2016 CX-9 GT noise when braking

Very weird only One time click noise when coming to a stop after first start the car after some pause. Noted the noise when changing directions. For example, if I park backwards in the garage and next day start the car and move it out of the garage and hit the brake, I can hear clearly the click. It is only once. After that it is not to hear as long not changing directions. Like if I am backing up and push the brake, will click again only the first time. After that it stops fine, but no sound or noise.
Today I rotated the tires and checked the calipers, all are rock solid, no movement. This is why I start thinking it could be the drive shaft or the transmission. The vehicle is FWD only!
So, anyone heard of something like this?

youri, you are the man. Thanks for pointing out to this TBS. I think the problem is defined well and applies to what I have here.
Does Mazda fix this problem under warranty or owner still pays for it?

So I took my car in for this issue yesterday (brakes clicking, low speed squealing). They tested and verified that the issue exists, referenced the TSB posted in this thread, then ordered the parts required to resolve the issue. Apparently they didn't have any parts on hand because this is the first time they have had this issue. I'll have to bring the car back in once the parts arrive.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the work order says I'll get new front brake pads and shims for the front and rear.

Last edited:
Did you pay for the repair?

Repair hasn't happened yet. Still waiting on the parts. I'm actually going to follow up with them today.

Based on what the service rep said, everything should be covered under warranty. I'll post here when the repair has been completed.

New brake pads and shims were finally installed yesterday, but the tech says that the noise persists. I haven't been able to replicate it yet, but I've only had the car back for a day so far. Parts and labour were covered under warranty. They want me to bring it back in.

There is a brake related TSB for what might be your issue. If
Even if you manually checked the brake, i don’t know if you would be able to replicate this by hand on the lift.
I have the same problem with my 2019 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve (has turbo like CX-9) Dealer explained the issue same as in the TSBand mentioned it is common in the CX-9. They Will do the repair when they receive the faulty and leaking shocks that are on backorder arrive - another common problem - leaking shocks. Thank you @youri

New brake pads and shims were finally installed yesterday, but the tech says that the noise persists. I haven't been able to replicate it yet, but I've only had the car back for a day so far. Parts and labour were covered under warranty. They want me to bring it back in.

Just a follow up - it's been almost a year since I had the new pads and shims installed as a result of the TSB. I didn't bring it back to the dealer because the noise never came back :)

Following this. Great info here. I had the local dealer check my car out for the same clicking shortly before hitting 60k. The shop manager told me his wife has the same suv and hears the same sound. He drove my car and believed that it was the same issue his wife had - the brake pads moving a tiny bit inside the calipers. I was concerned it might be a power train issue at first because I was feeling it when shifting from reverse to drive after backing out of the garage.

Just a follow up - it's been almost a year since I had the new pads and shims installed as a result of the TSB. I didn't bring it back to the dealer because the noise never came back
Just a follow up - it's been almost a year since I had the new pads and shims installed as a result of the TSB. I didn't bring it back to the dealer because the noise never came back :)
How did you get them to cover pad replacement?

How did you get them to cover pad replacement?

I didn't really have to try at all. They never attempted to charge me for the work/parts. It might be different for other dealers.

If they had tried to charge me, I would have argued that because new pads and hardware are required to eliminate the noise (caused by a defect in the design of the old pads), I shouldn't have to pay for the new pads. The basic warranty covers all parts that exhibit defects from the factory - that should include defective brake pads. The noise only shows up after some use because the pads have worn to a certain degree, and the noise is not normal because it wasn't there before.

I didn't really have to try at all. They never attempted to charge me for the work/parts. It might be different for other dealers.

If they had tried to charge me, I would have argued that because new pads and hardware are required to eliminate the noise (caused by a defect in the design of the old pads), I shouldn't have to pay for the new pads. The basic warranty covers all parts that exhibit defects from the factory - that should include defective brake pads. The noise only shows up after some use because the pads have worn to a certain degree, and the noise is not normal because it wasn't there before.
Thank you. Was this for all 4 corners?

My 2020 mazda cx-9 has only 8000 miles and the brakes have a grinding sound. Does anyone else have this problem?

My 2020 mazda cx-9 has only 8000 miles and the brakes have a grinding sound. Does anyone else have this problem?

Tell the dealership service rep your brakes are squeaking. Present this TSB. You can either print out the PDF or just show it to them on your phone. You can also just write down the bulletin number (04-004/20) and ask them to look it up in their system.

I had a similar issue, and the dealership replaced my rear pads and hardware for free. Other dealerships may charge you for new pads/hardware, it's really up to the dealer.

Back