2022 CX-5?

Sounds like the inline 6 is for the large architecture.

"Following the CX-50, Mazda will introduce two additional Crossover SUVs built on an all-new larger platform: the three-row CX-90 and the CX-70. These models will feature Mazda’s new longitudinal architecture with new inline-six-cylinder and plug-in hybrid powertrains. This shared layout provides both vehicles Mazda’s next-level performance, handling, technology, and design."

I wonder if the car we saw about 6 months ago in camouflage was the CX-70?

The CX-50 looks to be something new. This phrase from Mazda: " functionality for consumers with outdoor active lifestyles." makes me think of a Subaru Crosstrek.

Last edited:
Wow, lots to unpack from the article.

• CX-50 to be unveiled next month, with production beginning in Jan 2022 at the Alabama Toyota-Mazda plant. No word on drivetrains yet, but it seems it will not be on the new longitudinal platform
  • CX-90 and CX-70 to be announced/revealed in 2022-2023, both will be on the new platform with new drivetrains that include turbocharged inline six engines and plug-in hybrid models, presumably built in Japan
  • Rotary engine makes a return as a range extender in the MX-30 plug-in hybrid model, coming in H1 2022
  • CX-5 will continue to be sold alongside the CX-50 for the forseeable future

Exciting things coming from Mazda in the next few years!

I wonder if the car we saw about 6 months ago in camouflage was the CX-70?

The CX-50 looks to be something new. This phrase from Mazda: " functionality for consumers with outdoor active lifestyles." makes me think of a Subaru Crosstrek.
The comment was in reference to the AWD system. It don't think it only applied to the CX-50.

• CX-50 to be unveiled next month, with production beginning in Jan 2022 at the Alabama Toyota-Mazda plant. No word on drivetrains yet, but it seems it will not be on the new longitudinal platform

The CX-50 will definitely be a FWD CUV.

"The CX-50 will share its platform with Mazda’s latest generation products, CX-30 and Mazda3"

"The CX-50 will share its platform with Mazda’s latest generation products, CX-30 and Mazda3"

I really hope they don't just stick the 2.5T in it and call it a day. That would be a bad move IMO.

I really hope they don't just stick the 2.5T in it and call it a day. That would be a bad move IMO.

I thought they implied that only the "large" architecture vehicles would get the inline 6. But I am hoping they at least stick in a battery assist to the 2.5 NA vehicle.

But there’s nothing else available on powertrains from Mazda. Where’s SPCCI SkyActiv-X where Mazda has invested so much money for development?

The comment was in reference to the AWD system. It don't think it only applied to the CX-50.

No, that entire paragraph is talking about nothing but the CX-50.

The full phrase is: "The CX-50 will share its platform with Mazda's latest generation products, CX-30 and Mazda3, with enhanced all-wheel drive (AWD) capabilities and functionality for consumers with outdoor active lifestyles."

But there’s nothing else available on powertrains from Mazda. Where’s SPCCI SkyActiv-X where Mazda has invested so much money for development?

Japan and Europe so far. No idea if it will ever come to NA.

Mazda Europe posted the following image in their press release. Remember that Europe is only getting the RWD CX-60/80 so this gives us an idea of the silhouette for the CX-70/90 in the US. It will certainly have a higher beltline and taller horizontal hood.

20211007175114.png

What happened to the CX-50 being RWD based? That was the rumor up until now.
That had been talked about in conjunction with the in-line 6 and large architecture. Perhaps CX-70.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sucks, because I was really hoping.

But not really wrong. The rumors said Mazda was releasing a SUV called the CX-50 and also something about a new CX-7 (Future Cars: The 2023 Mazda CX-7 Is the Cavalry the Brand Needs). They also mentioned that the new upscale SUV that would be getting the inline 6. We assumed the CX-50 and the new "CX-7" were the same thing, instead they are two different vehicles - and one is not even the CX-7 but rather the CX-70.

So you could make the argument that mosts of the rumors were right but were only looking at a small piece of the puzzle.

You will be able to buy a 5 seater Mazda with an inline 6 just as we all were hoping. Won't be a CX-50 but a CX-70.

What’s the difference between the CX-5 platform and the CX-30 (now adding CX-50)?

What’s the difference between the CX-5 platform and the CX-30 (now adding CX-50)?
It will be stiffer and lighter than the older platform in the CX-5. They also designed the structure of the platform to transfer less noise and vibration. The new platform ended up being much quieter. In addition the new platform can support all future electrification options.

Back