Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Who is having coolant leak issues and have had their engines replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 46 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 61.0%

• Total voters
⋯ Let me rephrase my intention a bit: I won't be buying another CX-9/CX-90 any time soon. This may change in the future, but my personal experience has left a sour taste that I have to wash away before I'm willing to try again, you know?
Very understandable.

Maybe I'll scoop up an MX-5 and leave the family hauling to a Honda Odyssey or something.
Not a vehicle from Honda where its reliability is going to wrong direction in recent years. And Honda Odyssey features the only V6 in the US still using timing belt which requires periodical replacement with high cost. The VCM, cylinder deactivation, on the V6 is infamous of long-term problems too with class action law suit involved.

Not a vehicle from Honda where its reliability is going to wrong direction in recent years. And Honda Odyssey features the only V6 in the US still using timing belt which requires periodical replacement with high cost. The VCM, cylinder deactivation, on the V6 is infamous of long-term problems too with class action law suit involved.
The Odyssey was just something I spat out. I don’t want a van. But whatever I get (if I do replace my cx9) will be another SUV or a truck.

I also don't trust the dealer service to disassemble and reassemble the engine
Agreed. If I ever have to replace the engine, I’d either take it to an independent mechanic or do it myself. I’d also rather get a revised long block rather than a short block. Just finished downloading the whole service manual from Mazda’s site, so theoretically I could do it, would just take time and a few more tools

Agreed. If I ever have to replace the engine, I’d either take it to an independent mechanic or do it myself. I’d also rather get a revised long block rather than a short block. Just finished downloading the whole service manual from Mazda’s site, so theoretically I could do it, would just take time and a few more tools
I won't even change my own oil, LOL.

I got an extended warranty on my CX-9 and I normally never buy them for anything. But with it being a new design at the time and loaded with electronics and a new engine design, I wanted piece of mind.

So if the time comes that I get denied coverage over this issue, there's going to be hell to pay. When the finance guy sold it to me I specifically asked if it covered everything that would be covered under the 3 year/36K factory warranty and he said yes. And I was under the impression that it wasn't 3rd party, but a Mazda extended warranty.
Mazda extended warranty would be the right choice

Agreed. If I ever have to replace the engine, I’d either take it to an independent mechanic or do it myself. I’d also rather get a revised long block rather than a short block. Just finished downloading the whole service manual from Mazda’s site, so theoretically I could do it, would just take time and a few more tools.
If this became a DIY, I'd never just replace an engine without trying to diagnose the problem first. There have been a number of theories posted here, but nothing from Mazda yet confirming what the root cause of these leaks actually is. If the problem is a true crack in the block, then yes a new short or long block would be required.

But anything else, including stripped head bolt block threads, could potentially be repaired for much less than the cost of a new engine. Even a new head, if it turned out to be cracked, would be quite a bit less expensive than an engine. So I'd want to disassemble down to the block, in order to try and diagnose exactly what's causing the leak before making any decision.

If this became a DIY, I'd never just replace an engine without trying to diagnose the problem first. There have been a number of theories posted here, but nothing from Mazda yet confirming what the root cause of these leaks actually is. If the problem is a true crack in the block, then yes a new short or long block would be required.

But anything else, including stripped head bolt block threads, could potentially be repaired for much less than the cost of a new engine. Even a new head, if it turned out to be cracked, would be quite a bit less expensive than an engine. So I'd want to disassemble down to the block, in order to try and diagnose exactly what's causing the leak before making any decision.
That’s fair. With all the service manuals, I don’t see why that wouldn’t be possible. It’s like following instructions for Lego sets just a lot more time consuming

I have 2014 CX 9 (not certain of engine) and had car cut off while driving. Had towed to AAA and was told oil was muddy, low coolant, and had a cracked head gasket and was recommended to have engine replaced for $10k+ by dealer. Considering having this replaced by a local mechanic for less but I’m finding out now this is a bigger problem. (Would get fixed and give to son) After reading a few things on the topic not really sure what to do next. Any suggestions?

The ‘14 is not the same generation or engine as this thread, so I’m not sure how to directly relate. If it were me, for a car that’s eight years old, I’d treat it like an insurance company would: if the repairs outweigh its value, then let it go and get something else.

The ‘14 is not the same generation or engine as this thread, so I’m not sure how to directly relate. If it were me, for a car that’s eight years old, I’d treat it like an insurance company would: if the repairs outweigh its value, then let it go and get something else.
Thanks. I read about possible lawsuits or other remedy against Mazda/manufacturers so also trying to determine if my situation is applicable.

Agreed with s0n1x. 2014 is a different engine. Typically the issue with those is a faulty water pump that leaks into the oil. I recommend you start a specific thread for your questions. But you can also search the pump issue on the forum. There is a lot on the topic already on here as well.

If you still have access to the service manuals, I wonder if you can check for toque spec differences between the different years. Like say the head bolts betweem a 2016 and a 2020. It would be interesting to see if there are any differences and if so, a re-torque of the head bolts might be a possible preventative measure.

If you still have access to the service manuals, I wonder if you can check for toque spec differences between the different years. Like say the head bolts betweem a 2016 and a 2020. It would be interesting to see if there are any differences and if so, a re-torque of the head bolts might be a possible preventative measure.
Unfortunately I do not anymore. It was just 24 hour access. If anyone has the 2020 or newer service manual, we could compare notes. Otherwise, the next time I pay for access will be if I need to do something not covered in the pages I downloaded

Hi; I've been following this thread off and on since I've first seen it.
What I'm not clear on is;
Has this issue showed up in any of the 2019-2021 model years?
Thank you all for sharing.

Hi; I've been following this thread off and on since I've first seen it.
What I'm not clear on is;
Has this issue showed up in any of the 2019-2021 model years?
Thank you all for sharing.
Those earlier CX-9’s with the 2.5T didn’t have this coolant leak problem from 2016 to 2019. This means the problem seems to be showing up only after several years of service with certain mileage. Mazda doesn’t have any official revisions to the 2.5T, and there’s no TSBs describing the cause of the issue. Only time will tell if newer (2019 ~2021) 2.5T’s could still suffer the same coolant leak issue.

Hi all, I created an online form to collect data on this issue. Feel free to share the link.

https://forms.gle/ZwE3En5KNrLLPbyB7

I'm somewhat worried myself for my 2016.

Thanks!
Thanks for putting this form together. It will be interesting to see the results.

I just got off the phone with Mazda USA regarding our 2016 and after a 3 month wait for a new engine, they have escalated it to the top level and will be flying the part from Japan as soon as they can coordinate it. They will be updating me with an ETA in the next couple of days.

In my last conversation with the dealer, they let me know that there is another CX9 waiting behind mine for a new engine now.

The Mazda USA rep was extremely professional and really seemed to want to help. He is confirming for me whether the new parts are updated from the original. I suspect they are, but let's see what I hear back.

Thanks for putting this form together. It will be interesting to see the results.

I just got off the phone with Mazda USA regarding our 2016 and after a 3 month wait for a new engine, they have escalated it to the top level and will be flying the part from Japan as soon as they can coordinate it. They will be updating me with an ETA in the next couple of days.

In my last conversation with the dealer, they let me know that there is another CX9 waiting behind mine for a new engine now.

The Mazda USA rep was extremely professional and really seemed to want to help. He is confirming for me whether the new parts are updated from the original. I suspect they are, but let's see what I hear back.
What is the model year of the one "waiting behind" yours?

Back