What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Brand new battery, and the terminals still looked brand new. I’ll double check them. Curious about the engine light now since the other malfunctions have been Around for over a week but the engine code is new.

this is my 2nd cx5… my wife’s 2021 cx9 returns from lease in September and it’s not looking good for a new Mazda in my life.
You have a 2019 GT-R with only 16K miles, you may not have the new car warranty now but you do have powertrain warranty to cover you. The latest P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction is related to engine problem. If I were you I’d take the CX-5 to your Mazda dealer and let them diagnose the problem. $199 diagnose fee will be waived if you have any engine problem on the 2.5T. With all the 9 different error codes, I believe a Mazda dealer has the best chance to figure out the problem, although it can be expensive. But then you also have a chance to get covered if your problem is powertrain related. Even if it isn’t powertrain or emission device related which will be covered under warranty, you still can contact Mazda North American Operations trying to get some help on expenses as you have such a low miles on your CX-5.

You have a 2019 GT-R with only 16K miles, you may not have the new car warranty now but you do have powertrain warranty to cover you. The latest P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction is related to engine problem. If I were you I’d take the CX-5 to your Mazda dealer and let them diagnose the problem. $199 diagnose fee will be waived if you have any engine problem on the 2.5T. With all the 9 different error codes, I believe a Mazda dealer has the best chance to figure out the problem, although it can be expensive. But then you also have a chance to get covered if your problem is powertrain related. Even if it isn’t powertrain or emission device related which will be covered under warranty, you still can contact Mazda North American Operations trying to get some help on expenses as you have such a low miles on your CX-5.
So just an update… F the stealership… they wanted 200 for a diagnostic scan. Went to my local mechanic, threw the car on the scanner and ordered a $65 front driver side speed sensor. 10 codes for One sensor. Live and learn.

So just an update… F the stealership… they wanted 200 for a diagnostic scan. Went to my local mechanic, threw the car on the scanner and ordered a $65 front driver side speed sensor. 10 codes for One sensor. Live and learn.
Thanks for the update. It’s an opposite example where an Independent shop can do better than a car dealer. But:

Just back from the dealer, wasn't expecting this. Thanks Hawke for the TSB you posted. I told them about it and they were aware and stated my rotors matched the bulletin so they went ahead and replaced even though 2 months out of warranty as good will. This was my first time at this dealership, bought elsewhere and never serviced by any Mazda dealer.
View attachment 313233

Also just want to verify, the “front driver side speed sensor” seems to be the ABS speed sensor located at the driver side front wheel, but P0500 CEL, Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction, you’re getting indicates the different speed sensor used by the speedometer is malfunctioning. Has the shop replaced the ABS speed sensor and the warning lights are all gone?

Please let us know if the new part fixed the problem or if you're on to plan B.

Took my black on black 2018 CX-5 Sport "Speedracer" to the Mazda dealer today for check-up since I just purchased it last Wednesday with only 31K miles on it. First time Mazda owner so I figured best to make sure all is well with it. Had a few OBD codes showing via my bluetooth OBDII scanner which they checked and were benign. Owned a '17 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk prior but it was totaled in a rear-end collision. Body shop wanted $17K to fix and Allstate decided "NO WAY" and I don't blame them. They paid it off and gave me the balance which I used most of as a down payment on the Speedracer. So far am very pleased with the pep this little rocket has. Let's see how long this lasts me before someone decides to ruin my ride again.

Attachments

• 20230317_105153.jpg
    20230317_105153.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 46
Took my black on black 2018 CX-5 Sport "Speedracer" to the Mazda dealer today for check-up since I just purchased it last Wednesday with only 31K miles on it. First time Mazda owner so I figured best to make sure all is well with it. Had a few OBD codes showing via my bluetooth OBDII scanner which they checked and were benign. Owned a '17 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk prior but it was totaled in a rear-end collision. Body shop wanted $17K to fix and Allstate decided "NO WAY" and I don't blame them. They paid it off and gave me the balance which I used most of as a down payment on the Speedracer. So far am very pleased with the pep this little rocket has. Let's see how long this lasts me before someone decides to ruin my ride again.

This is the first time that I've heard of the CX being described as a rocket...

Glad to hear that you and Speedracer are getting along so well together.

Dropping it off tomorrow for the install. I will update
You might want to consider disconnecting the battery later today, leave it disconnected all night and reconnect it in the morning, before taking it to the shop. I've read multiple reports of lingering codes after a battery was replaced on the newer Mazdas, IMO most likely caused by one or more caps not being fully discharged. Then tomorrow, if you're fortunate enough to find no CEL/codes from your vehicle, you can tell them to return the part.

But in any case, I agree with yrwei52 that a wheel speed sensor is not going to be the solution for a problem having a code indicating a transmission VSS sensor issue.

A47170A9-9E8F-4F80-ACF8-035300661037.jpeg
All clear boys! Back in business. I reset the MPG before this photo, don’t mind that 😂

Yesterday I updated my MazdaConnect, which was a breeze going from some 59.X firmware to 74.00.324A. Seems a lot snappier, and it shows album artwork when connected to Bluetooth now (which it didn't before). To those who have done the CarPlay upgrade on a 16/16.5 CX-5, any tips or pointers? The YouTube video I watched didn't make it look too hard.

Just a sensor! Swapped it, cleared the codes (P0500) and were running great.
By 'a sensor', are you saying the wheel speed sensor eliminated the code? If so, are you sure that code wasn't a C0500 instead of a P0500?

By 'a sensor', are you saying the wheel speed sensor eliminated the code? If so, are you sure that code wasn't a C0500 instead of a P0500?
Yes, I ran the code myself… it was the front driver side speed sensor…

“A P0500 code is a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) titled “Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Malfunction.” This code is triggered when the vehicle's Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or Engine Control Module (ECM) detects inaccurate speed readings or lack of a signal from the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS).”

“A P0500 code is a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) titled “Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Malfunction.” This code is triggered when the vehicle's Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or Engine Control Module (ECM) detects inaccurate speed readings or lack of a signal from the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS).”
Ok, then this will remain a mystery to me, but in any case, glad to read the problem with your vehicle is resolved.

This is the first time that I've heard of the CX being described as a rocket...

Glad to hear that you and Speedracer are getting along so well together.
I call it "Speedracer" because the design (at least to me it does) reminds me of the cartoon of the same name that I used to watch many moons ago....

“A code is a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) titled “Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Malfunction.” This code is triggered when the vehicle's Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or Engine Control Module (ECM) detects inaccurate speed readings or lack of a signal from the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS).”
I agree with edmaz that the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) mentioned by P0500 is located at the output shaft of the transmission. The VSS is NOT the “front driver side speed sensor” which is used by ABS and TCS, and there’re 4 of them located at each wheel. How the P0500 code can pinpoint to the LF speed sensor but not any other 3 is a mystery to me too!

From what I’ve read. The ke had the sensor directly on the trans the kf moved it to the hub… experts correct me if I’m wrong

1D227FE8-5117-4B50-8430-5E6E10967599.jpeg

I call it "Speedracer" because the design (at least to me it does) reminds me of the cartoon of the same name that I used to watch many moons ago....

Oh I'm familiar with Speedracer. I can hear that theme song in my head right at this moment. I hope that it doesn't stay there too long though. I tend to do that, get a tune stuck in my head.

The design of the CX reminds you of the Speedracer car?

speedracermach5.jpg

If you say so. ;)

Oh I'm familiar with Speedracer. I can hear that theme song in my head right at this moment. I hope that it doesn't stay there too long though. I tend to do that, get a tune stuck in my head.

The design of the CX reminds you of the Speedracer car?

speedracermach5.jpg

If you say so. ;)

Yeah I know it's not true to the image since the nose is 3-pointed on the original Speedracer but the sleekness of the CX-5 nose is what brings back the memories....to go back to the early 60's....sigh.....

Back