CX-90 Trim details, Pricing and Fuel economy press release

I hate, hate, hate that one has to spend $60 brand for painted wheel arches. I'm so done with plastic cladding.

The Turbo S MSRP is 53K. The Highlander has black unpainted plastic cladding, same as the Telluride and the Pilot. No trim in those vehicles gives you the option to loose the black cladding.

You can get a Volvo XC-90 or Audi Q7 with the nice painted look, but that will cost 20-30K more. The Acura MDX has very thin plastic cladding that looks nice.

Last edited:
Will a 360 camera/surround view be available as part of a package on the lower trims?

Currently on the MazdaUSA.com builder, it looks like the 360 camera is only available on the Turbo Premium Plus trim and up, with no way to add it as a standalone option or as part of a tech package. It appears to only be available on trims that have the 12.3 inch screen. In fact, as far as packages go, it looks like the only "package" is the option to have 2nd row Captain's chairs in some trims (while in others it is mandatory).

Maybe this will change in the future, and a tech package that includes the larger screen, 360 cam, Bose audio and Nav will become an option.

Upon further scrutiny of MazdaUSA's builder, what I wrote above could very likely change. It appears that even though all Turbo S models (with the 340hp engine) have the 12.3-inch screen, none of them have the 360 camera listed in their vehicle summaries, they only have the Rear View Monitor with dynamic guide lines. IMO that is almost certainly a mistake.

I also found a couple of typos, lol.

Annotation 2023-02-10 074331.png

Annotation 2023-02-10 074933.png

This is in addition to a few more minor inconsistencies. These will definitely be fixed in due time.

I hate, hate, hate that one has to spend $60 brand for painted wheel arches. I'm so done with plastic cladding.

You can opt for the $40k base trim and have the plastic cladding professionally painted by a trusted body shop. I'm guessing it would cost around $1k max? But colour matching may not be guaranteed.

The Turbo S MSRP is 53K. The Highlander has black unpainted plastic cladding, same as the Telluride and the Pilot. No trim in those vehicles gives you the option to loose the black cladding.

You can get a Volvo XC-90 or Audi Q7 with the nice painted look, but that will cost 20-30K more. The Acura MDX has very thin plastic cladding that looks nice.

Oddly enough, on the trim selection page, the Turbo Premium Plus is also shown with painted cladding, but after selecting that trim, the pictures show black cladding and there is no mention of painted cladding. It seems they may have a lot to fix with their builder.

I wish they had done away with the flat black cladding and gone with the gloss black that's available on some CX-5 trims.

Wow! Is the US ready for a $60k Mazda?
It's a lot of money but a normal price tag these days. Every mainstream brand has vehicles over $60K and aren't as premium as Mazda. A Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited is $60K and is much less vehicle. CX-90 looks like a screaming bargain compared to most $60K vehicles.

Last edited:
These US trim names are too much. I can’t follow the trim comparison between Canada and the US. Couldn’t the US marketing department just stick with GT, GT-P and signature like they did in Canada…..

Items like 360 cameras will definitely move down the trim level within a year or two.

Upon further scrutiny of MazdaUSA's builder, what I wrote above could very likely change. It appears that even though all Turbo S models (with the 340hp engine) have the 12.3-inch screen, none of them have the 360 camera listed in their vehicle summaries, they only have the Rear View Monitor with dynamic guide lines. IMO that is almost certainly a mistake.

I also found a couple of typos, lol.

View attachment 316953
View attachment 316954

This is in addition to a few more minor inconsistencies. These will definitely be fixed in due time.

The disclaimer in Canada did specifically excludes some options from the GT-P (the high output version) that were available on the GT:

Turn Across Path,(8) , Secondary Collision Reduction System (8), See-through view (8)
from a cabin that recognizes you and adjusts to your individual driving preferences (8)
Available customizable 12.3 inch display (8)
360º View Monitor with See-Through View, (9)

I wasn’t sure if it was a typo or if the the high output engine would have less options than the low output engine. Kind of how sometimes performance trims are not the fully optioned model. That will be interesting to see once the official accessory list comes out. It is possible that in terms of equipment the ranking order be: GS,GS-L, GT-P, GT and Signature.

So you pay a premium for the high output engine at the sacrifice of some creature comfort. Some brands do that.

Happy to see such fantastic commentary posted here and positive first impressions based on what we know so far…Can’t wait to see people post about the ownership experience etc...Well done, Mazdas247 Community and Mazda!

Ps…I know Mazda utilizes “social media” to gauge impressions etc but they should be paying attention here because the posts are so much more thoughtful and informative than anything I came across elsewhere…Mazda, we’ve got your feedback right here! 😁

These US trim names are too much. I can’t follow the trim comparison between Canada and the US. Couldn’t the US marketing department just stick with GT, GT-P and signature like they did in Canada…..

Items like 360 cameras will definitely move down the trim level within a year or two.

I think too few trims is viewed as "not premium". In reality, they have the same five trims as with the CX-9 but with different engine choices.

I think too few trims is viewed as "not premium". In reality, they have the same five trims as with the CX-9 but with different engine choices.

The trim level explosion I think is a way for Mazda to gauge what people are willing to pay. Mazda created the "signature" trim to sit above GT in 2016 because the most popular trim level on the previous generation CX-9 was the GT and they realized they might be leaving money on the table. The "S" trim levels are just more of this strategy, in overdrive.

The cheapest CX-90 starts below $40k (not really, after destination, but all the manufacturers play this game now...). They are going to advertise the crap out of this to try to get traffic to the dealers. Once people are in the dealer they will have 9 different price points to choose from all the way to $60k+. I expect the trim levels will collapse back to 4-5 once they figure out what trim levels sell well and how to maximize sales revenue.

The trim level explosion I think is a way for Mazda to gauge what people are willing to pay. Mazda created the "signature" trim to sit above GT in 2016 because the most popular trim level on the previous generation CX-9 was the GT and they realized they might be leaving money on the table. The "S" trim levels are just more of this strategy, in overdrive.

The cheapest CX-90 starts below $40k (not really, after destination, but all the manufacturers play this game now...). They are going to advertise the crap out of this to try to get traffic to the dealers. Once people are in the dealer they will have 9 different price points to choose from all the way to $60k+. I expect the trim levels will collapse back to 4-5 once they figure out what trim levels sell well and how to maximize sales revenue.

I agree. I also think the CX-70 will start with fewer trim levels and probably more "packages" available.

Well, this is not strictly the "premium" or "near premium" vehicle that was touted. It covers more ground than that, from mainstream to premium.

Mazda does not have the separate premium brand like Lexus / Acura / Whatnot but competes with those brands with highest trim levels while also competing with Highlander / Pilot / whatnot with the lower trims.

In fact, the base Turbo Select looks like a mainstream bargain given what's included as standard: AWD, 8-way power driver's seat, 3-zone climate control, rear power liftgate, leatherette seating and leather steering wheel. To match that level of equipment, which happens to be my personal sweet spot in avoiding sunroofs and excess and premium gadgetry (you could keep the power liftgate), you have to go to most mainstream competitor's second level trims.

For example, the base Highlander non-hybrid doesn't even include a blind spot detector let alone most of those Turbo Select features I noted. You have to go to the second trim level in the non-hybrid to get comparable equipment and pay up from there for the AWD option. And in the bargain you no longer get Toyota's fine 295 HP normally aspirated V6. To improve emissions, not mpg, they've gone with 265 hp 4 cyl turbo :rolleyes:. Better low end torque is some consolation. On the other had Toyota has a less than stellar track record with turbos.

But I digress. The point is a second level trim non-hybrid Highlander with AWD has an MSRP of a couple $1000 more than the Turbo Select, making the Mazda a relative bargain.

Of course I would never buy a brand new model with a brand new powertrain, with a turbo engine to boot. Fortunately, I'm not in current need of a Sienna replacement but a couple years down the line after early adopters beta test out the bugs this will probably be under consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, this is not strictly the "premium" or "near premium" vehicle that was touted. It covers more ground than that, from mainstream to premium.

Mazda does not have the separate premium brand like Lexus / Acura / Whatnot but competes with those brands with highest trim levels while also competing with Highlander / Pilot / whatnot with the lower trims.

Yeah, but that is one thing that worries me. People in the USA buy vehicles for the "brand" as much as anything. The target people in the 50K car range will buy a Lexus or Acura over a Toyota or Honda at a higher price to let people know that they can afford it and also to show that they are better than "the average person".

Sharing a same look and badging over a large price range, might hurt Mazda.

Yeah, but that is one thing that worries me. People in the USA buy vehicles for the "brand" as much as anything. The target people in the 50K car range will buy a Lexus or Acura over a Toyota or Honda at a higher price to let people know that they can afford it and also to show that they are better than "the average person".

Sharing a same look and badging over a large price range, might hurt Mazda.
Possibly, but there are also those people who want a luxurious vehicle but don't really want the badges such as BMW and Mercedes that really show wealth, so Acura or Lexus, or now Mazda is a great option for those people. People that don't want to be noticed when they go places like NYC.

I hope Mazda does juggle the packages around a little bit. I liked that for the CX9, you could get all of the technology on the GT and the signature was all about a plush interior, upgraded design and materials, and maybe a few little niceties like additional ambient lighting. I hate that I would have to step all the way up to the turbo S premium plus to get front ventilated seats and the 360 monitor. :(

Back