20,000 miles in a CX5 GT-R...

How you cannot like cruise control is hard to understand, especially on long highway drives.
I don't care how good you are with your right foot, there's no way you can focus continually on your speedo, and keep a steady speed, for any length of time.
It's physically and mentally draining.

On top of them, you get better mileage when using cruise control.

Used to hate that when you slow down and re-engage cruise it used to take off at a high rate of speed to get back to the set speed.

And you could never really perfectly get the exact speed you needed. You were either creeping up on the guy in front of you, or you were slowly falling behind.

That's the one thing I really love about the Radar Cruise...moreso than the Set It & Forget It benefit.

I don't think you do at all. It over revs to pull hills, and starts the pull later than it should. I time the hills, and CC can't come close to the mileage I get.

Granted, this is without ACC, but I'm also one of those who couldn't care less about CC. I use it once in a blue moon, if that.

I don't think you do at all. It over revs to pull hills, and starts the pull later than it should. I time the hills, and CC can't come close to the mileage I get.

Granted, this is without ACC, but I'm also one of those who couldn't care less about CC. I use it once in a blue moon, if that.

I do agree that it's terrain-specific.

On mostly-flat/gently-inclined highways, I think it helps. But you're 100% right on rolling hills.

I have a 5 mile stretch of 55 MPH highway between me and the stores I frequent, and because it's hilly I don't use CC the entire drive for the very reasons you cite. As you said, it can't anticipate the inclines...the car brakes heading downhill only to floor it 2 seconds later going back up.

Also, having moved from the DC area to a place where I only encounter 2 stop signs on the 16 mile drive to my bank, the features that I enjoy having here would hardly (if ever) get used in Northern Virginia traffic.

There's also nothing more annoying than travelling on an interstate behind someone that doesn't have or use cruise.
They are not hard to pick out. They go from 55, to 80, and everything in between, with no consistency.
They also always slow down on an incline, and speed up going downhill. Super annoying.
The first time I drove a car with cruise control, I swore I'd never have another car without it.
Now that I have a car with adaptive cruise, I'll never have another vehicle without that feature either.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

They are also the ones that come flying up on your rear bumper as though you're sitting still, and when you pull over to let them go by, they get beside you and match your speed.

I'll give the Radar Cruise a try on my next long drive.

I use 87 so my fuel is 65/cents a gallon (currently) less expensive than premium fuel. I like that you can use regular (with reduced HP) on the turbo model for cross country drives to save money. I know I would only want to use premium driving around town.

Last edited:
I'll give the Radar Cruise a try on my next long drive.

I use 87 so my fuel is 65/cents a gallon (currently) less expensive than premium fuel. I like that you can use regular (with reduced HP) on the turbo model for cross country drives to save money. I know I would only want to use premium driving around town.

Why? Unless you're running 4000 rpm's plus you're not getting any added benefit from premium.

I definitely use WOT all the time, but I use 87 (regular) octane as there is no benefit in using premium in the standard engine.

If we had the non turbo, I would also be WOT most of the time. Pretty much the reason we opted for the 2.5l T. :)

Why? Unless you're running 4000 rpm's plus you're not getting any added benefit from premium.

There are those who claim that--due to the timing adjustments the engine makes for premium--it reduces the risk of oil dilution.

Yeah, I heard that to, especially on the CR-V forum. Somebody needs to produce some data.

There are a couple of threads around here where folks get into their thought process on it, but I've not seen any specific lab analysis.

Does the CR-V adjust its timing for different octanes? This theory makes more sense in an engine that does...at least there's a combustion change that could support the idea.

Yeah, I heard that to, especially on the CR-V forum. Somebody needs to produce some data.

Actually, on the Cr-V forum they are claiming the opposite. UMRdyldo (yes, actual username) ran a bunch of logs that showed higher octane made the issue worse.

Actually, on the Cr-V forum they are claiming the opposite. UMRdyldo (yes, actual username) ran a bunch of logs that showed higher octane made the issue worse.

I've read the same thing regarding CR-Vs.

I cannot find any data on the web regarding the effect of premium gas on OD in engines that adjust their timing (or richness) based upon detected octane. There are a few articles on "Does premium gas help reduce OD?" in general, but we're really trying to see if the engine's timing (or richness) change affects OD, not the mechanism that caused such engine changes. In Mazdas, we're [obviously] only discussing the turbo.

I don't recall who here I've seen make the "premium fuel reduces OD in the turbo" assertion...more than once. I just searched and can't find his comments. I'd start a new thread specifically to discuss this, but absent specific lab tests & data, it's all conjecture.

Nice write up. Ive had my GT-R for the same amount of time but half the miles. I agree with everything you said, but some things bother me more than you.

The transmission is towards the top of my complaints. I think you described the issues quite well. Temperature is a huge factor in mine. Shift flair on the 1-2 when cold is terrible. 100% gone once at operating temp. It also acts confused when slowing down to around 10-15 mph for a turn. Get back on it and it hesitates, bit of a flair, then settles. If I manually select 2nd in the same scenario, its not an issue(unless its not at operating temp). I suppose it could be a result of the AAS someone posted. Although it seems like that will hold gears longer, which shouldnt result in flairs.

Second to that is the seats, which you also noted. I dont have much meat on my bones. My thighs are almost throbbing after an hour.

I am surprised you didnt note the power loss issue that occurs below freezing. Did you ever get any answers on that?

Nice write up. I*ve had my GT-R for the same amount of time but half the miles. I agree with everything you said, but some things bother me more than you.

The transmission is towards the top of my complaints. I think you described the *issues* quite well. Temperature is a huge factor in mine. Shift flair on the 1-2 when cold is terrible. 100% gone once at operating temp. It also acts confused when slowing down to around 10-15 mph for a turn. Get back on it and it hesitates, bit of a flair, then settles. If I manually select 2nd in the same scenario, it*s not an issue(unless it*s not at operating temp). I suppose it could be a result of the AAS someone posted. Although it seems like that will hold gears longer, which shouldn*t result in flairs.

Second to that is the seats, which you also noted. I don*t have much meat on my bones. My thighs are almost throbbing after an hour.

I am surprised you didn*t note the power loss issue that occurs below freezing. Did you ever get any answers on that?

I should have noted those, and no, no answers have been had, although a tech at my dealership does have a CX9 and reports same.

I should have noted those, and no, no answers have been had, although a tech at my dealership does have a CX9 and reports same.

Could you describe the power loss issue again, just for posterity? It's starting to get colder here (3c as I type this), and I wouldn't mind testing for the issue on my own CX-9.

Could you describe the power loss issue again, just for posterity? It's starting to get colder here (3c as I type this), and I wouldn't mind testing for the issue on my own CX-9.

Below about 20*F, it is as though it does not generate boost. It is as though you removed the turbo. I mean this literally, and without nuance.

Back