What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Updated Navigation data this morning from 2020 Q2 to 2020 Q4. There is a particular road here in Montreal that has been one-way for more than a year due to construction. Hopefully the GPS will stop trying to navigate me through there thinking it's a 2-way street.

Also filled up from Shell yesterday. My credit card gives me 6% back at Shell so it's slightly cheaper than Costco and I don't have to wait in line.

PS: I didn't wanna create a new thread for this, but is there any way to get SiriusXM Fuel Prices on my phone? I tried apps like GasBuddy, they're not nearly as accurate.
Man I forgot........I've got a Shell Credit card too. Ok I remember why I stopped using it and debit cards at gas stations. They got hackers putting devices on the card machines. Costco feels a bit safer to me since there's more visibility of people and attendants. I may go back to using cash.

Man I forgot........I've got a Shell Credit card too. Ok I remember why I stopped using it and debit cards at gas stations. They got hackers putting devices on the card machines. Costco feels a bit safer to me since there's more visibility of people and attendants. I may go back to using cash.
I either tap my card or pay through the Shell app. On top of credit card copiers, I don't like spending extra time outside when it's cold.

Speaking of cold, had to drive my girlfriend to work. Had to go on top of a hill and saw a lot of cars struggle. My CX-5 with Uniroyal winter tires (given by the dealership at a pretty good price) did amazing.
I normally wouldn't get tires from brands other than stuff like Michelin, Goodyear, Pirelli etc. but these perform really well so far. Apparently, it's a budget brand owned by Michelin.

Attachments

• IMG_2458.jpeg
    IMG_2458.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 108
Updated Navigation data this morning from 2020 Q2 to 2020 Q4. There is a particular road here in Montreal that has been one-way for more than a year due to construction. Hopefully the GPS will stop trying to navigate me through there thinking it's a 2-way street.
What would happen if the construction has eventually done after another year, but you run out of the free map update? :unsure:

Also filled up from Shell yesterday. My credit card gives me 6% back at Shell so it's slightly cheaper than Costco and I don't have to wait in line.
We can also get 4% cash back with Costco Visa when we get Shell or Costco gas. ;)

PS: I didn't wanna create a new thread for this, but is there any way to get SiriusXM Fuel Prices on my phone? I tried apps like GasBuddy, they're not nearly as accurate.
I use GasBuddy and yes it sometimes isn’t accurate since it relies on members to report the gas price. Some prices listed are out of date. Some would report inaccurate price or even fake lower price for certain gas stations. Not sure how to get SiriusXM Fuel Prices on the phone though. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
⋯ Speaking of cold, had to drive my girlfriend to work. Had to go on top of a hill and saw a lot of cars struggle. My CX-5 with Uniroyal winter tires (given by the dealership at a pretty good price) did amazing.
I normally wouldn't get tires from brands other than stuff like Michelin, Goodyear, Pirelli etc. but these perform really well so far. Apparently, it's a budget brand owned by Michelin.
Uniroyal used to be a name brand on tires and it’s pretty popular in the old days.

What would happen if the construction has eventually done after another year, but you run out of the free map update? :unsure:
That's the problem with offline Navigation systems in our cars. I'll see after 3 years, if it's not too expensive I might buy more map updates. I like having directions on my HUD.
We can also get 4% cash back with Costco Visa when we get Shell or Costco gas. ;)
Unfortunately here in Canada Costco only takes Mastercard Credit Cards, and they're in the process of changing their issuing bank so I can't even apply for a Costco Credit Card. Costco Membership gives 2% cashback but I don't know if gas purchases are included.

Uniroyal used to be a name brand on tires and it’s pretty popular in the old days.
I checked after I picked up the car, apparently yeah they used to be quite popular back in the day. Now they're Michelin-owned in North America and Continental-owned in Europe. I also checked reviews of my tires (Tiger Paw Ice and Snow 3) and I haven't seen anything horrible. I've only been driving on them for a week but had the chance to test them on snow and ice, and haven't had any issues. Will see how long they last.

⋯ I checked after I picked up the car, apparently yeah they used to be quite popular back in the day. Now they're Michelin-owned in North America and Continental-owned in Europe. I also checked reviews of my tires (Tiger Paw Ice and Snow 3) and I haven't seen anything horrible. I've only been driving on them for a week but had the chance to test them on snow and ice, and haven't had any issues. Will see how long they last.
This’s the banner often could be seen in tire stores for Uniroyal Tiger Paw GT back in 1980’s.

D323CA9A-E147-4F2D-B673-E3C867566203.jpeg

The UTQG on the sidewall (there may not be one on “winter” tires) should be a good indicator to tell how many miles the tire can last. But Uniroyal Tiger Paw Ice & Snow 3 is Severe Snow Service rated which is good for wintery road conditions.

Last edited:
Hmmm perhaps I should close my Shell CC and open up a Costco Card.

When gassing the CX-5 at Costco do you go same side as the pump or is the pump long enough to clear without damaging the roof/shark fin, ect.

You’ll get 4% cash back for Costco gas and all name brand gases including Shell、Chevron, etc. with Costco Visa card.

When gassing the CX-5 at Costco do you go same side as the pump or is the pump long enough to clear without damaging the roof/shark fin, ect.
For Costco gas, I always go to the same side of gas filler door, i.e. go left side of the gas pump with my CX-5 (haven’t happened though as I use only the Shell gas on my CX-5 since new), as the hose is designed to reach any side of car where the gas door located and it’s very long from Costco’s gas pump. I usually route the long hose behind the hatch so it won’t touch anything fragile. I also feel I can get the very last drops of gas in the hose if I pull the hose more straight to reach the other side of the car filling up the gas.

Can you tell me that these don't want you to go out and buy a set of Tiger Paws?

Aside from getting a carwash, I realized that my steering wheel vibrates a lot between 80 to 100km/h. Gave a quick call to Mazda, they told me to come in Monday morning. I am supposed to drive to work so I asked them if they give loaners, they said no.
I assume they either didn't balance or align properly when they installed winter tires & rims before handing the car to me.

PS: I love how Covid's an excuse for everything. No loaners? Oh, because of Covid. Horrible service at a random retailer? Blame it on Covid.

Last edited:
New tires on our 2018 GT.

Between shortages and keeping an eye on the budget due to having a newborn baby now, opted for Sumitomo HTR A/S P03. Installed out the door for $750 after a $70 rebate. No complaints so far.

New tires on our 2018 GT.

Between shortages and keeping an eye on the budget due to having a newborn baby now, opted for Sumitomo HTR A/S P03. Installed out the door for $750 after a $70 rebate. No complaints so far.
225/55R19 or 225/65R17?

Sumitomo HTR A/S P03 should be a good tire as Tire Rack rated it at #4 out of 28 “Ultra High Performance” all-season tires.

225/55R19 or 225/65R17?

Sumitomo HTR A/S P03 should be a good tire as Tire Rack rated it at #4 out of 28 “Ultra High Performance” all-season tires.

225/55R19. For an "ultra high performance" all season tire, they're far more comfortable than the OEM Toyos.

Swapped interior lights with LEDs. Got the LEDs from Amazon, it wasn't hard to swap the bulbs and I think it makes the interior look more premium. Also took out the cover and the bulb for the trunk but couldn't install the LED -- it was getting too dark and too cold.
DF841806-3A3F-4357-A154-2EA10F1AFCDE.JPGIMG_2493.jpegIMG_2494.jpeg

Also took out the cover and the bulb for the trunk but couldn't install the LED -- it was getting too dark and too cold.
Although Mazda had modified the wiring and added fuse protection to Rear Body Control Module (RBCM) which controls rear trunk light, I’d still be very careful while replacing the trunk light and make sure don’t short anything within the bulb holder. Of course removing either the fuse or battery negative would be the best before replacing the trunk light.

Last edited:

lol in the Miata world that's known as "doing the thing". I refuse to do it in any car, Miata or otherwise because it looks ridiculous.

lol in the Miata world that's known as "doing the thing". I refuse to do it in any car, Miata or otherwise because it looks ridiculous.
Every Costco gas station I’ve been they put up a sign saying “long hose” so that you don’t have to think about which side of gas pump you’re supposed to go, in addition to a light panel showing which pump is open so that you can move up and cut in preventing empty pumps sitting there as the view blocked by the 3rd car pumping the gas. (y)

Swapped interior lights with LEDs. Got the LEDs from Amazon, it wasn't hard to swap the bulbs and I think it makes the interior look more premium. Also took out the cover and the bulb for the trunk but couldn't install the LED -- it was getting too dark and too cold.
View attachment 307887View attachment 307888View attachment 307889
Makes a big difference in lighting to light up the whole cabinet.

I actually installed Red LED interior lights. From the outside you can't tell its on. I did this to read during my breaks in my old job's parking garage without attracting attention. And also to go full stealth Ninja mode.

Makes a big difference in lighting to light up the whole cabinet.

I actually installed Red LED interior lights. From the outside you can't tell its on. I did this to read during my breaks in my old job's parking garage without attracting attention. And also to go full stealth Ninja mode.
I agree.
Went to the dealership in the morning to get the vibration issue sorted. They said they apparently forgot to balance one of the tires when they delivered the car. I was in and out in less than an hour. Drove to work, no vibrations at all.
Also installed the trunk light.

Back