Size/Quantity of cluster bulbs

canadian357

:
2003 Protege5, 1987 Honda Accord Type-R(rice)
Looking to replace the lights in my cluster. Does anyone know the how many of what sizes of bulbs I need?

Lemme look..........

According to the service manual....Instrument cluster illumination = 3.4 2, 1.4 2

Looks like two 3.4 watt bulbs and two 1.4 watt bulbs. Not sure what part number or bulb type that equates to tho. Just take them out and match them up would be my advice.

Last edited:
Don't mean to thread jack but,
I want to change my fan control buttons from orange to blue.
i know that there is a film on the buttons, does anyone know if i can just scratch off that film and put in blue leds?
also, is the film on the inside or outside of the buttons?

:)

There are two or three bulbs in the main gauge cluster. I can't remember exactly. And I think i12 is right in that they're 194s. When I purchased my P5 back in April of 2010, the first thing I did was swap out the bulbs in the gauge cluster and the HVAC. They were all so dim.

for just gauge illumination, the bulbs are...

qty (2) - 194 bulbs
qty (2) - 74 bulbs

Yes. Once you open up the gauge cluster, you'll see where they go. Just bring those bulbs with you to the store and match them up as best you can or get both sets of bulbs. They're about $5 each. You'll notice brighter illumination as the old bulbs will most likely have blackened glass. IIRC, I only needed to replace the two 194 bulbs.

yeah i want to get the bulbs before i take it off and get home so ill get a set of both and eh it will be open so ill just change them all lol.

Keep in mind to change P5 clusters to blue wont happen easily there is a orange colored filim in there.
I am not sure about the cluster but I know you can change the light they are 194s iirc

ya im just worried about replacing i beleive are the 2 bulbs that went bad. its bugging the life out of me and im tired of seing it like that lol time to fix them today

just two bulbs that went bad on the rev limiter numbers and the miles lol whichever those are

I just did this in my P5 over the weekend, so wanted to add my comments. The 194 bulbs behind the speedo and tach were easy, as the Sylvania (or whatever brand at AutoZone) were a direct fit. Hardest part was fitting the orange rubber covers back over, and that was really wasn't bad.

However, the 2 smaller bulbs on the sides (for fuel/temp guage and tach redline) are NOT the 74 size that I keep hearing about. The 74s I bought from 2 different stores didn't fit right, as they were too wide/large. I could force them into the socket connector, but it spread out the plastic sides such that I couldn't get the connector back into the back of the circuit board. Took them back to the store with the factory bulb, and it looked like #2723 (I think) was the closest size match. Wattage was a tad higher, but nothing major. The 2723s fit perfectly and worked great once I put it all back together.

Keep in mind I was using traditional incandescents, not LEDs. So it could be that #74 LEDs do fit. YMMV.

good info cuz my bulb for the milage towards 100+ is the one thats bad and then the one on the tach from 1-3 is bad so from the tach im guessing its the 2723 as u said and no the 74 right? but for the regular speed its the 194?

The darkness between 100mph on the speedo and 3K rpm on the tach is probably because of one single bad bulb #194. The other 194 bulb covers the left side of the speedo. The right side (redline) of the tach is lit by one smaller bulb. Basically two 194 bulbs and two 2723 bulbs will let you replace all the guage lights.

When I took mine apart the four guage bulbs had brown connectors. Those are the ones you want. There were about 10 more black connectors for all the other warning lights.

oh alright sound good thanks for the reply i still got some 2723s just incase and 194s. never know when ill need them if i dont use them for this

I used 2- 194's and 2-74's.. Im running blue led's on a custom cluster Im still working on all the led's fit fine and turn on..

Man, I don't get it! I could not for the life of me get my LEDs for my cluster to work. Tried turning them, not pushing them all the way down, swapping them... nothing. Where did you get your LEDs from?

changed mines wasent too bad only that one of the orange covers on one of the bulbs was ripped so i put it on with no orange thing. is that going to be a problem?

Back