Winter is here and my CX-5 turbo is now a 2.0L!

Thanks for explaining. While this wouldn’t bother me, I understand why you are disappointed, perhaps p*ssed and angry.

As for checking the temperature, I always do so anyway. It’s not difficult and is important to situational awareness IMHO.
Sorry if I sounded pissed. Annoyed and disappointed is a more accurate description of how I feel about it. My weather awareness routine consists of checking for surface conditions and whether or not it’s below freezing. Adding a second temperature threshold is a bit of a distraction to me.

Honestly, the CX-5 excels in all conditions if you never push it beyond 6/10’s. Once you start to explore anything beyond that is when it starts to falter.

Update: On 12/17/21 Mazda released TSB 01-016/21 which sounds like it addresses the cold weather performance issue. I’m scheduled for the ECU update this Thursday at 1pm. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I learned of the TSB on the JB4 forum where another member has a Mazda tech connection. I was unable to find any info when I Googled it, but the service manager at my local Mazda dealership was able to find it and schedule my car for the update. I was the first CX-5 owner to inquire about it.

Update: On 12/17/21 Mazda released TSB 01-016/21 which sounds like it addresses the cold weather performance issue. I’m scheduled for the ECU update this Thursday at 1pm. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I learned of the TSB on the JB4 forum where another member has a Mazda tech connection. I was unable to find any info when I Googled it, but the service manager at my local Mazda dealership was able to find it and schedule my car for the update. I was the first CX-5 owner to inquire about it.

Thanks for posting @jcrout7992! I've updated the original post to refer to this new information. Let's hope this TSB gets us a proper explanation of what they were thinking and that the software update removes the restrictions.

On an interstate highway over the holidays, I had a rock strike and break the forward facing camera located at the bottom of the Mazda emblem on the front of my 2021 CX-5 Signature. So today I brought my car in to have the camera replaced (they ordered the wrong part :( ) and while there I asked if they could implement TSB 01-016/21. Asked me what I experienced, I told them, and they said "sure". So, I have been updated, but the temperature here today is in the 30s F, so I don't I can't tell if it did anything or not.

Frank

On an interstate highway over the holidays, I had a rock strike and break the forward facing camera located at the bottom of the Mazda emblem on the front of my 2021 CX-5 Signature. So today I brought my car in to have the camera replaced (they ordered the wrong part :( ) and while there I asked if they could implement TSB 01-016/21. Asked me what I experienced, I told them, and they said "sure". So, I have been updated, but the temperature here today is in the 30s F, so I don't I can't tell if it did anything or not.

Frank

Did you get an invoice from the dealership? If so, does it detail specifically what was updated, like software version or a firmware update number?

I did get an invoice, but it tells very little. Here it is, reproduced in its entirety.....

>>>Customer states: Sometimes from a get go - the vehicle seems to lack power slightly- inspect and advise.
Cause: 01-016/21
XXT89XFX SI: Lack of power when accelerating in cold temp
572 WP 0.45
13061 Tech inspected vehicle and verified concern. Tech found TSB related- and update available- Performed updated and verified repairs.
No other issues at this time. <<<

Frank

Hopefully someone in MN can get that TSB done today/tomorrow/Thursday since we're in for another deep freeze (~+5F for highs Wednesday/Thursday).

I’m scheduled for Thursday, and temps range from -3 to 13 that day. I’ll know immediately if it worked.
Hope it goes smoothly!
If it's not too much trouble, it'd be great to compare with your earlier chart at 17 deg:
8b31f962-a6df-4e44-b02e-fb20fee7ee3d-png.306451

Just asked my local dealer about having the TSB done on my car. Here was the response:

"The only way we can perform the TSB under warranty is if the vehicle is experiencing this issue. We will have to do diagnostics first in order for Mazda to accept the claim."

My question is, if the weather is warm (it is 55 and rising here today) how do they "diagnose" the issue? It doesn't throw codes, just retards power until the temps go back up. Seems like they have to rely on what the customer says they are experiencing to know unless it happens to be 20F when the car comes into the shop. I asked them about it and will come back with their answer.

Just asked my local dealer about having the TSB done on my car. Here was the response:

"The only way we can perform the TSB under warranty is if the vehicle is experiencing this issue. We will have to do diagnostics first in order for Mazda to accept the claim."

My question is, if the weather is warm (it is 55 and rising here today) how do they "diagnose" the issue? It doesn't throw codes, just retards power until the temps go back up. Seems like they have to rely on what the customer says they are experiencing to know unless it happens to be 20F when the car comes into the shop. I asked them about it and will come back with their answer.

Record a video of WOT acceleration from a stop at normal temps, then record another video of WOT acceleration from a stop at 20F or below. Provide those videos to the dealership. That should be good enough for them to perform the TSB.

Just tell them that acceleration is bad when it's cold

Just tell them that acceleration is bad when it's cold
Yeah I called my dealer this morning and they scheduled the appointment with no questions asked. It's not like this is some sort of labor intensive fix it's just a software update that should take 10 minutes. Sounds like your dealership is just giving you a hard time. You could probably have another dealer do it, I'm pretty sure you can bring your car to any authorized Mazda dealer for service/recalls/TSBs/etc. Good luck! Looking forward to hearing people's experiences after getting the TSB installed. Fingers crossed this fixes the issue!

Frank
I have no data, but I drove the car this morning, air temperature 18F, and it accelerated nicely. All three WOT pulls were quick, smooth, and with no discernable knock.

In the spring, summer and fall I run 91-92 octane. Now that it is winter, I run 87 octane, and it is clearly a 'winter blend', as my mileage has dropped roughly 2 mpg. These variables, coupled with my poorly calibrated 'butt dyno', mean that all I can qualitatively say is that the car accelerates nicely. Unfortunately, I cannot say if it accelerates the same or better than it did before the TSB was flashed. I simply did not run a back-to-back comparison, and no stopwatch or accelerometer was involved. But it does NOT feel like a Corolla.

Sorry I cannot tell you more, but I am thrilled that the ECU re-flash did not screw anything up.

I love my CX-5...............................Frank

I have no data, but I drove the car this morning, air temperature 18F, and it accelerated nicely. All three WOT pulls were quick, smooth, and with no discernable knock.

In the spring, summer and fall I run 91-92 octane. Now that it is winter, I run 87 octane, and it is clearly a 'winter blend', as my mileage has dropped roughly 2 mpg. These variables, coupled with my poorly calibrated 'butt dyno', mean that all I can qualitatively say is that the car accelerates nicely. Unfortunately, I cannot say if it accelerates the same or better than it did before the TSB was flashed. I simply did not run a back-to-back comparison, and no stopwatch or accelerometer was involved. But it does NOT feel like a Corolla.

Sorry I cannot tell you more, but I am thrilled that the ECU re-flash did not screw anything up.

I love my CX-5...............................Frank
What is your instant mpg readout under wot in 1st and 2nd? If youre being nerfed it will be 1.6 and near 3mpg by 60+. If not, barely 1s, low 2s by 60+, as I recall. This is the easiest way that does not rely on your "feelings and perceptions".

Last edited:
What is your instant mpg readout under wot in 1st and 2nd? If youre being nerfed it will be 1.6 and near 3mpg by 60+. If not, barely 1s, low 2s by 60+, as I recall. This is the easiest way that does not rely on your "feelings and perceptions".
I'll try to give this a try tomorrow...................... Frank

Yeah I called my dealer this morning and they scheduled the appointment with no questions asked. It's not like this is some sort of labor intensive fix it's just a software update that should take 10 minutes. Sounds like your dealership is just giving you a hard time. You could probably have another dealer do it, I'm pretty sure you can bring your car to any authorized Mazda dealer for service/recalls/TSBs/etc. Good luck! Looking forward to hearing people's experiences after getting the TSB installed. Fingers crossed this fixes the issue
This was my thinking. Not sure why its a big deal to update the programing so I don't ever have to worry about experiencing the issue. I paid 35k for a car to get the 250hp motor and there is a known issue with the programming which Mazda has supposedly resolved. If it is still under warranty, whats the problem?

This was my thinking. Not sure why its a big deal to update the programing so I don't ever have to worry about experiencing the issue. I paid 35k for a car to get the 250hp motor and there is a known issue with the programming which Mazda has supposedly resolved. If it is still under warranty, whats the problem?
Dealers get reimbursed by Mazda for warranty work. Somebody has to pay for the "free" work. That way the dealer is not out of pocket.
I'm guessing some dealers might be getting stiffed by Mazda, so they in turn will refuse to do any warranty work unless they have pre-aproval from Mazda that they will get compensated.
I had some paint correction work done on my car, and before it was scheduled, the dealer had to negotiate and get the go ahead from Mazda Canada. I can understand that they don't want to foot the bill for warranty work.

Back