Should I Worry About This? (Person in other car)

cx5boo333

2021 Cx5 GT AWD
Last night as I was slowing down to take a left into my parking lot, the car that was in the right lane about to pass me slowed down with me and I only glanced two times, as I was focusing on the left turn, but he was waving in a friendly manner. I have had bad experiences with drivers so my instinct was flight, and I just turned in and parked. I checked to see if my car was ok, brake lights, turn signals etc and they’re all okay. I know this is super random, but does anyone have anything inclination as to what they could’ve been trying to say? I can’t stop thinking about what they could’ve wanted to say. It was dark and no one was behind us.

Maybe you were driving with your lights off, not knowing it?
This happens a lot around here. The instrument panels on today's vehicles are permanently lit up, so driving at night, you might think you have your lights on because the inside dash is all lit up, where in fact you are driving without your lights on. I see this all the time. The back end of cars all dark and almost invisible.

Maybe you were driving with your lights off, not knowing it?
This happens a lot around here. The instrument panels on today's vehicles are permanently lit up, so driving at night, you might think you have your lights on because the inside dash is all lit up, where in fact you are driving without your lights on. I see this all the time. The back end of cars all dark and almost invisible.
That’s possible but I really doubt I had them off, I remember seeing the lights symbol turn on as the sun was setting (2hr drive). Also I rarely turn them off and when I checked my brake lights and such it was set to auto. Thanks for the idea though, I’m just so curious now.

I believe it could have been the daytime running lights that were on only.
Seen people drive around at night and their tail lights are not on but the dimmer DRL are on. There is a light symbol for those too.
They will even turn on with the parking lights on too by themself

Maybe that was another CX5 driver waving at you....

Back in the days when Prius was rare, drivers of Prius waved at each other.
Fun days.

Maybe that was another CX5 driver waving at you....

Back in the days when Prius was rare, drivers of Prius waved at each other.
Fun days.
Haha if it was a cx-5 driver I would’ve been delighted, it was a big red pickup truck with one of the covers on the bed. I always smile at cx5s that I see on the roads but usually they either don’t see me or seem indifferent/confused.

I believe that the OP’s CX will automatically turn the lights on whenever the sky is dark enough. I know mine does, even with the light switch turned to OFF the lights will be on at night. He can always check his lights himself…

When you said “waving in a friendly manner” were you being sarcastic? Did you maybe cut him off earlier or hit the brakes in front of him suddenly?

Or did you leave a cup of coffee or your briefcase on the roof?

When you said “waving in a friendly manner” were you being sarcastic? Did you maybe cut him off earlier or hit the brakes in front of him suddenly?

Or did you leave a cup of coffee or your briefcase on the roof?
I wasn't being sarcastic, and would never cut someone off. We were also only on the same road for 2 blocks (I was waiting behind cars at a red light when he came up behind me).

I figured out the unfortunate answer - my tail lights aren't working but my brake lights are. I'm confused why, I tried switching my lights from auto to manually fully on, nothing made them come on and it's night. I tried wiping the daylight sensors with a microfiber. I'll be taking it to the dealer tomorrow under warranty. :/ Can't believe they could've been not working for the whole 2 hour drive yesterday, cause that means my rear only lit up for braking and turn signals, yikes!

Just checked the fuse after learning where/how it works - the fuse was indeed blown so I replaced it - they instantly turned on, thanks for the suggestion! I never got taught about car stuff

Good news 👍. I wouldn't be too worried as long as it doesn't blow another. Then the question would be what caused the circuit to burn the fuse? .

No shame in not knowing car stuff. Everyone starts somewhere/sometime. Good on you for taking steps to learn and diagnose it and repair it yourself. You may surprise yourself what you are capable of! I think Mazda's are pretty easy to work on so don't be afraid to learn do maintenance yourself.

Just checked the fuse after learning where/how it works - the fuse was indeed blown so I replaced it - they instantly turned on, thanks for the suggestion! I never got taught about car stuff
The best way to learn is by trying to fix it/do it yourself. There are tons on information on this forum You will succeed no matter what.

Glad you were able to figure it out quickly. Definitely a safety issue. That was my first thought that your rear lights weren’t working but you said the brake lights were working so I ruled that out.

Glad you were able to figure it out quickly. Definitely a safety issue. That was my first thought that your rear lights weren’t working but you said the brake lights were working so I ruled that out.
Thanks, and same. I didn't realize brake lights could work without the tail lights till this happened.

I used to try warn drivers w/o tail lights on at nights.
I would flash headlights a couple times when I pulled up next to them.
They either ignored me or thought I was road-raging them.
So, I gave up and stay far away from them.

Those w/o headlights on at night are even more dangerous.

Back