2022 CX-5 NA oil level question

... - as we know Mazda reccomends checking after driving while still hot - ...
We do not know that. For my 2018 the manual says, and I paraphrase from memory, 5 minutes - (or any amount of time more than that) - after warming up the engine then turning the car off.

That could be 5 minutes, or 2 days, after turning the car off.

We do not know that. For my 2018 the manual says, and I paraphrase from memory, 5 minutes - (or any amount of time more than that) - after warming up the engine then turning the car off.

I never check when hot, usually wait couple hours or next day. I'm pretty sure Mazda recommends the 5+ minutes. I'm sure that's so you don't check the oil right after turning it off before the oil has flowed back in the pan giving you a low reading.

FWIW, I checked the difference in dipstick oil levels between dead cold (50*F) and following Mazda’s recommended technique (run 30 minutes then check 5 minutes after turning off). The oil level checked hot was about 1-2 mm higher on the dipstick.

You’re absolutely correct and I agree with you totally. Here are the wordings from the 2018 CX-5 owner’s manual on how to check the oil level:

0600A292-48DF-4CE6-A7EE-D695B2DFF2BD.jpeg

08FBEF1E-A3DF-499B-8481-CA059F05D7F6.jpeg

It says “wait at least 5 minutes for the oil to return to the oil pan”. Yes that could be 5 minutes, or 2 days, after turning the engine off. The manual emphasizes “for the oil to return to the oil pan”, that’s the reason for waiting, nothing about hot oil temperature.

In addition, I’ve also compared the oil level measured hot and cold on my 2016 CX-5, there’s almost no difference between the two:

Hot (5 minutes after the engine turned off):
165FF58C-1F7A-442F-91BC-5B908B44007D.jpeg

Cold (next day in the morning before the engine start):
56EAA72E-40B0-4BFA-AA6A-FABE00F4D477.jpeg

That’s why I always check the oil level the first thing in the morning before the engine start. It only needs one pull on dipstick, no wipes, and the oil level is much easier to see.

FWIW, I checked the difference in dipstick oil levels between dead cold (50*F) and following Mazda’s recommended technique (run 30 minutes then check 5 minutes after turning off). The oil level checked hot was about 1-2 mm higher on the dipstick.
That has been my observation. The takeaway is that it doesn't really matter if you wait 5 minutes or overnight unless it reads near the low mark after 5 minutes. In that case you should top it up anyway. If it reads at the full mark after 5 minutes and cold a bit above--meh. The high and low marks are there for a reason--a range of acceptable tolerance with a little more tolerance than that likely built in. The advantage of reading when cold is it's easier to get a clean read on the stick.

Thing I don't understand about the Mada instructions is the part about warming the engine up to "normal operating temp". If the purpose is to get the oil back into the pan wouldn't sitting overnight or an hour or two allow the oil to drain down? Why the part about warming up?

That has been my observation. The takeaway is that it doesn't really matter if you wait 5 minutes or overnight unless it reads near the low mark after 5 minutes. In that case you should top it up anyway. If it reads at the full mark after 5 minutes and cold a bit above--meh. The high and low marks are there for a reason--a range of acceptable tolerance with a little more tolerance than that likely built in. The advantage of reading when cold is it's easier to get a clean read on the stick.
Ever noticed why most dealers overfill the oil when they do the oil change? I like to have bigger safety margin on all oil and fluid levels and even Mazda’s Workshop Manual states that on most oil and fluid changes and instructs us to re-fill them up to the Max mark for the change. In my personal experience one time the dealer overfilled the oil for Toyota’s free new car oil change on my 2018 Yaris iA. Somehow the tech screwed up the drain plug it was leaking oil all the way during my 400-mile road trip. I found the problem the next day and added 2 quarts of oil. Needless to say the overfill with bigger safety margin actually saved my 1.5L Mazda engine! That’s why I always re-fill the oils and fluids to the Full or Max mark.

Thing I don't understand about the Mada instructions is the part about warming the engine up to "normal operating temp". If the purpose is to get the oil back into the pan wouldn't sitting overnight or an hour or two allow the oil to drain down? Why the part about warming up?
More specifically, why Mazda gives us the oil capacities of 4.8 quarts and 5.1 quarts for the 2.5L NA and 2.5T on specs which are contradicts the common knowledge of “FULL” oil capacity used by every other car manufactures?

Most likely because warm oil will expand and thus read higher on the dipstick.

Most likely because warm oil will expand and thus read higher on the dipstick.
On the other hand, more oil will be drained back to the oil pan the longer you wait. And the oil levels between hot and cold basically keeps the same.

You’re absolutely correct and I agree with you totally. Here are the wordings from the 2018 CX-5 owner’s manual on how to check the oil level:

View attachment 317653
View attachment 317654
It says “wait at least 5 minutes for the oil to return to the oil pan”. Yes that could be 5 minutes, or 2 days, after turning the engine off. The manual emphasizes “for the oil to return to the oil pan”, that’s the reason for waiting, nothing about hot oil temperature.

In addition, I’ve also compared the oil level measured hot and cold on my 2016 CX-5, there’s almost no difference between the two:

Hot (5 minutes after the engine turned off):
View attachment 317656

Cold (next day in the morning before the engine start):
View attachment 317657

That’s why I always check the oil level the first thing in the morning before the engine start. It only needs one pull on dipstick, no wipes, and the oil level is much easier to see.
funny in my 2023 OM it no longer mentions Castrol oil. I wonder why.

Ever noticed why most dealers overfill the oil when they do the oil change? I like to have bigger safety margin on all oil and fluid levels and even Mazda’s Workshop Manual states that on most oil and fluid changes and instructs us to re-fill them up to the Max mark for the change. In my personal experience one time the dealer overfilled the oil for Toyota’s free new car oil change on my 2018 Yaris iA. Somehow the tech screwed up the drain plug it was leaking oil all the way during my 400-mile road trip. I found the problem the next day and added 2 quarts of oil. Needless to say the overfill with bigger safety margin actually saved my 1.5L Mazda engine! That’s why I always re-fill the oils and fluids to the Full or Max mark.
Well, in 40 years of having other people change my oil an untold number of times 1) it typically ends up somewhere between the low-full midpoint and maybe a 1/4 quart above the full mark on my follow-up cold check and 2) I've never had an oil change result in a leak. In fact, I've never had an oil leak of any kind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume it is so, after adding new oil, the oil will circulate and reach an equilibrium running condition, so that after it will drain into the pan the same way it normally does after successive uses.

Mazda is telling you to avoid running the car to less than operating temp when taking a reading because the oil will be more viscous and the waiting time would need to be longer than 5 minutes for the oil to drain down to the pan. How much longer? It could get pretty silly with a chart mapping operating temp to minutes wait time. So you get one procedure to follow.

That's what you should do if it is not practical to check after sitting overnight. Otherwise, check it after sitting overnight. The difference in the two procedures will be negligible. Try both on your vehicle as see for yourself.

Usually do my own oil changes and with 15k miles im on the third. I buy a 5 qt mobil-1 / 0-20 full syn oil and the manual says 4.8 qts with filter - ususlly it lands right between min-max but this time im at the max or a hair over as i used the entire 5qts. My guess is the cx5 has an overfill code but this seems like a minor overfill. Anyone have a comment on doing yet a second oil change to get it down 0.2 qts?

Ocd possibly in play here. THNX
Interesting replies (all of them), but they make me nervous so I analyzed the issue. Results. Min/max markers on the dipstick are there for a reason. Never go beyond as the oil may contact the crankshaft causing bubbles, lack of lubrication and damaged crankshaft bearings or more. Results at minimum are obvious as oil temps rise which can cause many issues. The manual states 4.8 qts w/filter, which is wrong. The real number is 5.4 qts via actual test. Always wait 15 minutes after filling as it takes a while for oil drains down. The means “no quick change places.” Last but not least, make sure the dipstick is all the way in. If not then you will get a false reading. Note, quick change places go by the book when refilling meaning your 1/2 qt low when leaving the door. Check level weekly when engine is cold. When reading and comparing all replies you can conclude that there are lots of confused people out there, including those at Mazda.

When I change the oil in my CX (it's almost time), I add 5 quarts and call it good. It may be 0.4 quarts low but that's close enough for me.

YMMV

Back