Here's a good Mazda parts department for factory wheels

Just wanted to share a parts department I found who was selling the factory wheels "cheaper" than most others. I wanted a full-size spare matching my existing wheels. My local Mazda dealer wanted $509 (down from $540 when I asked if they could provide a better price). I went to rockymountainmazda.com and got a wheel for $309 which is still insane but at least it's new and unblemished. Yes you can find these on ebay but they are usually scratched up for $200+. There's also this place in the Philippines (mikstoreph.com) which must get these out the back door from the factory in China for $192 plus shipping.

Just wanted to share a parts department I found who was selling the factory wheels "cheaper" than most others. I wanted a full-size spare matching my existing wheels. My local Mazda dealer wanted $509 (down from $540 when I asked if they could provide a better price). I went to rockymountainmazda.com and got a wheel for $309 which is still insane but at least it's new and unblemished. Yes you can find these on ebay but they are usually scratched up for $200+. There's also this place in the Philippines (mikstoreph.com) which must get these out the back door from the factory in China for $192 plus shipping.
I believe you’re talking about getting an alloy wheel for the price over $300? I personally would get a much cheaper steel wheel if I really prefer a full-size spare. I went much cheaper way getting a used T155/90D18 103M compact spare from a 2015 Mazda CX-9 which has the same outer diameter as the road tires. And this’s the spare tire size listed on Mazda’s specs for CX-5 AWD on Mazda’s website in early days.

The OEM wheel is what I purchased to have a matching set of five. I certainly didn't like the idea that if I get a flat on the front I have to first move one from the back to the front then use the spare.

OEM should be good quality and no question about the fit.
Do you have AWD? I think you want all four to match as much as possible.

The OEM wheel is what I purchased to have a matching set of five. I certainly didn't like the idea that if I get a flat on the front I have to first move one from the back to the front then use the spare.
Good point by having 5 same alloy wheels. My 2000 BMW 528i comes with the same 5 alloy wheels from factory. In past 21.5 years the full-size spare has been sitting in the trunk and has almost never been removed as the way it’s stored making the valve stem facing upward so that I can check the air easily not like our CX-5. My theory is I’d use my same-outer-diameter compact spare at front if I ever need it, and drive the car carefully to a nearest tire shop or Discount Tire Store to fix the flat properly. I’d not try to change the tire TWICE on the highway shoulder if I had a flat at front which is too dangerous! (Been there and done that!)

Another good part with 5 alloy wheels is you can do tire rotation with all 5 tires which is often recommended by car manufactures in the old days. Of course the tire life is much shorter at the time, rotating 5 tires can prolong the tire change interval. Nowadays many tires have 80K miles tread life, we sometimes have to worry about changing the tires with too much tread left but the tire age is reaching their designed life of 8 ~ 10 years.

And if you accidentally damaged any alloy wheels, you can use the spare as the regular road tire and move that as the spare if the damage is minor.

On the side note, I just had the factory T145/90D16 106M compare spare installed at the right front a couple of day ago since the stock Toyo A23 19” tire got a small metal tube and is leaking air. Driving with much smaller 16” spare at RF of course only on the local road at slower speed. My observation is the spare is not only caused some hum noise at ~15 mph, the TPMS warning light is eventually lit as expected since the much smaller spare is turning at higher revolutions.

I have the exact same spec tire and wheel as a spare. It figures Yokohoma would have discontinued the tire that just came on my new car, grrr. I was lucky to have found one in my area as most locations had 0. The only thing I left out was the TPMS sensor as I'm not concerned about that. I check my tires every Saturday anyway.

I bought a Prelude wheel from Wheels of America. It was like new and on sale for $50!

Usually they are much more. The OEM Mazda MPV wheel I bought off Craigslist was only$60, the WOA price $141 ( and that discounted from their regular price).

My theory is I’d use my same-outer-diameter compact spare at front if I ever need it, and drive the car carefully to a nearest tire shop or Discount Tire Store to fix the flat properly. I’d not try to change the tire TWICE on the highway shoulder if I had a flat at front which is too dangerous! (Been there and done that!
I believe that the OP has a turbo model. As we've seen in other posts, the supplied spare doesn't fit over the larger front brakes and thus must be installed only on the rear. So if the flat is on the front, then a double change is needed. A matching OEM rim makes sense in that regard.

I have a couple of complete full size new toyo tire, rim, sensors in the for sale section...

I believe that the OP has a turbo model. As we've seen in other posts, the supplied spare doesn't fit over the larger front brakes and thus must be installed only on the rear. So if the flat is on the front, then a double change is needed. A matching OEM rim makes sense in that regard.
Although OP didn’t say, but he did mentioned he’s looking for the same stock “Yokohama” tires for the spare to match the road tires. That means his CX-5 comes with Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H tires , and he has a non-turbo 2.5L. He can use stock 16” compact spare T145/90D16 106M at front.

In past 21.5 years the full-size spare has been sitting in the trunk and has almost never been removed

I have a news for you. My '85 VW Camper came with full size Michelin. It's never been used until 10+ years later when I found a rather large nail on the RR tire. Fixed the flat but was running with the spare for while locally. Then first time driving on I-80 @ 70mph, the spare blew up. Lesson learned the hard way.

I have a news for you. My '85 VW Camper came with full size Michelin. It's never been used until 10+ years later when I found a rather large nail on the RR tire. Fixed the flat but was running with the spare for while locally. Then first time driving on I-80 @ 70mph, the spare blew up. Lesson learned the hard way.
I also had a 1987 VW Vanagon Syncro and it came with 5 alloy wheels and 205/70R14 Michelin tires from Austria factory. The Michelin tires were reinforced version with the maximum inflation pressure of 40 psi and at the time the maximum tire pressure on tires is only 35 psi in the US. The tire pressure recommendations by VW were 36 psi at front and 40 psi at rear. In the life time of those Michelin’s including the 2nd set of the same tires I had 3 blowout experiences on the highway! One blowout even damaged the wheel well panel and Michelin refused to do anything to the damage. That’s why I prefer higher maximum inflation pressure for more safety margin on tires, 51 psi on most new tires nowadays, as I hate the blowout on the highway.

And those Michelin’s definitely were not more than 10 years old.

With a full size spare it is best to include it in the tire rotation so it wears out with the others and can be replaced at the same time.

While some might want the peace of mind of a brand new fullsize spare, there are some less costly options out there for those who don't have $300 to $500 for spare wheels. They just need to do their own research and decide what's best.

Although hard to come by, may find larger Mazda mini-spares on 17 or 18 inch rims and could put a 165 90r17 tire on the 17 inch rim to match. Check other threads/posts for this information.

Other options include finding full size Mazda alloy rims at local junkyard. Check for damage, bent, cracked, etc.

Mazda were hard to come by in my area so went to local junkyard and looked over Kia rims, found a Kia Sorento 17 inch rim(only one very small scratch) for $100 which almost matches the BBS 17 incher's on my cx5.

Kia Sorento wheels, depending on year, match 2018 Mazda cx5 oem in bore 67.1, pcd 5x 114.3, and offset is similar with Mazda @ 45, Kia @ 47.

Again, do your own research and decide what's best for you.

Certain model and year Mazda, Kia and Hyundai are most likely to fit with Kia and Hyundai wheels plentiful. These sites have been mentioned on other threads, but check Home - Wheelfitment.eu - PCD, Offset, Center Bore, mounting and tire size data, www.wheel-size.com, www.willtheyfit.com, and www.tiresize.com.

if buying from junkyard, check for bent and cracked alloy rims before purchase. If buying from eBay, buyer beware and make sure there is a solid refund policy. At least at local junkyards, you can inspect before you buy.
I did get the BBS rims on eBay but met seller in person and inspected the rims prior to taking receipt. Had local tire shop spin balance immediately to ensure no problems that were unseen.

If getting a steel mini-spare rims, don't buy locally if rusted(it's too much of hassle to de-rust & repaint), instead try to get larger Mazda mini-spare(kept in trunk) or get newer Kia Sorento mini-spare(165 90r17 but stored under frame). For the Kia mini-spare, Buy it from non rust-belt states that have snow free, salt free roads & pay for the shipping. Paying $150 for mini-spare and shipping is better than paying $50 for rusted mini-spare that needs refurbished. Unless you have the time to clean it up. The bose speaker does fit inside the Kia Sorento mini-spare.

Again do your own research or double-check the research on this and the other different threads and decide what's best for you.

If you don't want bothered with the above, have the $$ and want brand new rim and the 100% security of knowing it's undamaged then it sounds like this Rocky mountain Mazda might have the best prices on new rims.

Last edited:
I am going to get a full sized spare wheel as the donut is pretty pathetic and unsafe to use, especially on the front tires and highway speeds. Did some research and there are less expensive Chinese knock-offs than OEM Mazda but I decided that Bam Wholesale had the best pricing for a 17" OEM rim, with TPMS, for around $400. I already have the full sized tire that I will mount to the rim and keep it as a full sized spare.

I do realize it will not fit as nicely in the spare compartment but will use it on long road trips or when towing my trailer. Can't risk being stranded with a factory dink donut.

I believe you’re talking about getting an alloy wheel for the price over $300? I personally would get a much cheaper steel wheel if I really prefer a full-size spare. I went much cheaper way getting a used T155/90D18 103M compact spare from a 2015 Mazda CX-9 which has the same outer diameter as the road tires. And this’s the spare tire size listed on Mazda’s specs for CX-5 AWD on Mazda’s website in early days.
Yes used some of your ideas to help with mini-spare.

And for others...
Not to mention other deals to be had... I got BBS wheels in pristine condition with Nokian tires attached for $125 apiece. And got a Kia full size rim (with barley a scratch on it and no cracks) at junkyard to use as spare for $100. But I met the eBay seller to verify no damage and went to junkyard and looked over the merchandise and picked what I wanted. You can get good deals if you don't blindly order of the internet.

Back