated stage names are a good sign of a [emoji83].

BTW, just washed and QDed our CX5 a couple of days ago. I haven’t seen one chip yet.

You're awful quick to throw out the troll card my friend. I can think of about 5 instances of this in the past month or so... just sayin'.

His post history seems legit.

My Sonic Silver CX5 chipped excessively, but never deep enough to cause rust spots.

Must be a few trolls then according to the posts on this thread, the OP is not alone.

But the OP CLEARLY stated he doesn't tailgate.
And really OP? 150+?? That's crazy. YOU might have a defect. Is Mazda paint thinner then others? I've stayed out of these threads because I find them silly. We are always looking for something Mazda did wrong. I have paint chips, they must use cheap paint.

Fact: Mazda paint is no thinner then others. OK maybe not fact, but... everyone whines about chips. <-FACT :D

Bimerfest.com
"My E70 has been terrible for rock chips. The E88 it replaced was also terrible. Both much worse than my E46s form about 10 years ago. "
"Rock chips drive me nuts. My 2008 335 didn't have clear bra and had chips out the azz. That's with me babying the car and staying away from trucks. BMW is using a water based paint to be earth friendly. However, it's not road friendly."

Audiworld
"holy crap, my 2001 A6 never got so many paint chips on the front of the hood like my new 2012 A7,after only a few months its already riddled. Did they switch to thinner paint or something?"
"I hear ya. Our '11 car chips badly, our '06 car doesn't really chip at all. Massive difference."

Just Google "paint chips *brand*".
No one makes chip proof paint.

You're right. It's not a fact. It's inaccurate and Mazda paint IS thinner than most others others. Mazda is also using something they consider unique, their "waterborne VOC paint". It sucks compared to others. Japanese paint, typically, just doesn't compare well in the durability dept. I personally think GM paint and Chrysler paint is about as durable as it gets in non-luxury brands. I say "currently", because they've had lemons, too, but my GM and Chrysler paint held up far better than my Nissan, Mazda, and Infiniti paint, that's for sure!

The acid in bird poop is one of the most detrimental issues that affect vehicle finishes. You will probably need to clay bar and polish out the imprint left by our fine feathered friends. I leave a bottle of detailing spray and a microfiber towel in each of our cars to get that crap off the paint asap. Even have the wife trained!!

Bird crap is literally acid.

1. sorry for the language that I have used.(would you be mad if that happened to you)
2. BOUGHT A CAR IN SERIOUS ACCIDENT? There are only 4 miles when I picked up from the dealer!?
3. I'm complaining about the toughness of the paint (if Mazda's paint isn't weaker than other why so many chips )
4. If there is not a problem with this car WHY Mazda admit the problem?
5. I was told this car has two model they are built in different counties: US and Mixco. There might be a paint problem in one of the built and IDK what mine is built from.

I don’t get any pleasure from hearing somebody isn’t happy but you’ve described them as rock chips. That suggests to me that you acknowledge that stones (its terminology but here we consider rocks to be large stones) and that the paint didn’t come off on its own. I don’t accept that the paint is faulty or that the metal wasn’t prepared. They have more than enough safeguards to stop that happening on a mass production line. If you are saying that Mazda admit the problem you have nothing to worry about. If you are saying that a Mazda dealer told you there is a problem, half of them don’t know what day it is and I’ve listened to some simply unbelievable comments from dealer employees that would get fired if the company knew they were making them.

I ASK YOU AGAIN - WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM THIS THREAD? If you think that us all moaning about the paint will change the situation with your car you are very disillusioned. If Mazda told you there is a problem they will sort it out and in that case what do what you want. However, you are behaving like Mazda (and I MEAN Mazda not an agent) are not doing what you want. Do you want your car painting or do you want to return your car and get your money back? You have to go through the process like some of the others have done. Report it to the dealer and write to Mazda as a back up. If you tell them rocks have chipped your paint they will say well don’t drive into them. If you are not saying that, stop calling them rock chips so they know what you are talking about. There is guidance in the manual about where to drive to avoid stone chips.

And no, while the f word doesn’t offend me, it might offend some and if you can’t control it don’t post no matter how mad you are. While I’m on my soap box, if you approach a Mazda dealer by ranting at them you’ll never get it sorted out.

Had the exact same issue with a 2016 Mazda 3 deep crystal blue. Only got Mazda to cooperate after filing a BBB complaint. They eventually covered 1/2 cost of nearly a full repaint. Not a perfect solution, but this is a tough one to argue. If you're keeping records of repair shop visits and or have a corporate case number for the issue, this is an option.

Here is the part of the manual about stone chipping. Note the part about temperature, could that be part of the problem?

Note to those commenting on paint thickness. Why does thin paint mean brittle paint? How do you know thin paint isn’t more flexible that thick paint. You need to take advice from the manufacturer that has done all the tests rather than speculate.

Screen_Shot_2018-03-07_at_16.54.05.png

Another paint chipping thread with a sensational title? Ugh.

Yeah Mazda paint chips. This isn't new news. My 2014's hood and front end is riddled with small chips probably to the tune of the same numbers you have OP. But they are so small that I can't even really get a good picture to show. You have to be up close.

That's the nature of it. That new, then yeah might be a defect. Who knows. Mine is 5 years old and I didn't do a good job protecting or waxing the paint in the first 4, so that's on me.

You're awful quick to throw out the troll card my friend. I can think of about 5 instances of this in the past month or so... just sayin'.

My Sonic Silver CX5 chipped excessively, but never deep enough to cause rust spots.

Trust but Verify is a good philosophy to live by but on the Internet I Verify then Trust. Use many sources to research thing. For example, do you go by the online reviews when buying from Amazon etc? A good portion of those are paid posters. Not something to rely on.

Mazda does have thin paint on their vehicles. That has been known for years. All Japanese brands are known for this. There is nothing new about it.

If this poster has this issue as he says he does, his ranting is not going to help. He should be directing his concerns to Mazda and corporate. 150 chips is a lot. I would like to see a pic or two.

As someone has already said, if the op is going to the dealer in the same manner he posts here, he may not get as far as he wants.

Note to those commenting on paint thickness. Why does thin paint mean brittle paint?

That's a good point actually. So... thick paint doesn't chip? Wouldn't thicker paint still chip but no show primer I'm guessing is the argument for thicker paint?

When I got my CX-5, I nearly immediately had a clear bra (XPel) installed by an extremely well-regarded and experienced installer. I talked with him quite a bit about paint in general, rock chips, durability, etc. He explained that most manufacturer's are using environmentally friendly water-based paint and that it is inherently softer as well as more prone to rock chips. That's not news to most here, but in his experience he's seen vehicles from a wide range of manufacturers (majority high-end) and said none are significantly worse or better than others... at least not when it comes to chipping. His advice wasn't to avoid certain manufacturers or certain paint colours, but to drive intelligently if you want to avoid paint damage.

That's still all anecdotal of course, but personally I give more weight to years of anecdotal evidence from someone who deals with paint and cars for a living than individual accounts on a car forum.

All that said, I'm sure it's possible that a "bad batch" of paint could result in a rash of issues for manufacturer or particular vehicle. Or maybe issues with application (bad robots?) for a period of time that produced some cars with a sub-standard paint job. Owners of those vehicles would rightly be pissed and entitled to redress of some kind. I would be surprised to learn, though, that a manufacturer is consistently and broadly churning out paint jobs that are demonstrably worse than another equivalent company.

I'm reading this post and if you get chip marks on your paint it doesn't matter if you have thick or thin paint. If the OP can show Mazda that there is a paint flaw then he'd have a case but if there just chip marks whos to say he didn't come up on a gravel truck and get bombarded. I'm not saying the OP is lying but a chip mark is a chip mark, we all have gotten them.

Last edited:
When I got my CX-5, I nearly immediately had a clear bra (XPel) installed by an extremely well-regarded and experienced installer. I talked with him quite a bit about paint in general, rock chips, durability, etc. He explained that most manufacturer's are using environmentally friendly water-based paint and that it is inherently softer as well as more prone to rock chips. That's not news to most here, but in his experience he's seen vehicles from a wide range of manufacturers (majority high-end) and said none are significantly worse or better than others... at least not when it comes to chipping. His advice wasn't to avoid certain manufacturers or certain paint colours, but to drive intelligently if you want to avoid paint damage.

That's still all anecdotal of course, but personally I give more weight to years of anecdotal evidence from someone who deals with paint and cars for a living than individual accounts on a car forum.

All that said, I'm sure it's possible that a "bad batch" of paint could result in a rash of issues for manufacturer or particular vehicle. Or maybe issues with application (bad robots?) for a period of time that produced some cars with a sub-standard paint job. Owners of those vehicles would rightly be pissed and entitled to redress of some kind. I would be surprised to learn, though, that a manufacturer is consistently and broadly churning out paint jobs that are demonstrably worse than another equivalent company.

This is my understanding as well. The new water based paints are not as durable as the older ones. This is also one reason most detailing experts highly recommend quality microfiber towels and car wash soap with lubricant properties. Cotton terry towels are a big no no.

Another point to consider is that auto manufacturers get their paint from a handful of companies just like many components come from certain companies like Denso, Johnson Controls, etc.

If youve got 150 stone chips it means that 150 objects have hit it with sufficient force to chip the paint. If your rear light and your bumper are falling off it means that somebody has had them off and not put them back properly and by the sounds of your misaligned panels it sounds like you bought a car that has been in quite a serious accident before you got it - dont dismiss it, it happens more often than you think. Your subject title of attention all 17 and 18 owners is an attempt to rally support to complain about a car when there is nothing to complain about. Ive got a 17 in SRC and yes, after 7 months and 9000 miles Ive got maybe 4 or 5 paint chips but our roads are badly maintained and in an appalling state so given the amount of times I hear missiles bounce off it Ive got nothing but praise for just how tough the paint is. Nothing rattles this is the quietest and most rattle free car Ive ever had) and nothing is falling off it.

You might not be happy and if that is the case, get rid of the bloody thing but if you think Im jumping on the dissatisfied band wagon with you Im not. This car is my most favourite Ive ever had and if youve bought a pup, fire your own bullets.

FALSE! Paint chips are not from rocks and stones. I complained to Mazda about the chips in my hood. They had a paint inspector look at it, and he confirmed that these chips are not from objects hitting my hood. It's a defect in the paint or in the application process. The biggest indicator of a defect is that the paint chips are appearing in clusters, and are not randomly spread out over the hood, as you would expect if they were from objects randomly hitting your car.

Mazda agreed to have my hood replaced, and repainted free of charge. More people definitely need to speak up on this.

Funny, my 2014 Sonic silver GT looks almost new with not a rock chip to be found. Driven her almost 100,000 miles up and down the eastern seaboard.

FALSE! Paint chips are not from rocks and stones. I complained to Mazda about the chips in my hood. They had a paint inspector look at it, and he confirmed that these chips are not from objects hitting my hood. It's a defect in the paint or in the application process. The biggest indicator of a defect is that the paint chips are appearing in clusters, and are not randomly spread out over the hood, as you would expect if they were from objects randomly hitting your car.

Mazda agreed to have my hood replaced, and repainted free of charge. More people definitely need to speak up on this.
There was obviously a defect on yours. 150+ chips is not normal.

There was obviously a defect on yours. 150+ chips is not normal.

I'm not the one that had 150+ chips. I only had about 6 at the time of the inspection, and the inspector was able to immediately identify that the issue is a defect, not rocks.

I didnt say paint chips are from rocks, I said rock or stone chips are from rocks or stones. The OP is saying that they are rock chips and that is what Ive been trying to clarify. Shows a photo of this faulty paint.

Back