Removing Roof Rails from 2021 CX-5

:
Los Gatos, CA
:
2021 CX5 GTR
My 2021 CX-5 came equipped with the silver roof rails and I am looking to replace them with the plain black roof moulding. I purchased the replacement trim pieces from here: LINK and attempted to install it today. I removed one side and tried to fit the replacement trim piece into the channel and it was too narrow for the channel and didn't 'fill' the gap so-to-speak. I checked the website from where I ordered and it says the part is for 2017-2020. Although there are other sites selling the same part(number) and advertising it as 2017-2021 HERE . So now I don't know what to believe, do I in fact have the wrong part or am I just not installing it correctly/missing additional parts needed for the job. I can't be the only one that has removed the roof rails and installed the roof moulding. Does anyone have experience doing this? Please help :)

Attachments

• September,09,2022,09’44’50PM.png
    September,09,2022,09’44’50PM.png
    670.6 KB · Views: 156
I went for install attempt #2 today. Did not go that well actually. There are two clips on each end of the roof moulding which fasten it to the roof. Other than the there are about 4 rubber 'clips' or pieces which do absolutely nothing. There seems to be a bump on the roof where maybe there should be a piece they slide into or something but there is nothing there. So with nothing but the two end clips holding it down the moulding piece wiggles a lot and does not seem secure. View attachment 313149
See my edited post 19 above.

Upvote 0
Interesting take. Whenever I see a CX-5 without the rails, I don't like it at all. Personally I use the rails to hold myself up to clean the roof of the car. I stand on the back tire and hold the rail with one hand while I wash with the other. They are very sleek and integrated in appearance to my eye. I don't like rails which have a gap underneath.
I didn't really want the rails but had no choice as that's how my Signature was configured. Over time I've become accustomed to the look and, like you chickdr, found them to be useful when accessing the top of the roof for polishing and cleaning. Mazda did an excellent job of designing them to fit in with the overall shape of the CX-5.

Upvote 0
See my edited post 19 above.
Thanks you. I have now watched every install and uninstall video of the roof rails on YouTube. A few things I learned are the 4 rubber pieces do go on top of the raised bumps in the groove. There are 3 clips attached to the roof that the mounding will clip into with enough pressure and the correct angle. There’s also two different clips at each end of the mounding you will need to clip into. When you buy the mounding(with cap) it comes with everything you need in the diagram other than this clip: Clip which is basically an additional peel and stick version of the same clips that are welded onto the roof.
After all that the mounding still doesn’t seem to fit perfectly flush and you can see parts of the clips and rubber pieces.

EE052BA1-EB46-44E8-995D-C61D4258666D.jpeg

Attachments

• 9A90DDFA-3985-4E20-9473-7BEBAE61B65B.jpeg
    9A90DDFA-3985-4E20-9473-7BEBAE61B65B.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 80
Upvote 0
Mazda went for "looks" when just about every other similar class SUV provides roof rails/racks. I'm a buyer who missed them and had them installed by Mazda along with the cross rails. What can I say? If you need them you need them.
Agreed. I couldn’t believe the car didn’t come with roof rails. I’ve had roof racks on every car since the 1980’s. We carry a top box in the winter for skis and gear, and bike racks or kayak racks in the summer. That’s in addition to a hitch mounted bike rack. SOP in Colorado and other active states.

Upvote 0
Agreed. I couldn’t believe the car didn’t come with roof rails. I’ve had roof racks on every car since the 1980’s. We carry a top box in the winter for skis and gear, and bike racks or kayak racks in the summer. That’s in addition to a hitch mounted bike rack. SOP in Colorado and other active states.
Acura did the same thing with the RDX I had in 2016. Even the top of the line Advance model I purchased didn't come with rails.

Upvote 0
Back