Guide CX-5 Battery Installation

The battery location closer to the firewall is supposed to be for better weight distribution, not significant in my opinion but it makes changing the battery a bit more complex. The Miata has the battery in the trunk, much easier to change and that would contribute way more to a near perfect weight distribution.

Actually the battery location is worse on VW Passat B5/B5.5 (1997–2005) as the battery is located right in the middle of the room under the cowl below the windshield. I literally had to climb into the engine bay on the V6 and pull the battery out. My back would always be feeling funny after the removal and installing the battery on my 2001.5 Passat GLX.

Yeh I wonder why those batteries used on German vehicles always have a vent hole and hose from the battery top, but not on batteries used by others?

View attachment 317051

View attachment 317052
I don't know about your 2001.5 Passat V6 but my 2004.5 Passat 1.8T had a drain hole under the battery tray which got clogged by my neighbor's large blue spruce needles and I ended up with 11/2" of water on the rear passenger floor; impossible to see the needles before and prevent this from happening. At least no such thing on my CX-5!

G has what I consider bad engineering... all of the windshield water on passenger side is channeled to a drain under the battery..
"IF" this gets plugged water backs up into an electrical device called a IPDM which basically IIRC... manages all power management throughout the vehicle.... not a good day "power and water".... I make sure that drain along with my sunroof drains are clear all the time. I got bit by the clogged sunroof drains and water on the floor. Fortunately it didn't take out anything electrical but spent a week in the garage drying things out.

I don't know about your 2001.5 Passat V6 but my 2004.5 Passat 1.8T had a drain hole under the battery tray which got clogged by my neighbor's large blue spruce needles and I ended up with 11/2" of water on the rear passenger floor; impossible to see the needles before and prevent this from happening. At least no such thing on my CX-5!
Like Kedis82ZE8’s G35x, B5/B5.5 Passat has similar battery location, and similar problem with clogged drain hole right under the battery. But if your previous Passat had the moonroof, the water on the rear passenger floor actually is caused by the dislodged moonroof drain hoses mainly from the A-pillar down to a rubber drain valve on the body.

The transmission control module (TCM) for automatic on B5/B5.5 Passat is sitting on the floor under the front passenger seat, the flooding usually will kill the expensive TCM. Luckily my Passat was a 5-speed manual and It didn’t have the TCM when my Passat got flooded.

Like Kedis82ZE8’s G35x, B5/B5.5 Passat has similar battery location, and similar problem with clogged drain hole right under the battery. But if your previous Passat had the moonroof, the water on the rear passenger floor actually is caused by the dislodged moonroof drain hoses mainly from the A-pillar down to a rubber drain valve on the body.

The transmission control module (TCM) for automatic on B5/B5.5 Passat is sitting on the floor under the front passenger seat, the flooding usually will kill the expensive TCM. Luckily my Passat was a 5-speed manual and It didn’t have the TCM when my Passat got flooded.
I was a member of a Passat forum and was aware to watch for leaves clogging the drain holes but there was never any leaves there! I don't want to hack this thread but just to clarify my case; I had the sunroof and the drain hoses were fine but there was still water under the battery tray and when I removed the spruce needles (looked like beaver dam) and luckily my TCM was not damaged (I had the auto tranny). The water overflowed from the cowl into the heater A/C fresh air intake and ran through the rear heater duct. Not a good design IMO.

WARNING: the plastic terminal cover is pretty weak....I managed to snap mine off.

Here's a pic. The hood prevented me from getting directly over it and getting a better pic). The negative terminal/back end of the battery is positioned just enough under the the cowl that you can't pull the battery out straight up; hence the need to tilt the battery up at the positive terminal end and slide forward, up and out.

View attachment 317038
I also snapped the terminal cover recently after flipping it up about 100 times in the last year or so to connect my charger/maintainer. I prefer a soft vinyl type!

I also snapped the terminal cover recently after flipping it up about 100 times in the last year or so to connect my charger/maintainer. I prefer a soft vinyl type!
I went to my dealer today to get some parts and I've ordered a replacement cover today (I forgot the price but it's not cheap) and I'll be very careful not to lift it up too much anymore especially when it's cold (lesson learned) as it's made of thin hard plastic. The good news is that you don't need any tools to replace it, just push the tab to release it and lift upward :giggle:

I went to my dealer today to get some parts and I've ordered a replacement cover today (I forgot the price but it's not cheap) and I'll be very careful not to lift it up too much anymore especially when it's cold (lesson learned) as it's made of thin hard plastic. The good news is that you don't need any tools to replace it, just push the tab to release it and lift upward :giggle:
I'm interested re: price...if you come across it. (y)

I thought the terminal cover was more expensive (perhaps I misunderstood the clerk when I ordered it) but it's only $11.24 plus tax. Not worth trying to fix it with electrical tape or zip tie ;) P.S. On the pics you posted earlier, I noticed immediately the big red M Motomaster logo on your new battery so I knew you got it at good old Canadian Tire :). I've been getting mine at Costco for ages.

I thought the terminal cover was more expensive (perhaps I misunderstood the clerk when I ordered it) but it's only $11.24 plus tax. Not worth trying to fix it with electrical tape or zip tie ;) P.S. On the pics you posted earlier, I noticed immediately the big red M Motomaster logo on your new battery so I knew you got it at good old Canadian Tire :). I've been getting mine at Costco for ages.
That's good news! For that price, definitely worth replacing (y). Chose the Canadian tire battery over a NAPA battery that was significantly more expensive and less warranty. The CT battery comes with a 4 yr. warranty. Pro rated no doubt. The OEM battery lasted about 5 yrs. I have a funny feeling that's about as good as it's going to get our here in Alberta due to the very cold winters. Which also leads me to another item I'm likely going to need to add.....a block heater.

Cheers!

That's good news! For that price, definitely worth replacing (y). Chose the Canadian tire battery over a NAPA battery that was significantly more expensive and less warranty. The CT battery comes with a 4 yr. warranty. Pro rated no doubt. The OEM battery lasted about 5 yrs. I have a funny feeling that's about as good as it's going to get our here in Alberta due to the very cold winters. Which also leads me to another item I'm likely going to need to add.....a block heater.

Cheers!
You and I are exposed to cold winters, perhaps even more where you live. You may consider a battery warmer which you can buy at Canadian Tire and install it yourself easily, just remove the existing insulating sleeve before sliding the battery heater. I don't have one but I use a battery charger/maintainer, so far so good!

You and I are exposed to cold winters, perhaps even more where you live. You may consider a battery warmer which you can buy at Canadian Tire and install it yourself easily, just remove the existing insulating sleeve before sliding the battery heater. I don't have one but I use a battery charger/maintainer, so far so good!

I think I'll have to get a battery blanket for next year, good reminder

I think I'll have to get a battery blanket for next year, good reminder
As you probably know, extreme heat is harmful to batteries but extreme cold reduces capacity by about 50% so a weak battery will fail to start the vehicle in cold weather as you may get only 1/4 of the capacity.The other good thing with this battery blanket is that you can transfer it to your next vehicles as it's not a permanent installation. Of course good old jumper cables or lithium-ion booster pack can prevent you from getting stranded. Batteries can fail any time not just in winter and even after only 21/2 or 3 years, I know it happened to me a few times in the past decades! Sometimes I envy people living in Hawaii :cool:

I am in the habit of installing a new battery in my cars at the 48 month point, regardless of what the supposed warranty is. I have had too many batteries fail with no prior warning so I just replace them for peace of mind.

I understand that Walmart is about the best source for buying a replacement battery. I have a 2019 CX 5 GT Reserve (turbo engine) that will be 4 years old in May.

Can anyone provide the make and model number for the very best battery that will fit that is available at Walmart ? I want the best, not the least expensive. I'll do my own installation and return the core. Thanks

I am in the habit of installing a new battery in my cars at the 48 month point, regardless of what the supposed warranty is. I have had too many batteries fail with no prior warning so I just replace them for peace of mind.

I understand that Walmart is about the best source for buying a replacement battery. I have a 2019 CX 5 GT Reserve (turbo engine) that will be 4 years old in May.

Can anyone provide the make and model number for the very best battery that will fit that is available at Walmart ? I want the best, not the least expensive. I'll do my own installation and return the core. Thanks
I think you'll find Walmart recommendations are based on one particular battery--the Group 35 EverStart Maxx-N (North version), EverStart being a Walmart house brand. This battery has the virtues of being both highly rated by Consumer Reports and inexpensive.

The South version of this battery is not highly rated. Other Groups may not be offered or may not be so highly rated, I've not looked at them. If you're not in an area where the North version is sold or need something other than Group 35 I would not be sure if Walmart is your best option.

When I had one of these installed on a previous model, installation was included in the price. I'm not sure if there's any price brake installing it yourself, not something I bother with.

There’re only a few car battery manufactures in the US right now, Exide、 East Penn/Deka、and Brookfield. Johnson Controls used to be big but they sold their automotive battery business to Clarios in 2019. WalMart’s EverStsrt batteries used to be made by Johnson Controls but now they should be made by Brookfield or Exide.

For your CX-5 GT-R you want a Group 35 battery. For Group 35 battery WalMart has EverStart Plus (525 CCA、$99.76)、EverStart Maxx (640 CCA、$119.84)、EverStart Platinum (650 CCA、$159.84). The former 2 are flooded lead acid batteries and the later is an AGM battery. The only advantage of using AGM battery is it has no liquid so it won’t leak acid, and you can install it sideways. I’d choose EverStart Maxx for my CX-5.

A couple of years ago the Interstate Group 35 / 640 CCA battery selling for $78.99 at Costco is the best buy. Now with 40% price hike to $109.99 it’s no longer that obvious the best choice anymore.

Thanks guys. I'm aware that there are only a few actual battery manufacturers out there and many of the chain auto parts stores have them made up with their own house brand names and model numbers. Probably so you can't cross shop them. Kind of like mattresses.

I'll see about ordering one of the Everstart Maxx batteries and having it available for pickup at the closest Walmart location. What the heck, I may just spring for the AGM version. I know they are much lighter in weight so the installation should be a lot easier.

I'll see about ordering one of the Everstart Maxx batteries and having it available for pickup at the closest Walmart location.
The price should be the same whether you order the battery online or buy it at the store. I use the WalMart online order only to verify if they have the item in stock then go to the store to get it as these days out of stock seems to be a norm for the item I usually want.

What the heck, I may just spring for the AGM version. I know they are much lighter in weight so the installation should be a lot easier.
I did get a Group H8 EverStart Platinum AGM battery several years ago from WalMart for my 2000 BMW 528i but that’s only because it was cheaper than other standard flooded lead acid batteries I could find from ALL other brands. This AGM battery definitely isn’t lighter than the standard flooded battery when I put it in the trunk replacing the old OEM flooded battery.

Back