Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Who is having coolant leak issues and have had their engines replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 48 40.3%
  • No

Votes: 71 59.7%

• Total voters
I didn't see any significant coolant loss until it started leaking out of the back of the engine. The low coolant light never came on and the car never indicated an overheat condition. The diagnosis is officially a warped head.
Thanks for explanation. This’s similar to the overheating problem on some older CX-5’s with 2.2L diesel. No warnings, just coolant everywhere in the engine bay. Once the large volume of coolant started leaking out from the warped or cracked cylinder head, some warning lights should come on.

I have been waiting about 3 months for the repair now and the dealer has no updated date on when they might receive the motor. They reported that they have another CX9 at their dealership waiting behind mine for an engine now, too.
Really? 3 months waiting? That’s unbelievable! You can use state lemon law to get your money back if your CX-9 is within a year new.

This is not reassuring for me. I don't have months to wait (I'm relocating for work soon), and so if I have to relocate before my car is ready, I'm not sure how that would work...
You may try to request Mazda North American Operations authorizing the Mazda dealer to move a new 2.5T engine from a new vehicle to yours in your situation.

You may try to request Mazda North American Operations authorizing the Mazda dealer to move a new 2.5T engine from a new vehicle to yours in your situation.
Can't imagine they'd ever do that. Would be twice the labor. They would likely just set him up with a loaner out of the dealer closest to the new location. Even if they had to ship his vehicle back to him when it's done. All easier than taking an engine out of a new vehicle.

issue not caused by internal rotating part failure....
i will never buy an extended warranty again.
Meanwhile thank you Mazda, CX9 is runing great.
I got an extended warranty on my CX-9 and I normally never buy them for anything. But with it being a new design at the time and loaded with electronics and a new engine design, I wanted piece of mind.

So if the time comes that I get denied coverage over this issue, there's going to be hell to pay. When the finance guy sold it to me I specifically asked if it covered everything that would be covered under the 3 year/36K factory warranty and he said yes. And I was under the impression that it wasn't 3rd party, but a Mazda extended warranty.

Can't imagine they'd ever do that. Would be twice the labor. They would likely just set him up with a loaner out of the dealer closest to the new location. Even if they had to ship his vehicle back to him when it's done. All easier than taking an engine out of a new vehicle.
Been there and done that several times before on my previous VW’s when the parts were not available for warranty replacement. The biggest item was entire K-Jetronic fuel injection air flow meter and dispenser removed from a brand new VW Jetta and installed into mine. Yes engine replacement is a much bigger deal, but you never know if you don’t ask.

I wonder if it would be easier/more economical for the dealer to offer a reasonable trade-up to a newer model (assuming they have new models to sell/trade).

I wonder if it would be easier/more economical for the dealer to offer a reasonable trade-up to a newer model (assuming they have new models to sell/trade).
Honestly, if the engine needs to be replaced in a fairly new vehicle of mine, I’d lose the confidence to the brand, and I wouldn’t want to spend any more money for the same brand of vehicle, unless it has different and more reliable engine in that model.

Honestly, if the engine needs to be replaced in a fairly new vehicle of mine, I’d lose the confidence to the brand, and I wouldn’t want to spend any more money for the same brand of vehicle, unless it has different and more reliable engine in that model.

Oh I agree, that's why I said that the deal would need to be reasonable. At the very least, in his situation, maybe s0n1c could negotiate a buyback?

Left up to the dealer, and depending on where and when s0n1c is relocating, the dealer would probably set up a loaner as JPL suggested, then deliver the repaired car whenever it's ready.

Last edited:
Left up to the dealer, and depending on where and when s0n1c is relocating, the dealer would probably set up a loaner as JPL suggested, then deliver the repaired car whenever it's ready.
If ending up this’s the case, s0n1c should insist “truck” the repaired CX-5 over to his new location, or most likely Mazda will use much cheaper way to have somebody driving the CX-5 over, adding more miles to the vehicle with a new engine. And the driver will never follow the break-in rules to a new engine when he drives.

Last edited by a moderator:
If ending up this’s the case, s0n1c should insist “truck” the repaired CX-5 over to his new location, or most likely Mazda will use much cheaper way to have somebody driving the CX-5 over, adding more miles to the vehicle with a new engine. And the driver will never follow the break-in rules to a new engine when he drives.
So trucking it would happen via my job's relocation plan. I'm moving almost 2700 miles. I doubt Mazda will pay a person to drive it across the country, nor would I want them to do that. I would just tell the relo company to wait until it's ready and they can pick it up from the dealer (or Mazda can pay for me to fly across the country to pick it up myself).

If push comes to shove, I would rather the dealer that has it just buy it from me. They already told me they would, but wouldn't actually buy it until the repairs are completed. Having said that, I spoke to the service rep this morning and he said he was given an estimate of 3-4 weeks for the engine block when it was ordered 2 weeks ago but he doesn't have any further updates. If it's going to be a matter of weeks, instead of months, I won't have any problems. I'm not moving until early 2022.

Side note (not that it really matters): My CX-9 is the one that's in for repairs. My wife's CX-5 is just fine, and my loaner is a CX-5 -- which is just too small for me.

So trucking it would happen via my job's relocation plan. I'm moving almost 2700 miles. I doubt Mazda will pay a person to drive it across the country, nor would I want them to do that. I would just tell the relo company to wait until it's ready and they can pick it up from the dealer (or Mazda can pay for me to fly across the country to pick it up myself).

If push comes to shove, I would rather the dealer that has it just buy it from me. They already told me they would, but wouldn't actually buy it until the repairs are completed. Having said that, I spoke to the service rep this morning and he said he was given an estimate of 3-4 weeks for the engine block when it was ordered 2 weeks ago but he doesn't have any further updates. If it's going to be a matter of weeks, instead of months, I won't have any problems. I'm not moving until early 2022.

Side note (not that it really matters): My CX-9 is the one that's in for repairs. My wife's CX-5 is just fine, and my loaner is a CX-5 -- which is just too small for me.
It's hard for me to understand that Mazda North American Operations are only willing to replace the cylinder block in your case. It's simpler with whole engine replacement, although it should be a factory rebuild, as the labor is much cheaper. And I really don't trust a dealer to re-assemble an engine by themselves. If I were you, I'd accept the buy-back by the dealer after the repair without any hesitation.

Many years ago we drove "drive-away" cars from Midwest to California free for car dealers or vehicle shipping companies to save money on travel cost. A friend of mine who moved from Dallas to San Diego with company expense for retirement several years ago told me the cost to ship his CX-5 is about $1,200 in a container, but only $600 with drive-away.

It's hard for me to understand that Mazda North American Operations are only willing to replace the cylinder block in your case. It's simpler with whole engine replacement, although it should be a factory rebuild, as the labor is much cheaper. And I really don't trust a dealer to re-assemble an engine by themselves. If I were you, I'd accept the buy-back by the dealer after the repair without any hesitation.

Many years ago we drove "drive-away" cars from Midwest to California free for car dealers or vehicle shipping companies to save money on travel cost. A friend of mine who moved from Dallas to San Diego with company expense for retirement several years ago told me the cost to ship his CX-5 is about $1,200 in a container, but only $600 with drive-away.
I'm with you on this and I would take the buy-back offer. My confidence in the brand would already be shaken and hearing some horror stories about what sometimes happens even with simple oil changes at dealership service departments would completely shatter any remaining confidence that the job could be done competently. Maybe it would be done by a skilled technician, maybe not. I too am wondering why they aren't doing a complete engine swap rather than replace the block.

If I were you, I'd accept the buy-back by the dealer after the repair without any hesitation.

I'm still considering this, but if I wait until it's ready, I'm going to shop around for trade-in values. They offered $28k for it, and said they would buy it now if I bought something from them first. But they're just a Mazda and Acura dealer, and I don't want another Mazda. The MDX looks nice, but brand new are $60k+ so I'm not going to do that. Unless they get the right CPO MDX (or something else used through their inventory), I'm just stuck until it's fixed.

Oh it already is. This is the second Mazda I've had to have a dealer replace the engine (or engine block in this case). I am not buying another one.
All brands have had issues. You've just had bad luck with Mazda. Even brands known primarily for reliability, like Toyota, have had to replace transmissions in new vehicles. It flies under the radar but just check out their forums too. Honda is far from what they used to be.

Depends on where your interests are in cars. It's hard to replace the driving nature of Mazda's as well as their style and interior quality in the class.

Last edited:
I think there might be a misunderstanding. I'm confident the engine block in the conversation is actually referring to the long block. That's the official remedy.

I think there might be a misunderstanding. I'm confident the engine block in the conversation is actually referring to the long block. That's the official remedy.
I wish I could agree, but the Mazda service rep informed me twice and confirmed they're not replacing the long block. They are replacing the short block.

I wish I could agree, but the Mazda service rep informed me twice and confirmed they're not replacing the long block. They are replacing the short block.
Sorry didn't catch the part where you have already confirmed it'll be a short block.

Sorry didn't catch the part where you have already confirmed it'll be a short block.
I wish it wasn't the short block, as I also don't trust the dealer service to disassemble and reassemble the engine, but I don't seem to have much say in this matter. There's very limited transparency in this process, and that stresses me out too.

All brands have had issues. You've just had bad luck with Mazda. Even brands know for primarily for reliability, like Toyota, have had to replace transmissions in new vehicles. It flies under the radar but just check out their forums too. Honda is far from what they used to be.

Depends on where your interests are in cars. It's hard to replace the driving nature of Mazda's as well as their style and interior quality in the class.
I agree here, but since this is my family hauler, safety, reliability, and comfort are the most important aspects. Safety and comfort are fine, but my CX-9 left me on the side of the interstate temporarily three different times while I had my daughter in the car. I say temporarily because I had to coast to the next exit and literally turn it off and back on again to fix it enough to drive each time.

Let me rephrase my intention a bit: I won't be buying another CX-9/CX-90 any time soon. This may change in the future, but my personal experience has left a sour taste that I have to wash away before I'm willing to try again, you know?

Maybe I'll scoop up an MX-5 and leave the family hauling to a Honda Odyssey or something.

Back