Detailing product for the trim?

Never used that product. I use 303 Aerospace on the exterior black plastic body trim - but not on the painted portions around the windows.

This is what I use and it works great! Not only on the paint but also on the trim, the entire car actually. In the past I've used products that would leave white streaks on the trim, not this stuff.

Meguiar's G18220 Ultimate Liquid Wax.

I bought a bottle last year and I just now checked it on Amazon. Looks like maybe the G18220 has been superseded by G210520. I wouldn't hesitate on buying that stuff as a replacement.

YMMV

This is what I use and it works great! Not only on the paint but also on the trim, the entire car actually. In the past I've used products that would leave white streaks on the trim, not this stuff.

I bought a bottle last year and I just now checked it on Amazon. Looks like maybe the G18220 has been superseded by G210520. I wouldn't hesitate on buying that stuff as a replacement.

YMMV

I've always heard good things about Meguiar's ULW. It goes on the trim without leaving a streaky residue/look? Nice.. would you happen to have any pics of the trim with the wax applied?

If I can avoid taping off the trim and chrome with this product, I will absolutely make the switch.

YMMV
To be clear you use the Cerakote Ceramic Trim Coat Kit and the Meguiars? Sounds like just the Meguiars.

I've always heard good things about Meguiar's ULW. It goes on the trim without leaving a streaky residue/look? Nice.. would you happen to have any pics of the trim with the wax applied?

If I can avoid taping off the trim and chrome with this product, I will absolutely make the switch.

I don't have any pics handy. The trim looks great though, just like the paint.

One of the nice things about this product is that when it dries it's almost clear. Meaning that if you don't get it all off, or some gets into the cracks between panels, it's not an eyesore. On the other hand, this means that you might not see all the dried wax and miss getting it all off.

When I first started using this stuff, I had some white residue on the plastic bumper of my pick-up from using another brand of wax. The Meguiars removed the white streaks, and the bumper looks great. It goes on easy and wipes off easy as well. I use it on all the body parts or all of my vehicles.

I don't think that you'll be disappointed with this stuff.

(Edited/updated): Is this the https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)(Cerakote Ceramic Trim Coat Kit) to get for doing the exterior black plastic trim? Buddy likes it but thought I'd check in here with other CX-5 owners.
If this is the product you're considering you should know it's for restoring black trim, not detailing:

I would not use it unless you are trying to restore graying plastic back to black. There are plenty of youtube videos that review this and other products for this purpose.

The plastic cowl on my Sienna had turned gray and in researching these products I decided to try Mother's Back to Black which appeared to be the least risky. It did a passable job and lasted quite a bit longer than I thought. Some of these products amount to paint; one review showed a paint-like product crazing after 6 months with no turning back, but I don't recall which one.

If this is the product you're considering you should know it's for restoring black trim, not detailing:

I would not use it unless you are trying to restore graying plastic back to black. There are plenty of youtube videos that review this and other products for this purpose.

The plastic cowl on my Sienna had turned gray and in researching these products I decided to try Mother's Back to Black which appeared to be the least risky. It did a passable job and lasted quite a bit longer than I thought. Some of these products amount to paint; one review showed a paint-like product crazing after 6 months with no turning back, but I don't recall which one.
Good point. A buddy of mine is using it on his brand new truck and he recommended it. I have some Meguiar's detailing spray I use but it's water-based if I go through the car wash it comes off. The trim I have seems to show some wierd smearing and whatnot. I do see graying (have had it for 6.5 years so probably haven't noticed the fade) a bit here and there. Sounded like this product was the way to go and especially for longevity.

I used the cerakote a couple of years ago on my 2 yr old CX5 and it left a shiny black on the cladding, you have to make sure you put it on evenly or it will look streaky and once it's on I don't think you can take it off. It's still on including the couple of spots that were left streaky, like the black around the top of the back door. If I was to use it again I probably would wait till I saw some grayish fading. I used it on a 15 yr old RAV and it looked pretty good.

I use Chemical Guys VRP and find it works remarkably well.
Super easy to apply, inexpensive, and turns the trim jet black.
I use it on the wheel well trim, and bumpers etc - not on the shiny, painted black trim between the windows etc.

Last edited:
For rejuvenating black plastic trim work, in 40+ years of shade-tree detailing I've yet to find anything as effective as these two products:

Pre-Wow cleaner @ AutoGeek
Black Wow restorer @ AutoGeek

Used as a pair, first cleaning and then restoring, it's fairly amazing how much better trim can look. With a good washing and clay bar, followed by the cleaning+restorer pair, it's really effective. Completely removes old residues and waxes. Dramatically reduces the visibility of "old" haze and oxidation that might be present on the part.

It seems to be fairly expensive stuff, but then a small dot of the stuff goes a long way. Comes as a 6oz cleaner and the 4oz restorer. Have done three car applications so far, and have well over half left. Have done grille plastic, side mirror trim, bumper trim, and trim work between the windows. What trim gets hit with these ends up looking good for a couple of years following the application, in my experience. A much deeper, richer black once all the gunk has been removed by this cleaner+restorer.

Impressed, despite the high initial cost ($15 for the cleaner, $30 for the restorer). Worth trying, if you haven't been impressed by the various "black restorer" products on the market. Whatever it is they put in this stuff, it's different.

Back