What did you pay for your CX-5?

Oddly enough I'd respect a dealer (marginally) more if he just said "Market Adjustment $1,400". What bothers me is that they'll convince an un-informed customer, with a straight face, that this package that costs them $300 has any real value

I don't even care that much if they're greedy (no one is forcing me to buy a car from them), its the damn lying that makes me walk away.

Anybody who walks into a $30,000+ purchase being uninformed has only themselves to blame. There are all kinds of on-line resources today, this site and many like it for example. There's one simple, final word that works if you cannot get the deal you want--"no"--and two essential tools--your feet heading for the door, real or virtual.

One salesman (after striking a deal) told me that, some customers walk in and just ask what the downpayment and monthly payment are .... and, sign the papers if they can afford those numbers.

Math education remains essential.

There's a reason car salesmen have often been regarded as the least trustworthy of all professions, and it seems that most live by the 2 W.C. Fields credos - "Never give a sucker an even break, and Never smarten up a chump"

Just bought a '22 CX-5 Preferred Plus (non-turbo) with roof rails, cargo storage shelf and paint upgrade for $33.7k plus TT and dealer doc fee. No other Mazda discounts like loyalty or military and no trade in. You can get below MSRP if you can work it. MSRP was $36.6

Last edited:
Inventories are shrinking again after a couple of months of balancing out. It's going to be very rare to find a deal at MSRP for at least the next 3 months
Not much inventory here in N. California so most dealers are adding to the MSRP. A RORO docked in Benicia on 5/15 so we may see a few more on the lots soon... unless they are all pre-sold (which seems to be fairly common now.)

Just bought a '22 CX-5 Preferred Plus (non-turbo) with roof rails, cargo storage shelf and paint upgrade for $33.7k plus TT and dealer doc fee. No other Mazda discounts like loyalty or military and no trade in. You can get below MSRP if you can work it. MSRP was $36.6
Can you post of pic of the quote? It makes zero sense that a dealer would take off $3k and sell well below invoice in this market. Even in the 'before times,' dealer discounts that high on CX5s were extremely rare. What state are you in?

Are you sure you didn't mean Premium Plus?

One salesman (after striking a deal) told me that, some customers walk in and just ask what the downpayment and monthly payment are .... and, sign the papers if they can afford those numbers.

Math education remains essential.
Unfortunately, that is seen very often in these forums. - "I can buy xyz for only $$$ per month, or a used xyz for this amount per month" "which would you do?" - sheesh. - dealers love, love, love you guys. Then add the extended warranty for only $20 more per month. You give the salesman an orgasm.

Well I joined the club today. Never owned anything but GM until now. I'm very used to the ordering process with GM. It took me 19 months to get my 2021 Corvette!!
MSRP, Soul red, Premium Plus from Napleton Mazda in Aurora IL. Had to order it to get MSRP. I'm not used to having a VIN already. With GM I only had the VIN a couple of weeks before delivery. It will be joining the C8, and a 1992 Z28 that is under restoration.

Well I joined the club today. Never owned anything but GM until now. I'm very used to the ordering process with GM. It took me 19 months to get my 2021 Corvette!!
MSRP, Soul red, Premium Plus from Napleton Mazda in Aurora IL. Had to order it to get MSRP. I'm not used to having a VIN already. With GM I only had the VIN a couple of weeks before delivery. It will be joining the C8, and a 1992 Z28 that is under restoration.
It's east of 59, so Naperville, not Aurora. I bought ours there when they were Continental. I hope that Napleton does run it like his Hyundai dealer in Aurora. Good luck!

With Mazda incentives and dealer discounts we were able to obtain MSRP minus $6,500 on our 2020 GT back in June, 2020. This time around in Spring of 2022 we're paying MSRP plus $250 for dealer-required add-ons for a Signature model.

Isn't it amazing how quickly the market has changed in less than 2 years?!?

:cry:
The 2022 Eternal Blue Signature ended up being MSRP plus a $285 fee for a mandatory Parking-lot Protection Pkg. Given the current market I felt that was very reasonable, plus were able to get almost $1,000 more for the 2020 GT in trade than we paid for it 2 years ago.

The 2022 Eternal Blue Signature ended up being MSRP plus a $285 fee for a mandatory Parking-lot Protection Pkg. Given the current market I felt that was very reasonable, plus were able to get almost $1,000 more for the 2020 GT in trade than we paid for it 2 years ago.
That last part is insane. Wow!

BTW, what does Parking Lot Protection Package actually entail. A quick Google search was not enlightening. Door bumpers?

The Parking Lot Protection Package applied by the dealer we bought from consists of a clear plastic film applied to 4 door edges and the recessed area under the 4 door handles... essentially 50 cents worth of material and less than an hour of labor.

The Parking Lot Protection Package applied by the dealer we bought from consists of a clear plastic film applied to 4 door edges and the recessed area under the 4 door handles... essentially 50 cents worth of material and less than an hour of labor.
"Mandatory"...really?

Jut got a 22 CX-5 Turbo last week. No trade in. Here is the breakdown.

Car $37270 (MSRP -1500 only option is roof rack)
Tax $2469
Doc fee $699
Window etching $399
Title & plates $430
Out the door ~$41341

Not the best deal, but ok with it given the circumstances. I do see the inventory is improving.

That last part is insane. Wow!

Oh, yeah, my 2018 had that pre-installed too, plus blinky brake lights and stuff like that. It wasn't in the email negotiated deal and I refused to pay for it.

This was 4 years ago before it was like doing you a favor to sell you a car.

They are poorly applied, and have bubbles.

Back