Transmission mount replacement question/issue

icspots

Paramagic
:
2012 Mazda 5
I’m in the middle of replacing my mounts to try and eliminate some idle vibration. Did the rear today, and I’m in the middle of the transmission mount. I did the right side one a year or two ago when it broke.

I just got the mount out and it’s cracked all to hell. My issue is there’s a little rectangular rubber piece which goes around (under) where the mount attaches to the transmission. I’ve seen in walkthroughs that this piece is just reused on the new mount, but mine appears to be missing a piece as it should be a continuos loop vs a U.

my new mount (rock auto) didn’t come with that piece. Everything is disassembled now and the mount is out. Will I have issues if I reinstall that broken piece? I can’t keep the car non-driveable for more than a day, and I somehow doubt a dealer stocks that random piece. I’m pretty sure the important parts of that insert are the sides with the top/bottom just connecting them. I don’t think it will cause an issue….. just wondering if anyone else can comment.

here’s the old broken mount.
1442BB10-9DC9-4DFC-9BF3-A6AD28637F04.jpeg

here’s the new mount with the broken rubber piece on top of it.
A94A85B1-3847-4E7F-930C-6CEBFEAFD8B1.jpeg

Last edited:
I am actually about to do the same thing. I got mine on Amazon, but it's one of Mazda dealers that actually ships the part. No Prime shipping, but I paid $110 plus tax. It's still available for $113, part number BBM5-39-070C. I took pictures of top and bottom, if it helps.

Attachments

• 20211111_133912.jpg
    20211111_133912.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 20211111_133928.jpg
    20211111_133928.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 125
Buy the correct mount from Mazda.

Why would you install a busted part?

Wasn’t looking for a critique of buying aftermarket parts. All videos or walkthroughs I’ve found on replacing that mount have I guess been from installs where that part wasn’t included new with the mount and the rubber piece was reused. It just happens that mine is missing that little rubber piece along one end, probably because the actual mount was cracked all to hell.

That little insert isn’t load bearing….. the transmission mates directly to the face of the mount. It looks like the insert just is there take up space in the void around the mount surfaces. The little 1/8” thick piece of rubber along the edges is in no way load bearing in any way shape or form.

Why would I reinstall a busted part? Because I’d already removed a broken mount, I had my engine supported on a jack, and I couldn’t leave it there. I now I have a fully functioning non broken mount, and have no issues at all with that piece in there missing an inch long piece of connective rubber. Now if I’d realized that OEM (and actually some aftermarket mounts) came with that piece as a replacement as well I would have ordered those. Once the broken mount was out was a little late to be dealing with it. Was curious if anyone else had encountered that before.

I am actually about to do the same thing. I got mine on Amazon, but it's one of Mazda dealers that actually ships the part. No Prime shipping, but I paid $110 plus tax. It's still available for $113, part number BBM5-39-070C. I took pictures of top and bottom, if it helps.

Which seller was it if you don’t mind my asking?

Avondale is a reputable company. If it really showed up broken in the box like that, they'll make it right.

Avondale is a reputable company. If it really showed up broken in the box like that, they'll make it right.

The mount I ordered arrived perfectly fine. It just didn’t include the little insert. That little piece of rubber is broken off of the insert I have. Reinstalled it anyway because I couldn’t just leave it disassembled. Will look into finding if I can replace just that piece.

The mount I ordered arrived perfectly fine. It just didn’t include the little insert. That little piece of rubber is broken off of the insert I have. Reinstalled it anyway because I couldn’t just leave it disassembled. Will look into finding if I can replace just that piece.
you were stuck in between rock and a hard place (with no rubber mount in between, pun intended) That's the problem with order parts from e-tailers when you have a daily driver. I opted to order a tranny mount from autozone (with coupons, ofc) instead of going the rockauto route cause readily available stores, returns, warranty.

Now you're stuck buying another mount, and returning the rockauto mount via RMA. sucks you have to do the job twice, but hey, $30 saved is $30 saved, right?

you were stuck in between rock and a hard place (with no rubber mount in between, pun intended) That's the problem with order parts from e-tailers when you have a daily driver. I opted to order a tranny mount from autozone (with coupons, ofc) instead of going the rockauto route cause readily available stores, returns, warranty.

Now you're stuck buying another mount, and returning the rockauto mount via RMA. sucks you have to do the job twice, but hey, $30 saved is $30 saved, right?
I suppose. Realistically I’ll drive on that piece until it breaks and causes more vibration. I’m betting that saved money will get me through until I replace the van in the next 1-4 years. The stock mount was toast, so I’m pretty sure a fresh mount will do just fine for awhile.

Back