Another P5 with 5th gear popping out. What can it be?

Well, I am having the 5th gear popping out problem. I know there are a few threads here talking about similar problems (and I've tried to read them all). It seems like there are a few possibilities for the cause: Synchronizer, linkage, mount, etc. I like to think it is not the synchronizer or anything inside the transmission, cause that would be more costly to fix. Anyway, today I found another thread regarding this:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123704976

My problem is pretty much the same, I can shift and stay in 5th at around 20~25 mph. But won't work when going faster than 35 mph (it will pop out once I release the clutch). In that tread, the guy said he can shift into 5th if he didn't push all the way to the right. SO I figured I'll jump into my car and give it a try and see if I get similar results for my car. Unfortunately for me 5th gear will pop out no matter what. So after testing this out, I guess out of fustrations, I stepped on the clutch, shift into 5th and jerk it eratically a bit while the shifter is in the fifth position (not engage, since foot still on the clutch). All of the sudden, I hear a very faint whinning/spinning sound (sorry, I really don't know the best way to describe it), but now I am UNABLE to shift into any gear. I'm not talking about popping out, I can't push the shifter into any one of them.

"Crap! I messed it up even more" I thought. "How am I gonna get home?"

Luckly the road slopes down and I was able cruise until I find a side street within walking distance from my place. I came to a complete stop by the curb and switch off the engine. I took a deep breath and thought I would give it another try. So I started up the engine, and to my pleasant surprise, now I can shift into 1st, then 2nd, then 3rd, and 4th again (still popping out of 5th).

What a relieve, but completely dumbfounded. Why would it do that? can someone maybe clue me in as to what might cause this? Does this mean that it definately is the synchronizer that is the problem?

By the way, I have a protege5 but a MSP transmission with wielded LSD (at least that is what the previous owner told me).

Usually popping out of 5th gear is caused by the shifter forks being worn or bent. Another cause may be damaged or worn linkage or linkage bushings. Another possibility could be worn or damaged engine/transmission mounts. Worn Synchronizers are not normally the cause of popping out of gear. I have owned three rear wheel drive cars that popped out of gears and in each of them the cause was
worn fingers on the shifter forks. If it isn't linkage or engine mounts the problem is inside the transmission and it will have to be partially disassembled to correct the problem. On most cars the transmission will have to be removed.

Clifton

^ ditto.

And for all you "Rolling. In my 2 POINT OH..." [Vanilla Ice]

Quit lugging it!! Don't shift to 5th until RPMs are >3K and don't let it go below 2K usually. Don't accelerate in 5th unless RPMs are >4K-ish. Downshift. {this message from your engine! [you are KILLING me ;) ] }

Shift forks are not robust in this car - go easy on 'em, eh?

I read here that our 5th gear can be inspected without taking the whole tranny out. Just pop the black cover off. If I do that would I be able to find out if the fork is the problem? Also what to look for when inspecting the linkage and engine mount? I like to do my best at troubleshooting before taking it to a shop.

i drove around with my 5th popping out for about2 to 3 months...I would have to hold into 5th until 1 day it just gave out and i had to get the 5th and reverse gears replaced along with all the lil links it broke inside....

not fun

I've been just driving in 4th gear (even on freeways). So what happened? did the teeth on your 5th gear got shredded? how much did you pay for the repair?

Back