What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Did you have to replace the sockets and wires in order for the signature tail lights to work?
Yes. Had to disconnect the wires from the connection point that is inside the car, as there is no connection points on the outside, only sockets for the light bulbs.
The wiring connection is on the inside.
The wires came in with the taillight. Just changed the incandescent bulb to LED bulb.

Got a new set of tires, General Altimax RT43. was glad to see the installer used a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts instead of the air gun.

Attachments

• 9B030E69-AFC1-4606-B878-B73DF7CCD223.jpeg
    9B030E69-AFC1-4606-B878-B73DF7CCD223.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 88
... was glad to see the installer used a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts instead of the air gun.
So often, installers use the impact to install and only  check with a torque wrench. It could be waaay over-torqued but as long as the wrench clicks they are happy (but I'm not).

Glad to hear they did it right for you. I've had good luck with the RT43's on many vehicles. Good tire for sure.

Silly me didn't get a picture, so I'll grab one later today or tomorrow, but washed the car and put on some wax/sealant. Paint needs a lot of correction, but I just haven't found the time to do so properly, so I think that'll become a job for springtime.

Decided to try this stuff, and gotta say, made it very shiny and almost a wet, glossy black look. I'd recommend wearing gloves though. The black pigmentation definitely made my hands dirty lol.

I found it a bit harder to work with then their Ice Seal n Shine, but on the flip side this didn't dry up and leave streaks like SnS does.

1667227450173.png

I got swerved into at low speed a couple weeks ago and today I got my car back from repair, what an ordeal getting collision repair is! (t’was my first collision :/) Here’s before and after pictures, I’m just so happy to have my cx5 back all fixed up :D (the white dots are reflections in the 3rd picture, not dents) It’s an awesome feeling to drive a dodge minivan solely for a couple weeks then to get back into the cx5.. so enjoyable I could write a whole separate post on why. Just happy this whole experience is resolved.

9202172E-C030-4159-9C90-F9093DA15C87.jpeg
AC2BF421-D431-4FF2-A3B7-A98D44E763BE.jpeg

5E998404-38FE-43F1-B513-CD851ABC908F.jpeg

DecidedView attachment 313895 to paint my exhaust tips black rather then spend money on buying black ones. Worked out fine I think and didn't cost me anything. Back of the car is done. The only chrome left are the lug nuts and I can live with that rather than pay over $100 for black ones. Done and done.
FWIW Spend the money on the lug nuts, it makes a HUGE difference.I got my rims powered coated in gloss black, plastic-dipped the logo on the centre caps, and added the McGard black chrome nuts. So worth it! Here's the link to my Stormtrooper conversion, but I've attached a pic of the wheels below.

Attachments

• IMG_9889.jpeg
    IMG_9889.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
FWIW Spend the money on the lug nuts, it makes a HUGE difference.I got my rims powered coated in gloss black, plastic-dipped the logo on the centre caps, and added the McGard black chrome nuts. So worth it! Here's the link to my Stormtrooper conversion, but I've attached a pic of the wheels below.

Yes agree. I got mcguard blacks for $40 for my powder coated anthracite. Makes a huge difference( like a lady in a hot red dress wearing heels instead of tennis shoes). Look around for the best deal... I think I posted before...i checked mcguard website, napa, advance auto and Amazon, etc. Prices vary widely.

can you provide the link for the black chrome nuts? Im only seeing chrome ones in the size that would fit a CX5 (m12 1.5)

Yes agree. I got mcguard blacks for $40 for my powder coated anthracite. Makes a huge difference( like a lady in a hot red dress wearing heels instead of tennis shoes). Look around for the best deal... I think I posted before...i checked mcguard website, napa, advance auto and Amazon, etc. Prices vary widely.
you got 20 nuts/locks for 40$?

you got 20 nuts/locks for 40$?
Yes. At the time it was either Amazon or Napa who had the lowest prices depending on vendor, I found the same exact mcguard nuts for prices between $40 and $110. You really need to shop these. That extra $70 buys alot of tools, Starbucks, etc.

Yes. At the time it was either Amazon or Napa who had the lowest prices depending on vendor, I found the same exact mcguard nuts for prices between $40 and $110. You really need to shop these. That extra $70 buys alot of tools, Starbucks, etc.
i remember back in 2019 i bought 4 locking nuts for 23$ on amazon. i have my winters on now so i have about 4 months to look around for 16 nuts and 4 locks in black:)

i remember back in 2019 i bought 4 locking nuts for 23$ on amazon. i have my winters on now so i have about 4 months to look around for 16 nuts and 4 locks in black:)
Yeah at the time, Amazon was about $9 per 4 pack and Napa was about $13 per 4 pack. Others were charging up to $25 per 4 pack.

DIY Oil change with Castrol Edge full synthetic 0W-20 oil, Mazda filter.

Last oil change was at dealer when they had vehicle to check for warranty issues.
The Drain plug was welded on/overtorqued from dealer. Was able to get off with alot of leverage. At the point you need to run a pipe over your breaker bar, means the plug was over-torqued.
Luckily the oil pan does not appear to be cracked. But this is just one of many reasons, I prefer to DIY or have my local mechanic work on my vehicle.

Also, sent oil sample to Blackstone as questionable as to what oil they used.

Am thinking they might have used either a substandard dino oil or blended barrel oil instead of full synthetic. Will be interesting to see the UOA results.

⋯ Last oil change was at dealer when they had vehicle to check for warranty issues.
The Drain plug was welded on/overtorqued from dealer. Was able to get off with alot of leverage. At the point you need to run a pipe over your breaker bar, means the plug was over-torqued.
Luckily the oil pan does not appear to be cracked. But this is just one of many reasons, I prefer to DIY or have my local mechanic work on my vehicle.
Yes, yes! One of the major reasons why I’ve always been trying to change the oil by myself!

Those techs at the dealership either over-tighten the drain plug, or “forgot” to tighten it up properly (last time I took my Toyota Yaris iA for oil change covered by 2-year Toyota new-car free maintenance; and that’s what happened with oil leaking out. 😠).

And I also believe your dealer uses cheaper Mazda OEM “Value” oil filter for the oil change.

Last oil change was at dealer when they had vehicle to check for warranty issues.

I'm so anal, not only do I use a fresh crush washer every change, I even use a torque wrench set to 28 ft.lbs.

Back