2002 Protege 5 Cooling Fan Issues

eclyburn3

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
2002 Protege 5, Automatic.

Ok, so my cooling fans are not coming on, after some playing, not sure what happened, the main one (driver side) was spinning, then slowed down real slow but still spinning, need to check if still going).

I have checked the AC cooling fan (passenger side, direct connect to battery, so I know its working).

I have replaced both 30 AMP fuses on fuse box under hood of car, replaced both relays, and the Temp sensor unit (mine has two prongs on top, I am assuming one if for the gauge on the dash, and one for the fans).

I am at a loss as to what is left. with fuse box top off, and engine running, I can hear/feel the relays clicking, (telling me signal is going to the fans??), but fans don't come on.

When Idling with AC off, temps gauge runs up about half way, never higher. While driving around town/highway same thing.

Today, I was running around town, both back roads, and highway, no issue, was even running AC, blowing fairly cold, then hit a traffic jam, and temp instantly shot up, turned off AC, kicked onto heat (through defroster) to high, and got off highway, soon as I started going, temp gauge instantly went back to halfway, telling me the thermostat should be working, just not the fans blowing air across the radiator.

This all started the other day, the radiator blew up. Literally, top corner gave, busted the plastic and everything. So I put in a new radiator, and happened to notice that it was still trying to overheat. I know this car is a pain in the rear to get full of antifreeze, so figured that was the issue, and finally got it full....which I now can run around without an issue as long as I keep the AC off, and avoid traffic jams (apparently).

This was when i noticed the fans were not going, and this is where I am now??? Before this, the car ran fine (the AC never really blew really cold, but about average from other cars I've been in) but no issues on temp.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know this may sound stupid and I don't mean to insult you but did you unplug them while doing the radiator and not plug them back in? Could you have missed re-attaching a ground?

If that's not it, follow the power and ground from the battery to the relay. If you can hear the relays clicking I'd focus on the contact side of the relay (terminals C & D).

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply.

I am assuming you mean the fans themselves?

But yes, I did make sure they are plugged in, the wires are inside a coupling that plug to the fan, its not like a bolt on to the fan, the wires come into a harness, and go under the body/fender between headlight body and fender itself. really not wanting to remove the headlight housing to remove the harness if I don't have to.

I do believe I can hear the relay's clicking, I kept my fingers on them and can feel the main one click, so I believe its getting the signal....just not really sure what to check from there.

I suppose I could try to unplug the fan, and check wires with a meter, and wait for the relay to kick, but not really sure what I would be looking for?? to see if the signal is coming from relay to the fan itself???

the relay is a block box that plugs into the top of the fuse box, what do you mean by focus on terminals C & D?

I was looking at the wiring diagram so I didn't realize where the plugs/relays are. According to the manual the relay contacts (as opposed to the coil) is pins C & D. These labels maybe imprinted into the fuse block or on the relay itself. You might need a magnifying glass and strong light to read them. If you short C & D with a jumper the fan should come on. If it does you have a control or relay problem. If it doesn't you have a power wiring problem. If it's power I would try running from the battery straight to the fan to verify the motor is working.

TY, I will try that, might just hotwire them to the ignition so they run non-stop....I don't want to mask an issue, cause it could result in other issues down the road...but I will give that a shot this weekend, see if that helps.

I've had some trouble with mine. The retainer on the plug was broken and not holding the plug together. I epoxied it in there, and it's been fine. Wiggle the plugs and see if either fan comes on.

Beat on the fan motors a little with a ratchet handle or something. If they start or try to spin, the brushes in the motor are worn. If that's the case, time for new motors.

Check for voltage at the plugs as well.

Back