Yakima vertical Mighty Mounts 14H or Mazda attachment brackets?

Just bought a pair of Yakima bike carrier, but need attachment brackets to mount it onto factory roof rack. The bike carriers will work with Yakima vertical Mighty Mounts (won't work with Universal Mighty Mounts). I read in another thread that Yakima Vertical Mighty Mounts 14H is not a perfect fit for P5's factory roof rack, but nonetheless it will work. I also saw that Mazdastuff.com is selling bike rack attachment brackets (Mazda part number 0000-8L-J01) that will work with a Yakima bike carrier. Now, Is this bike rack attachment brackets from Mazda made specifically for P5 roof rack (perfect fit)? Or perhaps it is just the same exact thing as Vertical Mighty Mounts 14H? Does anyone know?

I can't answer your specific question, but I am working on a custom bike rack for my p5 right now, and can tell you how I mounted it to the roof rack...

When you take the endcaps off of the cross bars, you will see that the factory roof rack actually has t-channels in it. So I just bought some 3/16 x 1" steel from Lowes, and cut it to 13/16" x 1" I then drilled and tapped a 1/4" hole and used a grade 8, 1/4 x 20 bolt to attach the rack. It's a prefect fit, and worked out quite well...

(By the way, I was going to do a how-to on a custom bike rack for the P5- but it got too intense and I didn't think people would be able to follow it. I may still post progress pics in a different thread though...)

Anyway- attached are pics of how I accomplished the mounting. I hope it helps you...

Attachments

• 100_0770.JPG
    100_0770.JPG
    721.8 KB · Views: 342
  • 100_0772.JPG
    100_0772.JPG
    711 KB · Views: 270
Just bought a pair of Yakima bike carrier, but need attachment brackets to mount it onto factory roof rack. The bike carriers will work with Yakima vertical Mighty Mounts (won't work with Universal Mighty Mounts). I read in another thread that Yakima Vertical Mighty Mounts 14H is not a perfect fit for P5's factory roof rack, but nonetheless it will work. I also saw that Mazdastuff.com is selling bike rack attachment brackets (Mazda part number 0000-8L-J01) that will work with a Yakima bike carrier. Now, Is this bike rack attachment brackets from Mazda made specifically for P5 roof rack (perfect fit)? Or perhaps it is just the same exact thing as Vertical Mighty Mounts 14H? Does anyone know?

The Mazda brackets are what I used to attach my Yakima Cobra to my factory rack. They are made from aluminum whereas the Mighty Mounts are plastic. I've used the Mazda brackets for 5 years with no issues.

I'm not sure if they're made specifically for the P5 - I would assume so as I haven't seen another Protege with the factory rack.

One helpful note, before you tighten the bike trays down on the mounts slide them forward and open the hatch. They will hit the hatch if they're back too far. My Cobra rack carries the bike upright with the wheels attached, so I mounted them with the bike facing backward to prevent them from hitting the hatch.

Take your time mounting them, and you'll do a good job. It takes a little tweaking to get things just right. Good luck!

PS - Sorry for the big images, but wanted you to get a detailed view. Let me know if you need more - I'll dig them up.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    635.5 KB · Views: 1,548
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    673.7 KB · Views: 290
12v mighty mounts are what I use, but they're for a snowboard rack. They came up a few years back on a thread here. They are a perfect fit on my factory roof rack, with no play once they're tightened. You should look into them.

Back