What have you done to your CX-5 today?

I got rear-ended today. Driving at a safe speed on a 2-lane street, guy at the right lane tries to change lanes without looking, I slam on the brakes and the car behind hits me. The guy at the right lane just drove away. Tried to file a police report about him, obviously was told there is nothing to do.

The damage is only on the bumper. I had taken off the dashcam because of the windshield tint and was lazy to put it back on, big mistake. Unsure if this is fixable or needs to be replaced.

I need some assistance as this is my first accident. I filed a report and gave them my side of the story (I don't think the other person is going to say anything different but who knows).

Insurance call center person gave me a few options for the repairs none of which is the dealership. So what happens when I want to get this fixed at the dealer? (as Soul Red is hard to match) Has anyone gone through something like this? Again, sorry as I have no experience in this. Thanks

View attachment 311923
View attachment 311922
Consider filing a diminished value claim. Your vehicle will show up as having been involved in an accident on CarFax, AutoCheck, etc. You're entitled to compensation from the responsible party. If a police report was written it would have read something like this: V1 rear-ended V2. Issued citation to D1 for unsafe speed for conditions.

Having had damage to our 2014 Soul Red (I know, slightly different color) the non-dealer bodyshop did an immaculate color match that has held up perfectly over the years since. In fact I would say that good bodyshops are far better than the dealer. I would ask the adjuster for his/her recommendation.

As for the bumper, they will need to replace it. You have damage to the lower bare plastic area, which is impossible to repair without being visible - painted areas they can plastic-repair and fill/paint over. However, I should warn you it may take a while. We've been waiting on a new hood for our 2019 (bad hail damage) for several months now, with no end in sight. Supply issues, ugh.

Having had damage to our 2014 Soul Red (I know, slightly different color) the non-dealer bodyshop did an immaculate color match that has held up perfectly over the years since. In fact I would say that good bodyshops are far better than the dealer. I would ask the adjuster for his/her recommendation.

As for the bumper, they will need to replace it. You have damage to the lower bare plastic area, which is impossible to repair without being visible - painted areas they can plastic-repair and fill/paint over. However, I should warn you it may take a while. We've been waiting on a new hood for our 2019 (bad hail damage) for several months now, with no end in sight. Supply issues, ugh.
Doesn't sound like they are trying hard enough to find one. My 2018 CX5 went in March, they had for two months to get a hood and fender. Hood came in but couldn't get the fender(would have taken another month or two) so insurance had them repair fender. would have preferred new fender but insurance dictated the repair. Had the car to me before June. So new 2018 oem hood within 2 months and would have been new fender within 4 months. Your 2019 should be similar hood to my 18. Are they trying to use aftermarket ?

Ad far as benefits go, that may be another reason to use a dealer bodyshop if they are able to get parts easier and quicker(if you can call 2 to 4 months quick) than Indy body shops.

Doesn't sound like they are trying hard enough to find one. My 2018 CX5 went in March, they had for two months to get a hood and fender. Hood came in but couldn't get the fender...
Well, I just looked for a hood myself at a number of online dealer parts places. They all say "Backordered"

Well, I just looked for a hood myself at a number of online dealer parts places. They all say "Backordered"
Hmmm. They supposedly told me and insurance company they put on a new Mazda oem hood. Only thing I can think of is they either got lucky or they put on and repainted an undamaged salvage hood.

@Jack Rabbit @SilverCX-5 @sm1ke @Mantra 7 @Paul_T @RedBaron thank you for the responses.

Had a call with the adjuster this morning. As you mentioned, they were able to assess the damage with the pictures instead of checking in person. They are probably going to replace the bumper.

I gave the adjuster my side of the story again and she said they will figure out who's at fault after listening to the other side as well. I don't see how I would be found at fault, but unfortunately I didn't have my dashcam installed so I can't provide any proof.

Turns out one of the Mazda dealerships has an agreement with my insurance company (not the one I go to, but same group) so I chose to get the repairs done there. Adjuster said I would receive a check and pay for the repairs with it. The shop will call me when they are ready to receive me.

I also received a call from Enterprise rental shortly after, I'll give them a call about the rental as soon as I know when I am dropping off the car.

About the diminished value claim, I am looking into it; but I assume it could only be done after I am not found at fault.

@Jack Rabbit @SilverCX-5 @sm1ke @Mantra 7 @Paul_T @RedBaron thank you for the responses.

Had a call with the adjuster this morning. As you mentioned, they were able to assess the damage with the pictures instead of checking in person. They are probably going to replace the bumper.

I gave the adjuster my side of the story again and she said they will figure out who's at fault after listening to the other side as well. I don't see how I would be found at fault, but unfortunately I didn't have my dashcam installed so I can't provide any proof.

Turns out one of the Mazda dealerships has an agreement with my insurance company (not the one I go to, but same group) so I chose to get the repairs done there. Adjuster said I would receive a check and pay for the repairs with it. The shop will call me when they are ready to receive me.

I also received a call from Enterprise rental shortly after, I'll give them a call about the rental as soon as I know when I am dropping off the car.

About the diminished value claim, I am looking into it; but I assume it could only be done after I am not found at fault.
You should not be found at fault.
if you are, hire a lawyer.

If a pedestrian had run out in the street and you slammed on your brakes to avoid him/her, the vehicle behind you should have been able to stop. They were traveling too close at too high speed.

Sometimes insurance companies like to act more like mediators and may assign a 50/50 to split it down the middle.

You should still talk to a lawyer if that happens.

Be sure to take it to the dealer and get them to order parts FIRST (even if you have to make a down payment), then come back in when the parts arrive. Your insurance will only cover a rental for up to a few weeks (prob < 1 month) so if your car is just sitting on the dealer lot waiting for parts, you could run out of rental time.

Be sure to take it to the dealer and get them to order parts FIRST (even if you have to make a down payment), then come back in when the parts arrive. Your insurance will only cover a rental for up to a few weeks (prob < 1 month) so if your car is just sitting on the dealer lot waiting for parts, you could run out of rental time.
According to the adjuster that's how the process works. The dealer is currently working on the estimate, and apparently they will only contact me once the parts arrive. And yeah, insurance only covers up to a month for a rental. Thanks!

Could've been old stock from before the shortage. Our hail damage was mid-May.
Was looking for parts on carparts.com for my CX5 and came across this ...
Two Mazda cx5 hoods(all steel) for sale for years 2017 to 2022 @ $338. Can be delivered in 3 to 4 days.

Am thinking maybe the dealership put an aftermarket hood on my CX5 but hey a new hood is a new hood.

It looks like there are aftermarket hoods out there if you are interested. Unless you want to wait for an OEM( if that's what they promised you)

Fyi. Have bought parts here before and been satisfied including recent purchase for a Mazda wheel well liner.

It looks like there are aftermarket hoods out there if you are interested. Unless you want to wait for an OEM( if that's what they promised you)

Yeah, the aftermarket hoods ARE available, and that's what I'm going for now. I don't want to wait for who-knows-how-long for an OEM hood at this point. The bodyshop said they would confirm fitting and finish before going ahead with it, so that's what I agreed to.

Was looking for parts on carparts.com for my CX5 and came across this ...
Two Mazda cx5 hoods(all steel) for sale for years 2017 to 2022 @ $338. Can be delivered in 3 to 4 days.

Am thinking maybe the dealership put an aftermarket hood on my CX5 but hey a new hood is a new hood.

Fyi. Have bought parts here before and been satisfied including recent purchase for a Mazda wheel well liner.
that stuff is hit or miss. I ordered aftermarket fender liners for my NB1 Miata from there, and they're okay. Fitment is decent, although they're a bit thinner than OEM. But I also ordered fender liners for my Integra and they were absolutely horrible. Wouldn't even fit at all. Half the holes wouldn't line up, and if I tried to force it, the plastic would fold and wrinkle in some spots. I had already started trimming one of them to work with my lowered suspension when I discovered the poor fitment, so I had to just waste that money and throw them in the trash.

Over the last few days…One of the horns died on my 2019 Touring and I took to the dealership see if they could fix it under warranty (have a few months left). Said they’re backed up and had to leave it there for at least a week. Couldn’t do that so my buddy helped me check it out. One of the tones still worked when honking or locking the door. The fuses were ok also.

We took off the front bumper and found out it wasn’t the horn itself but the connection to the low tone horn that wasn’t working. Since the bumper was off, we just put in Hella horns to the battery instead. Wrapped that non working connection in electrical tape.

Even though everything works well again and it’s been fine so far, anybody think I should have done it differently and go to the dealer/shop instead because of the electrical? Or with something so small it doesn’t really matter?

Estimate is done, $1650 Canadian. I'm found "not at fault" which is expected. I also received a call from the Mazda body shop today saying it will take them "a couple of weeks" for the replacement bumper to arrive. The actual repair is set to take two days, and I'll drop the car when the parts arrive.

Over the last few days…One of the horns died on my 2019 Touring and I took to the dealership see if they could fix it under warranty (have a few months left). Said they’re backed up and had to leave it there for at least a week. Couldn’t do that so my buddy helped me check it out. One of the tones still worked when honking or locking the door. The fuses were ok also.

We took off the front bumper and found out it wasn’t the horn itself but the connection to the low tone horn that wasn’t working. Since the bumper was off, we just put in Hella horns to the battery instead. Wrapped that non working connection in electrical tape.

Even though everything works well again and it’s been fine so far, anybody think I should have done it differently and go to the dealer/shop instead because of the electrical? Or with something so small it doesn’t really matter?
As long as the power draw of the new horn isn't that much different from the OEM one and as long as it works as expected, I don't know why it wouldn't be a good idea.
How does the new horn sound?

Also, I can't control my car from the MyMazda app anymore. The only feature that works is "Send to car" -- it just fails otherwise. Any advice?

Last edited:
mounted a Euro plate (for decorative purposes) just brought back from Slovenia, on my MN/FL car

Attachments

• IMG-20220808-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220808-WA0000.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 105
mounted a Euro plate (for decorative purposes) just brought back from Slovenia, on my MN/FL car
Gives it an interesting look. My first thought was "I wonder if the local Popo will say anything about that?"
My second thought was "Oh, wait a minute, that's blocking 90% of the air flow to the intercooler!"
You might be better off using that as some wall art in the garage instead.

Back