What did you pay for your CX-50?

Antoine

Administrator
It's official, the Mazda CX-50 is available (or soon to be) and I'm sure there is already interest in discussing and sharing pricing information. Please be as thorough as possible when posting pricing details and or questions to ensure this thread is relevant and helpful, thanks!

When all was said and done taxes and dealer options I paid $42,500 for the Premium Plus 2.5

OK, but we need to compare apples to apples here... what was your price for the car only, excluding any dealer add-ons/accessories and taxes/tags?

Actually, we do need the dealer add-ons to compare how much we're being taken advantage of. So basically to compare your apples, we need MSRP, which would include factory/port installed accessories, and would be on the Monroney sticker, then the aftermarket dealer installed accessories and dealer-addos (tint, vin etching, edge guards, etc) but not TT&L.

That's what allows us to compare how much the dealer is demanding for these cars

Summary:

MSRP - from actual Monroney sticker
Accessories added AT THE DEALER - Mazda wheel locks, floor mats
Misc. trumped up charges such as tint, door cups and pedge guards, VIN etching, etc.

Actually, we do need the dealer add-ons to compare how much we're being taken advantage of. So basically to compare your apples, we need MSRP, which would include factory/port installed accessories, and would be on the Monroney sticker, then the aftermarket dealer installed accessories and dealer-addos (tint, vin etching, edge guards, etc) but not TT&L.

That's what allows us to compare how much the dealer is demanding for these cars

Summary:

MSRP - from actual Monroney sticker
Accessories added AT THE DEALER - Mazda wheel locks, floor mats
Misc. trumped up charges such as tint, door cups and pedge guards, VIN etching, etc.
Suggested format for those who can do spreadsheets is found below. Add lines above D&H for dealer add-ons.

Attachments

• D78E6BF4-F2CC-4A85-A2F4-BD34547EB442.png
    D78E6BF4-F2CC-4A85-A2F4-BD34547EB442.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
Suggested format for those who can do spreadsheets is found below. Add lines above D&H for dealer add-ons.
That's a pretty good presentation. Some suggestions:

The "8% Incntive Discount" on the Title line is little confusing. I guess that refers to the two $1500 incentives/rebates, but that's not exactly 8% anyway. I think that reference is unnecessary and your presentation is clearer without it. Or if you must, slap a percentage on each rebate.

Also, when adding detail for accessories or dealer add-ons, whether that's some paint treatment or an extended warranty or some option, it would be helpful to know whether they were mandatory, already on a side sticker or otherwise.

TT&L and doc fees can vary greatly. For example, the evil bureaucrats of NY State cap it a $75. But a reader can take those out and substitute in what they would expect in their location.

One point of curiosity assuming this is an actual deal. The incentives / rebates appear to be applied after the calculation of tax. That seems peculiar. The last time I had a manufacturer rebate they applied it on the spot against the top line so it reduced the tax bill. Is the 4/30 date an indication of when you expected a check in the mail?

Of course recommending this level of detail is kind of pointless but it makes us feel better for about a minute.

That's a pretty good presentation. Some suggestions: Thanks

The "8% Incntive Discount" on the Title line is little confusing. I guess that refers to the two $1500 incentives/rebates, but that's not exactly 8% anyway. I think that reference is unnecessary and your presentation is clearer without it. Or if you must, slap a percentage on each rebate. Deleted

Also, when adding detail for accessories or dealer add-ons, whether that's some paint treatment or an extended warranty or some option, it would be helpful to know whether they were mandatory, already on a side sticker or otherwise. Added

TT&L and doc fees can vary greatly. For example, the evil bureaucrats of NY State cap it a $75. But a reader can take those out and substitute in what they would expect in their location. The reader will be editing many numbers if they fill this out.
One point of curiosity assuming this is an actual deal. The incentives / rebates appear to be applied after the calculation of tax. That seems peculiar. The last time I had a manufacturer rebate they applied it on the spot against the top line so it reduced the tax bill. Is the 4/30 date an indication of when you expected a check in the mail? That's the way it works for consumer car rebates in Colorado. If it was a direct to delaer incentive, they could show it as a discount which would reduce thetxable total(I think)

Of course recommending this level of detail is kind of pointless but it makes us feel better for about a minute. This level of detail is what is needed to analyze a deal. When car purchasing was actually a competitve deal, I would fill this format out for every 'good deal' to decide which was best. But that;s just me :)
Responses in-line above.

I updated the worksheet as suggested and put it in Dropbox. You'll need a login to access it,, or you may be able to just download it Here's a link to the google sheets version:

Last edited:
Google Drive, no account needed to view, just label your file "anyone with link can view"
No thanks. I’ve got lots of personal stuff on my Google Drive and don’t want to give world access to anything on it. Friends & family only get access to my G drive.

How is sharing a link to a single file on drive any less secure than on Drop Box? Not arguing, just inquiring

How is sharing a link to a single file on drive any less secure than on Drop Box? Not arguing, just inquiring
Just a good security practice IMHO. If you let a hacker in the front door, who knows what they can do. Feel free to host the file on your Google drive and share a link if this doesn’t concern you.

If someone is unwilling to do an easy account setup on Dropbox, they probably are unlikely to fill out a spreadsheet.

The point here is that the info would be posted for pre-purchasers to view. So it's not just for filling out, but also to read.
You are correct, that is the whole point - sharing detailed cost info. One would hope that those filling out the spreadsheet would post a screen capture of it.

Users are free to use whatever they are comfortable with. If anyone isn't comfortable using Google Sheets or DropBox, you can still use the format posted by @PaulZooms in post #5 above for reference.

This is not a requirement to post in this thread, it is just a suggestion as it provides a lot more specific information that can be more helpful to your fellow buyers.

Anyone finding one for MSRP, with no other dealer add-ons? I sent one dealer a note saying I was ready to buy if he could get me the car for the price of MSRP, after they've added their DOC fee. (they usually try to strike a deal then add the DOC) This dealer asked me the infamous question " If I can do your deal, when can you come in"? based on their website, I doubt they would come close. See next post below

Last edited:
I think this is about as high as I've seen required dealer packages - $3,191.00. - MAYBE has a value of $500?

Horne Mazda Website

"Dealer installed items include but may exceed the following: Smart shield Paint and interior protection of $899, Window Tint of $799, Vehicle Theft Registration of $299, Dent and ding protection of $299, and 3 years of Prepaid Maintenance of $895."

I'd respect them more if they just said "market adjustment $3,200" rather than try to convince some rube that they're actually getting something worth $3,200.

$800 for tint (probably front since the rest I think is dyed) - YIKES. About $175 to have just 2 windows done at a shop.

Anyone finding one for MSRP, with no other dealer add-ons? I sent one dealer a note saying I was ready to buy if he could get me the car for the price of MSRP, after they've added their DOC fee. (they usually try to strike a deal then add the DOC) This dealer asked me the infamous question " If I can do your deal, when can you come in"? based on their website, I doubt they would come close. See next post below
I saw a dealer in NY advertising the CX-50 below MSRP.

This dealer asked me the infamous question " If I can do your deal, when can you come in"? based on their website, I doubt they would come close. See next post below
Yes, they want you to come in to wear you down and that that last/extra $500 out of you.

I've had good luck with telling a dealer "send me a breakdown of the final price and I'll be in this Saturday". Interestingly, they emailed me a proforma sales statement to the penny of what we discussed on the phone

Back