SCBS malfunction message illuminated in the dash 2019 CX9 GT

tcell

:
2019 CX9 GT
So I've this happen twice since owned. Bought new 2019. After the most recent incident, a week ago, we noticed that the function that lets you know you are to close to a parked object was no longer working. The camera works but the beeping that would become increasingly louder no longer works. Scheduled a service call. Dealer tells me it need Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) part# KDD1-67-XCXA Only one available is located in Canada. $1018 to do the work. Being as the only warehouse that has stock is in Canada, this is not likely a common occurrence/part failure. However I did see a TSB 15-003/20 update of Mazda Modular Diagnostic System to latest version (IDS 108.04 or later). I gave that info the Service Writer, but he did not indicate whether or not that was attempted. Any thoughts? This issue does not seem to be a common issue on CX9.

I have a 2019 GT and have accidentally turned off this feature or forgotten to turn it back on after going through a car wash. I assume though you already checked that.

That is odd. The SCBS has nothing to do with the parking sensors (the close proximity beeping that you hear when getting close to objects).

You are describing two different things. The SCBS warning is linked to the front camera.

The parking sensor has a on/off button on the dash and is link to the proximity sensors on the bumper.

Also is the SCBs warning on all the time or only once in a while ? Low sun directly facing you or fog/ice on the windshield can cause the scbs to disengage and show a warning, but that is normally only temporary.

Last edited:
That is odd. The SCBS has nothing to do with the parking sensors (the close proximity beeping that you hear when getting close to objects).

You are describing two different things. The SCBS warning is linked to the front camera.

The parking sensor has a on/off button on the dash and is link to the proximity sensors on the bumper.

Also is the SCBs warning on all the time or only once in a while ? Low sun directly facing you or fog/ice on the windshield can cause the scbs to disengage and show a warning, but that is normally only temporary.
Well i am officially a dunce. Proximity sensors now work, dash button was culprit. Scbs was always only temporary. Came on at start up, turn off, turn on and it would go away. Just so happens that both issues seemed to coincide at the same time. So, should I assume that the SCBS message is a somewhat normal occurrence? Worse yet dealer/service could not diagnose the issue. I actually have a scheduled appointment at a different dealer, for a 2nd opinion. Maybe I should cancel?

It happens to the best of us.

I guess it depends what type of sbcs warning you get and how often it happens. I would recommend cleaning the windshield in front of the sensor ( it is in the black area in front of the rearview mirror). And see if it happens again. Note the conditions you are in when it happens. (Low sun facing the camera, fog ice on the windshield, bugs on the windshield, etc).

Here is from the owner manual, conditions in which you could get warning from the front camera:

«
  • If the Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) cannot operate normally due to backlight or fog, the system functions related to the Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) are temporarily stopped and the following warning lights turn on. However, this does not indicate a malfunction.
    • High Beam Control System (HBC) warning light (amber)
    • Lane-keep Assist System (LAS) & Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS) warning indication
    • Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go function (MRCC with Stop & Go function) warning indication
    • Smart Brake Support/Smart City Brake Support (SBS/SCBS) warning indication (amber)
  • If the Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) cannot operate normally due to high temperatures, the system functions related to the Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) are temporarily stopped and the following warning lights turn on. However, this does not indicate a malfunction. Cool down the area around the Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) such as by turning on the air conditioner.
    • Lane-keep Assist System (LAS) & Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS) warning indication
    • Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go function (MRCC with Stop & Go function) warning indication
    • Smart Brake Support/Smart City Brake Support (SBS/SCBS) warning indication (amber)
  • If the Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) detects that the windshield is dirty or foggy, the system functions related to the Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) are temporarily stopped and the following warning lights turn on. However, this does not indicate a problem. Remove the dirt from the windshield or press the defroster switch and defog the windshield.

Back