Mazda CX-90 - What would you like to see?

Let's have a little fun here. What are some features or content you would want to see on the cx90 that's currently not on the cx9 or is but could be better. Only had our cx9 for 2 mnths, but here's my shortlist:

- panoramic sunroof, I'm sure this will make it in as it's on the cx50/60.

- more intricate ambient lighting/more colors

- wireless carplay/auto

- more user friendly/aesthetically pleasing UI

- massaging front seats with a bit more plushness

- ventilated rear seats

- running boards as an option

- more front cargo bins/larger center console

- more third room people/cargo space

Things I think will help it be top class competitor without driving the price up from its current sweet spot.

I personally think the amount of ambient lighting on the CX-9 is well executed and not overdone. Some of the lighting treatments on some newer luxury cars is overdone and cheapens the interior (stuff like the LED "piping").

What I'd like to see that hasn't been mentioned yet:
- Longer wheelbase (without increasing the length of the car)
- 20x10" OEM wheels with UHP all-season rubber, and an option for 20x8 OEM wheels with all-weather tires
- Better towing capability
- Lane centering
- Audio components from a better supplier
- Thigh extensions for driver and front passenger
- Programmable memory settings for front passenger

I do like how the ambient lighting is implemented, but I would like lighting in the charging port/center console/cup holders, wheel wells and a strip around the front and rear door panels. I agree with lane centering and memory passenger seats. I'd also like entry controls on the rear doors, and global windows(my 18 expy had this and it was great)

Might as well add glove-box lighting to the list. And that's a good point about the door locks on the rear doors. To expand on that further, I would like to see them use the new entry controls that they use on the CX-30 and Mazda3, on all four doors.

It would also be nice to have handsfree liftgate operation (not sure if this already exists, it isn't a thing on my 2018).

An engine with a 10 year/100k warranty with a cylinder head that doesn't crack would be a great start.

You know they don't all crack right? And that they have made changes to attempt to fix the problem?

Gen2 engine design is a definite improvement over Gen1 engine design, so chances are good that they will continue the trend of improvement. Though the CX-90 will be getting a new drivetrain, so only time will tell.

Everything everyone else said plus better lane keep assist. It is useful to have in certain moments.

A longer front seat. The short seat can be a limiting on long trips.

Continued good gas mileage. I want 300 hp and 30+MPG.

No more piano black plastic.

More color options for outside and inside.

Must have for me: Tow capacity minimum 5000 lb

Nice to have: longer than 6 mos interval for oil change, max HP on reg gas, foot release tailgate (I dont have on my 19 but i think the cx9 does now so hopefully it continues), rear heated seats, a tailgate button that works without the doors needing to be unlocked

I can dream, but can live without: lane tracing, more differentiated rims across the trim lines

There are some awesome suggestions above.
Here are my ideas:

- Pano. roof would be nice
- Thigh extenders on the front seats
- A little more ambient lighting would also be nice. (Door handles, storage bin area, for example)
- Improved lane centering/safety system implementation and highway auto-drive features
- 8 speed transmission
- Adjustable fake engine noise (so I can turn it off or change it to my liking)
- Real metal accents in the interior
- Thicker floor mats like the 2018+ Mazda 6
- Real wood accents
- grocery bag hooks in the rear
- Key fob auto-start or change to the mobile access system so the vehicle doesn't turn off when you open the door
- Next level audio components
- Continue with the unlimited KM warranty (Canada)
- Offer more options/accessories to customize the vehicle (suspension, trim, exhaust, etc...)

I also want it to be within my price range. I am ready and willing to pay more for this larger and nicer vehicle. I am more interested in the 5-seater CX-70, however.

Oh on the note of ambient lighting, it would be great if they relocated the trunk cargo light to directly above the cargo area, instead of in the liftgate panel, or just added some extra lighting in the C-pillar interior panels to better illuminate the cargo area when needed.

1. Fully customizable digital guage cluster with maps and turn by turn directions displayed in the middle.
2. 8/9 speed transmission
3. Smoother idling and acceleration given the hybrid/electric assist motor.
4. Better AC, CX-9 AC is mediocre at best.
5. Better safety tech, especially the lane centering feature at all speeds, being able too detect the road lanes in most weather conditions( Same as Toyota and Honda).
6. Better 4 x 4 system that eliminates torque steer, include some sort of torque vectoring like the Toyota Highlander and Acura MDX. Also should be able to see how much power being sent to the rear wheels in center screen.
7. Customizable ambient lighting across the trim.
8. Remote start that doesn't shutoff the car when the door is opened(include a takeover feature).
9 Being able to turn on heated seats, windows defog, and heated steering wheel with mobile start(via App).
10. Include more statistics like, when was the car turned on, how long it took to reach destination, MPG etc. via car screen and Phone app. I miss this feature from my previous Audi A6.
11. Make the heated steering wheel complete, currently only the sides are heated.
12. Include a hydraulic lift for the hood, currently its manual rod clip which doesn't really fit the image of this car.
13. Side mirror position to be saved with the memory seats.
14. Auto tilting side mirrors with reverse.
15. Tire Pressure monitor that displays the pressure of each tyre in center screen, car beeps when inflating tires once tyre reach a specific PSI.

Last edited:
1. Fully customizable digital guage cluster with maps and turn by turn directions displayed in the middle.
5. Better safety tech, especially the lane centering feature at all speeds, being able too detect the road lanes in most weather conditions( Same as Toyota and Honda).
6. Better 4 x 4 system that eliminates torque steer, include some sort of torque vectoring like the Toyota Highlander and Acura MDX. Also should be able to see how much power being sent to the rear wheels in center screen.
8. Remote start that doesn't shutoff the car when the door is opened(include a takeover feature).
9 Being able to turn on heated seats, windows defog, and heated steering wheel with mobile start(via App).
10. Include more statistics like, when was the car turned on, how long it took to reach destination, MPG etc. via car screen and Phone app. I miss this feature from my previous Audi A6.
11. Make the heated steering wheel complete, currently only the sides are heated.
12. Include a hydraulic lift for the hood, currently its manual rod clip which doesn't really fit the image of this car.
15. Tire Pressure monitor that displays the pressure of each tyre in center screen, car beeps when inflating tires once tyre reach a specific PSI.
There are some awesome suggestions above.
Here are my ideas:

- Pano. roof would be nice
- Thigh extenders on the front seats
- A little more ambient lighting would also be nice. (Door handles, storage bin area, for example)
- Improved lane centering/safety system implementation and highway auto-drive features
- 8 speed transmission
- Adjustable fake engine noise (so I can turn it off or change it to my liking)
- Real metal accents in the interior
- Thicker floor mats like the 2018+ Mazda 6
- Real wood accents
- grocery bag hooks in the rear
- Key fob auto-start or change to the mobile access system so the vehicle doesn't turn off when you open the door
- Next level audio components
- Continue with the unlimited KM warranty (Canada)
- Offer more options/accessories to customize the vehicle (suspension, trim, exhaust, etc...)

I also want it to be within my price range. I am ready and willing to pay more for this larger and nicer vehicle. I am more interested in the 5-seater CX-70, however.

Lots of good ideas here. I like all of them. The most important thing I want for the CX-90 is for it to be available this year!

Oh on the note of ambient lighting, it would be great if they relocated the trunk cargo light to directly above the cargo area, instead of in the liftgate panel, or just added some extra lighting in the C-pillar interior panels to better illuminate the cargo area when needed.
Oh yea. Took me a few times of wondering why is it so dark, before I realized the light is in my eyes when I look up but not where my junk is. Great spot for a light if you don't have a cargo cover. My vote would be on the side panels below the cover level.

While I'd like this too, it's interesting that sometimes these so called advanced systems such as the Highlander or Subaru's symmetrical AWD don't result in handling superiority. I'm sure there are safety benefits, but for me the priority is give it good driving dynamics, with or without vectoring.

CX9/CX5s drive circles around the competition without the feature (despite being dated models now), a testament to Mazda's engineering.

Second row bench seat option instead of just captain chairs.
Retractable running boards.
Better towing capability.
Aux input

A rear hatch that automatically fully raises so I don't hit my head on it if I neglect to manually push it up the rest of the way. What a pain in the ........ head!

Center console trim around gearshift area that doesn't get all the micro scratches and look old long before its time.

Side mirror position saved in memory along with seat position.

Less torque steer and less touchy throttle modulation off the line.

Discrete digital tire pressure display for each wheel.

More functional auto-start that is long-range and doesn't require phone app/paid subscription.

Nav system that allows panning around the area to view full route while navigating.

More comfortable seats.

Back