Search results

1. D

SoCal Mechanic Recommendations?

Can anyone recommend a mechanic in the Los Angeles area who is very knowledgeable about the MP5 or MSP (FS-DE)?
  2. D

Need a Car Cover for Protege5

My P5 has been sitting in the drive way for a few month now. I need to buy a car cover to protect it from the elements (mostly the hot sun in southern California). I've never had a car cover before, so I don't know anything about them. I know there are some thick ones and some really cheap...
  3. D

Cylinder head: FS2 and FS9 casting, any difference?

The head repair shop told me that the cylinder head off my 2002 Protege5 needs to be repaired. So right now I am trying to find out all the options I have before making any decision. I saw online that there is a reconditioned cylinder head for sale that's a FS2 casting for about the same...
  4. D

HOw to remove crank pulley?

HOw to remove crank pulley? It must not be complicated, since I couldn't find any info on this in forum, and many owners have udp or lightweight pulley installed. The service manual mentions using a SST, but just wondering if there is an easier way.
  5. D

Cylinder head bolts

This probably a newbie question, but I didn't want to proceed unless I am sure. I was trying to remove the cylinder head on my P5 today. When I get to the cylinder head bolts, I found these (see attached image). What's shown in the picture was not from my car, it was an image from another...
  6. D

Rear engine mount question (Medieval)

Someone suggested replacing the rear motor mount while I have the intake manifold removed. I believe the rear engine mount currently on the car is one with homemade urethane insert (Devcon Flexane 80 shore). I wondering how big of improvement, if any, would a Medieval rear motor mount make...
  7. D

removing engine head. Any advice or tips?

I am planning to pull the engine apart to check if I got a blown head gasket or something worst. This is the first time I'll be doing something like this, so most likely I'll run into some trouble. I am gonna take my sweet time to do this, so probably gonna take a few weekends. Like to get...
  8. D

Coolant leaking, blown head gasket or else?

The coolant in my P5 had been leaking. However, no visible leak under the hood, no murky oil when examining the dipstick. At first I just thought maybe it was the radiator cap or something, but I beginning to think it is an internal leak. When accelerating from a stop I can hear water...
  9. D

Leaking air from EGR

I've been having misfiring problem with my protege5. While trying to search for the cause, I realized that my car was burning lean. So one of the thing I did was trying to find a air leak. I hook a smoke machine up and realized that the EGR (or some place close to the EGR, hard to see due to...
  10. D

Another P5 with 5th gear popping out. What can it be?

Well, I am having the 5th gear popping out problem. I know there are a few threads here talking about similar problems (and I've tried to read them all). It seems like there are a few possibilities for the cause: Synchronizer, linkage, mount, etc. I like to think it is not the synchronizer or...
  11. D

Yakima vertical Mighty Mounts 14H or Mazda attachment brackets?

Just bought a pair of Yakima bike carrier, but need attachment brackets to mount it onto factory roof rack. The bike carriers will work with Yakima vertical Mighty Mounts (won't work with Universal Mighty Mounts). I read in another thread that Yakima Vertical Mighty Mounts 14H is not a...
Back