2016~2023 CX-9 Oil leak on valve cover

:
CX-9 CX-5 MSM
Changed the oil tonight and noticed a small amount of oil on the front of the engine. Traced it to a sensor going into the valve cover. Going to order a new grommet, and replace it. Engine has 116k miles on it. Change the oil every 3k miles due to consumption from the turbo.

Attachments

• IMG_20230302_185000474_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230302_185000474_HDR~2.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 366
That's the common Oil Control Valve oil seepage issue.

Currenty have a big leak from that on my 2020 GT and a smaller leak on my 2021 Sig. That is NOT just seepage. At the dealer for this and 10 other issues right now.

Attachments

• 20230219_164458.jpg
    20230219_164458.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 267
Currenty have a big leak from that on my 2020 GT and a smaller leak on my 2021 Sig. That is NOT just seepage. At the dealer for this and 10 other issues right now.
Let me know what they do for that. See if you can get part numbers. I'll do this myself. Side effects of turbos. Lots of pressure it's gotta go somewhere. Had a turbo Miata for a long time. Had similar issues.

"known" issue. My original engine seeped. Same issue with my new replacement engine. Just wipe it down every oil change.

If you want to change it, the cover needs to come off.

Let me know what they do for that. See if you can get part numbers. I'll do this myself. Side effects of turbos. Lots of pressure it's gotta go somewhere. Had a turbo Miata for a long time. Had similar issues.
Will do and let everyone know.

MAHLE B33646. Mine is moist too. 2022, 12K Miles. If it gets worse I will dyi it with a non mazda gasket because we know those leak almost immediately. Will also put a THIN film of Toyota FIPG 103 on it

Just an update on my oil control vvt solenoid leak. Dealer replaced the entire valve cover for the repair, not just gaskets. Here is the part number on my invoice:
PY8W-10-210B

Also both power folding mirror motors per TSB as well as ambiet temp sensor behind front bumper. Also they replaced all 4 brake rotors and pad sets for brake noise TSB and a few other things but of course they couldnt "duplicate" several other issues even though I provided pictures and videos with the exact issue. 😵‍💫

Last edited:
Any chance you can post the TSBs.? I am curious what the issue was with the brakes and ambient temp sensor.

Tsb's for brakes, folding mirrors and ambient temp sensor affecting the A/C performance.

Attachments

• MC-10228660-0001.pdf
    218.2 KB · Views: 177
  • MC-10226894-0001 (3).pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 163
  • MC-10226923-0001 (4).pdf
    242.7 KB · Views: 137
PY8W-10-210B. Yea, that looks like the entire valve cover..... gaskets too. My guess is the B on the end indicates a revision

Holy crap, I wonder if my cowl noise is "Front Brake Noise Symptom 1". Wouldnt that be interesting. Thank you for posting these. When I talked to the Mazda service writer, I just got that deer in the headlights stare. So tired of incompetents, its getting old and is getting worse every year

Change the oil every 3k miles due to consumption from the turbo.
What consumption from the turbocharger? The two I've owned (Volvo & Mazda, don't know who made the turbochargers) never consumed any. In any case, oil consumption is no reason to change the oil & filter early. Add oil if needed, then change on schedule.

Back