Redline hood struts on sale

I bought a set of hood struts for $30 on Amazon with free 1 day shipping. Easy install & work great.
Nice... Might go with the cheaper also. Can you post the link? Just be safe and make sure your hood hold / prop rod is still in place as well, sort of like a hood jack-stand. Wouldn't want that heavy Mazda hood coming down on fingers.

I found the Redlines to be very high quality, not just the struts but also the mounting hardware and installation fit and finish. You won't need to prop the hood up with these. The struts are more than capable of supporting the hood. Even opens the hood higher than the support rod

Mazda should have included them from the factory.

Nice... Might go with the cheaper also. Can you post the link? Just be safe and make sure your hood hold / prop rod is still in place as well, sort of like a hood jack-stand. Wouldn't want that heavy Mazda hood coming down on fingers.

Ebay struts are coming from Chicom, takes about 3 weeks, may take a bit longer for holiday rush give or take. Mine took just under 3 weeks. Amazon prime shipping takes day or two. They're all made by the same company in China, 99% sure.

Hood Struts don't fail without any sign. All struts eventually fail with use, even the OEM Japanese ones too.

Ex
Ebay struts are coming from Chicom, takes about 3 weeks, may take a bit longer for holiday rush give or take. Mine took just under 3 weeks. Amazon prime shipping takes day or two. They're all made by the same company in China, 99% sure.

Hood Struts don't fail without any sign. All struts eventually fail with use, even the OEM Japanese ones too.
Thanks... just ordered the high flying brand for $30.

For now need to stretch $$ to make as many mods & accessories as can.

If the struts fail early, will just replace with the Redline's later.

Different boards already support the Redline lasting for 10 + years. We'll see how long the $30 high flying ones last.

Last edited:
Highflyer struts $30 and only 10 minutes install(with 12mm socket, wrench and breaker bar). Nice for the price. Will see how long they last.

However, the Redline struts have video of them just barely lifting hood with one finger and the struts taking over.

These struts you need to bring the hood approx. 21 inches up before it goes the rest of the way up on open(34 inches) and then close part way and let hood down easy so it doesn't slam down too hard.

For a guy the High flying brand is fine. If you get these for your lady's car, and she gets under the hood at all, maybe spend the $$ and get her the Redline's.

Last edited:
My Redlines also open the hood higher than the hood rod will so more room to work. How high do the Highflyer struts compared to the hood rod?

My Redlines also open the hood higher than the hood rod will so more room to work. How high do the Highflyer struts compared to the hood rod?
Exact same height as hood rod..can stick rod in as safety. But they don't go any higher.

They're ok and get the job done but they aren't great. They do make opening the heavy Mazda hood easy.

If these break early, then will probably get the redlines next.

Good to know. Yeah, anything has to be better than just a hood rod for a large heavy hood.

Yeah, unbelievable the weight of that steel hood.
Yes it is unusually heavy for such a small SUV.

My bigger Ford/mercury mariner steel hood and wife's Nissan Murano hood feel lighter and more balanced. Both are larger vehicles with lighter hoods.

Wondering if it's built so heavy for safety / crash reasons. Not sure why else it would be so heavy. Could drop alot of weight by replacing the hood to get my cx5 lighter.

Back