Dealership Disappointment

Yesterday I took my 2022 Cx-5 in for its first Oil change. I took my own oil Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 a 5 quart Jug. Usually I change my own oil but with bad weather I decided to let the dealer do it. When I get home it let the car set for an hour and I go out and check the oil. One quart low. Now I wonder if the car even has my Mobil 1 in it or a cheap dealer substitute. I guess I should have taken it back to the dealership but it took them 2 hours in their quick lube line. What a disappointment. now rather than go to them again it looks like I'm going to have to drive another 14 miles to see if the next closest dealership isn't a little more dependable.

The first oil change (at least in the U.S.) should be free from the selling dealer. I also brought my own oil. After that, all maintenance is either performed by myself or an independent.

As far as oil goes, if it is allowed to drain fully, it actually does take a little more than 5 quarts, around 5.2 or so. I've needed to add more to get to the max fill line, but not a full quart. While anywhere between the two dipstick lines is acceptable, for the best engine cooling (and higher safety margin) you want the oil to be at the max line. A full quart needing to be added seems very low and is surprising. Where was it on the dipstick? As far as them switching out your oil it's possible but unlikely - it's just motor oil after all, not a valuable commodity. Going forward I'd start using a reputable highly rated indy, you'll likely get better service and a better value.

The first oil change (at least in the U.S.) should be free from the selling dealer. I also brought my own oil. After that, all maintenance is either performed by myself or an independent.

As far as oil goes, if it is allowed to drain fully, it actually does take a little more than 5 quarts, around 5.2 or so. I've needed to add more to get to the max fill line, but not a full quart. While anywhere between the two dipstick lines is acceptable, for the best engine cooling (and higher safety margin) you want the oil to be at the max line. A full quart needing to be added seems very low and is surprising. Where was it on the dipstick? As far as them switching out your oil it's possible but unlikely - it's just motor oil after all, not a valuable commodity. Going forward I'd start using a reputable highly rated indy, you'll likely get better service and a better value.
Yes I figured the five-quart Jug of Mobil 1 AFE I gave should have brought it at the full mark or very close with a Mazda OEM oil filter. Rather than just to the add mark.

Yesterday I took my 2022 Cx-5 in for its first Oil change. I took my own oil Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 a 5 quart Jug. Usually I change my own oil but with bad weather I decided to let the dealer do it. When I get home it let the car set for an hour and I go out and check the oil. One quart low. Now I wonder if the car even has my Mobil 1 in it or a cheap dealer substitute. I guess I should have taken it back to the dealership but it took them 2 hours in their quick lube line. What a disappointment. now rather than go to them again it looks like I'm going to have to drive another 14 miles to see if the next closest dealership isn't a little more dependable.

i would probably suggest to leave them a review on google reviews and or dealerrater. You would have better visibility there vs in the forum. If that was your idead of course.

When I bought my CX-5 new in 2014 , the dealer included free oil changes for the first year. The first was at 2,000 miles to get rid of the horrible factory fill. I then got 3 more free changes at 4000 mile intervals in that year. They didn't balk at all and always did a tidy job and washed the car. Then for the next 5 years I had them change it at approximately that interval before shifting to doing it myself. I was always treated good. I guess I should feel lucky.

All the Mazda dealers near me offer 1st free oil change when it is purchased new there.
Mileage does not matter.
Mazda dealers want you to come in and get used to doing that.

Back when we had our NB, I got a coupon for a free oil change so I took it to the dealer. I parked it, went inside, and told them why I was there. I watched as a technician went outside, hopped into it and backed it straight into a UPS truck.

I was so pissed. It had maybe 7k miles at the time. They paid for the repairs, but that was the only accident the car was ever in.

I'm old, and the ONLY time I go to dealers is to buy a new vehicle or for warranty work.

I've always done my own work but it's not that easy crawling around on my back anymore and then trying to get up, so in recent years I've gone to a local garage (I've known the owner for 30+ years) for oil, brakes, tires, etc.

My dealer has been fine for the oil changes on both of my CX-5's They forgot to rotate the wheels once but otherwise have been quite helpful. I had to twist their arm to get the cold weather power loss reprogramming done, but they finally came through.

I purchased a new CX5 in 2017 and had the dealership do all of the oil changes until I totaled it in Feb 2022. I then purchased a 2022 CX5 CE and have continued to use the dealership for all of my oil changes. I've never had a problem with them and the levels have always been accurate.
Guess I'm lucky to have one of the good dealerships.

I purchased a new CX5 in 2017 and had the dealership do all of the oil changes until I totaled it in Feb 2022. I then purchased a 2022 CX5 CE and have continued to use the dealership for all of my oil changes. I've never had a problem with them and the levels have always been accurate.
Why not give a shout out to your dealer?

All too often all we hear are complaints about bad dealerships. If you have a good one give us the name and location. This can help others in your area.

That’s why when someone takes his / her own oil to any oil change place for an oil change, I always recommend to ask the dealer or shop to leave the empty or left-over oil bottles or jug in the trunk.

Why not give a shout out to your dealer?

All too often all we hear are complaints about bad dealerships. If you have a good one give us the name and location. This can help others in your area.
Dallas / Fort Worth area does have many Mazda dealers. The dealer I use if needed, Town North Mazda in Richardson, although is private owned, their sales or service department is one of the best among many different car dealers I’ve been dealing with. Most service advisors at Town North Mazda know what I’m talking about, and familiar with most TSBs. Their parts department has Mazda moly in stock, so as non-value line parts such as Denso-made Thai oil filters. If you want moly for oil change, its $10 extra than the regular Castrols.

This dealer uses one Mazda certified mechanic fixing everything (10 problems including 3 recalls) I reported during my last new car warranty service. He screwed up certain things and got corrected by a master mechanic after I complained. The master tech also agreed to replace the brake calipers and everything else on my rear brakes with EPB after I presented the TSB, even though he said my 2016 CX-5 showed only very slight signs of dragging. He also did the brake job by himself.

Yeah dealer service varies a lot and YMMV.

What is this power loss in cold weather reprogramming that you speak of?

@wlong01 and @chickdr got you sorted already, but I'll add that the reprogramming is typically only done by request. The dealership will reference the associated TSB, and may require that the car be exhibiting the issue before the reprogramming is done. If you want the reprogramming done, tell them that the car loses a lot of power in the cold, and try to schedule the appointment for a cold day to ensure that they can validate the power loss when the car is in their possession.

It should also be noted that this reprogramming should be free, in case the dealership tries to charge you for it. If they do, call Mazda Corporate and reference the TSB, and that you feel the dealership should not be charging you for it.

Although, if you've never noticed any issue or power loss during your ownership, it may not be worth the hassle. As far as I know, this affects all 2.5T CX-5s up to 21 or 22, but not everyone drives in a manner where they would experience the power loss at those temps.

Where do you live?

Back