Mazda CX-5 (and other models) Oil Consumption TSB (WTF)

So, how many miles and or years do we get to get this done?
My car is a 2021 with about 18500 miles that falls in the vin range.
I think it may use about 1/2 quart every 5000 miles.
You have standard 5-year / 60K-mile powertrain warranty to cover that.

My 2016 2.5L NA uses about a half quart of 0W-20 oil per 5K ~ 6K miles, 30% ~ 10% oil life on Flexible OCI. I plan to use 5W-30 GF-6 oil after my current stock of Mazda Moly 0W-20 (GF-5) oil exhausted.
Would love to know if anyone using 5w30 in the NA has less oil consumption burn.

Would love to know if anyone using 5w30 in the NA has less oil consumption burn.
ColoradoDriver has switched to 5W-30 oil for his oil consumption with a good result on his 2014 CX-5. In general, thicker oil will reduce some oil consumption as a common knowledge.

I've been much happier running 5w30. Less oil loss/consumption between changes was the biggest thing I noticed. I should really get around to another oil analysis, I've yet to send one in with the 5w30.

So, how many miles and or years do we get to get this done?
My car is a 2021 with about 18500 miles that falls in the vin range.
I think it may use about 1/2 quart every 5000 miles.
Is yours turbo and at what mileage it started consuming?

I had the TSB repair performed on my CX-5 for the oil consumption issue. The engine sounds good and is running normally so I must have had a skilled master technician perform the procedure. Time will tell.

There is a fault code the service tech can check for that will tell them if you need the procedure performed on your car which basically replaces the faulty exhaust valve seals with new ones.

I had the TSB repair performed on my CX-5 for the oil consumption issue. The engine sounds good and is running normally so I must have had a skilled master technician perform the procedure. Time will tell.

There is a fault code the service tech can check for that will tell them if you need the procedure performed on your car which basically replaces the faulty exhaust valve seals with new ones.
Which dealership?

ColoradoDriver has switched to 5W-30 oil for his oil consumption with a good result on his 2014 CX-5. In general, thicker oil will reduce some oil consumption as a common knowledge.
With thicker oil comes with lower lubrication abilities so more wear I believe.

No, not necessary. Besides, thicker 5W-30 oil is recommended by Mazda for the 2.5L NA worldwide.

Maybe, but Mazda specifies 5w30 use for the NA 2.5L Skyactiv in most of the world. Pretty sure 0w20 is just for US cafe standards and not because its protecting any better. They wouldn't specify 5w30 if it wasn't sufficient.

What are the odds of this getting worse with age?
I'm OK with adding a quart every 5000 miles, but I don't want it getting worse, smoking, etc.
Oh, would Mazda lend a courtesy car for this repair?

What are the odds of this getting worse with age?
I'm OK with adding a quart every 5000 miles, but I don't want it getting worse, smoking, etc.
Oh, would Mazda lend a courtesy car for this repair?
Just get the repair done. You are entitled to it since it's a known issue. They can tell if your car needs it via the VIN#. There may also be a fault code they can check for further confirmation if they hook up the computer to your car. I got it done and engine is running fine. Yes, they gave me a loaner vehicle while it was being repaired.

My 21 GTR is within the vin but has only 7k mi and I barley drive it so most likely warranty will be out before I have the issue.

So can I have it serviced w/o consumption issues?
Edit
Also I notice knocking sound from the front end and a little at the rear over speed humps/dips. Heard its some loose suspension bolts?

My 21 GTR is within the vin but has only 7k mi and I barley drive it so most likely warranty will be out before I have the issue.

So can I have it serviced w/o consumption issues?
Edit
Also I notice knocking sound from the front end and a little at the rear over speed humps/dips. Heard its some loose suspension bolts?
In addition to my VIN being among the one's identified for this issue, I actually had the low oil warning light come on before my next oil service was due so mine was actually burning more oil than it should. That's when I took it in and was informed about this issue. It couldn't hurt to ask the service department if they would proactively do the fix for your car if it is within the identified VIN number range.

My '21 GTR just hit 10,000 miles. Between 5800 (my second oil change) and 6900 miles it used almost a full quart and the warning light was on. I was doing a very long trip to Florida, 900 miles at highway speeds (70 +mph) and A/C. I topped it off and the light went off. There was no noticeable usage on the return trip (highway speeds, but no A/C this time). Bothersome. I have an appointment for the valve stem seal repair, however...

Just changed the oil (and filter, of course) and refilled with about 4.8 quarts. Waited an hour because oil drains into the pan very slowly in this car. The dip stick reads in the middle. That's curious because in the two previous oil changes it always read full. I interpret that to mean it's down a half quart. Added the last .2 quart in the jug and it still reads in the middle. So, 5 quarts added and it's not full. Any ideas?

Let it sit overnight. Take your measurement on cold engine on level ground in morning.

If it's still low look under for leaks.

Perhaps it leaking and not burning.

My '21 GTR just hit 10,000 miles. Between 5800 (my second oil change) and 6900 miles it used almost a full quart and the warning light was on. I was doing a very long trip to Florida, 900 miles at highway speeds (70 +mph) and A/C. I topped it off and the light went off. There was no noticeable usage on the return trip (highway speeds, but no A/C this time). Bothersome. I have an appointment for the valve stem seal repair, however...
Your valve stem seals need replacement if the VIN of your 2021 CX-5 GTR is in the range of the TSB.

Just changed the oil (and filter, of course) and refilled with about 4.8 quarts. Waited an hour because oil drains into the pan very slowly in this car.
This isn’t true that the oil drains into the pan very slowly than any other engines in your 2.5T.

The dip stick reads in the middle. That's curious because in the two previous oil changes it always read full. I interpret that to mean it's down a half quart. Added the last .2 quart in the jug and it still reads in the middle. So, 5 quarts added and it's not full. Any ideas?
Confused? You aren’t the first one. The manual says the oil capacity on your 2.5T is 5.1 quarts. But like the 4.8 quarts specified on the 2.5L NA, the oil capacity is approximate and the real capacity for the 2.5T is about 5.5 quarts+ to reach to the Max mark of the dipstick based on the DIYers’ experience in this forum.

2018 CX-5 Oil and Filter Change - Oil Level Per Owners Manual Not Correct?

The real oil capacity for the 2.5L NA is about 5.2 quarts+ to reach to the Max mark of the dipstick.

Just changed the oil (and filter, of course) and refilled with about 4.8 quarts. Waited an hour because oil drains into the pan very slowly in this car. The dip stick reads in the middle. That's curious because in the two previous oil changes it always read full. I interpret that to mean it's down a half quart. Added the last .2 quart in the jug and it still reads in the middle. So, 5 quarts added and it's not full. Any ideas?
the dipstick markers are MIN/MAX (w/1L between the two) with the operating range in the middle. Your 2.5T takes 5.1qts

Back