2022 CX-5?

View attachment 302943

This is the Nissan product I was thinking of.
Actually, that looks to me more like that jelly bean rendering of the next CX-5 floating around awhile back that evidently and mercifully will not be in the cards.

I fail to see the resemblance with that CX-50 rendering. It is pretty evident that the distinguishing "couple-like" characteristic of that CX-50 rendering is the length of the engine compartment relative to the overall length of the car while that Infiniti's hood is more down-sloping into a noticeably rounded off nose giving it the jelly bean look.

By the way, how old is that Infiniti model? The current Infinitis seen in profile look to have ditched the jelly bean front end:

That QX55 would be a closer comparable but again lacking the elongated hood.

The Infiniti above started out as a EX 35 which later became the EX 37 and QX 50. It lived from model years 2008 all the way through 2015 IIRC. Basically the hatchback version of my V36 '07 G35x.

cx5-comparison.jpg
pretty mild exterior refresh. i dont think they even changed the fenders. just the plastic bits and lights.

I saw an article this morning about this refresh for 22. Makes no sense to me. Why would they spend money retooling parts for a model which will be replaced in a year? I am not seeing fog lights in the refresh. Maybe it is a Sport model...

Here is the rear:

1631401290736.png

The Infiniti above started out as a EX 35 which later became the EX 37 and QX 50. It lived from model years 2008 all the way through 2015 IIRC. Basically the hatchback version of my V36 '07 G35x.
Though that doesn't answer the question with specificity, shall we say jelly bean styling has fallen out of fashion and leave it at that.

I saw an article this morning about this refresh for 22. Makes no sense to me. Why would they spend money retooling parts for a model which will be replaced in a year? I am not seeing fog lights in the refresh. Maybe it is a Sport model...

Based on the comments from Mazda the new FWD CUV that is coming later this year will be based on the new platform that the mazda3/CX30 is using. I don’t know if that is the CX5 or something else but that would suggest a major update. This might be a vehicle destined only for the US/Canada market since it would be built in Alabama.

Subsequently, the company has moved from the "MAZDA3" announced in 2018 to the "Sky Active Technology Phase 2", and has evolved into an architecture that enables multi-solutions for EVs. In the small group of "MAZDA3", "CX-30" and "MX-30", we have built a system that can support 48V mild hybrid, EV, hybrid with a rotary engine as a generator, and plug-in hybrid. The "new SUV," which is scheduled to be produced at the Alabama plant, is also being prepared with this (engine) transverse multi-solution architecture.

It would be interesting to know how long this “refresh” is intended to hold the fort for the CX-5. Although not big changes, it’s unusual for a model at the end of its run to get any significant changes…maybe a new color etc.
It’s possible that the rumor that that the CX-5 and CX-50 will run in tandem for a couple of years or more is true and that this is the “new” CX-5.
Also…If production on 2021 ended in August and this revised 2022 won’t be available until into the new year, inventory is going to get very scarce.

All I see is Nissan in that rendering.
Specifically an Infiniti QX30 in my opinion. They're looking to target the same "upscale" customers that Infiniti's aging and slow selling lineup is losing to the Germans.

Specifically an Infiniti QX30 in my opinion. They're looking to target the same "upscale" customers that Infiniti's aging and slow selling lineup is losing to the Germans.

I was pushing the QX50 on my wife - wanted to try something new. The car was loud, rough, had a CVT transmission and was close 10K over a CX-5. The seats were good but the dash and all the interior stuff felt cheap. Not sure why anybody would buy that car.

Looking at it again, I'm not a fan of the lower plastic trim on the front bumper, it makes that area look upturned and awkward. I think the only reason to buy this would be the head/taillight design and the interior changes (hopefully its more than just more comfortable seats).

I think they'll squeeze a year or two out of this facelift. Wonder what they'll do after that.

This new look, IMHO, is a step backward.

The fog lights are now integrated into the headlights.
A new trend.

Bottom of the front bumper of 2022 CX-5 the bottom lip looks way too Toyota RAV4 too me and not Mazda at all. I don't like this 2022 CX-5 at all. The current 2017-2021 look way better then this. Even the 2016 Mazda cx-5 look better then this. The headlights to me on the 2022 CX-5 look ugly.

This new look, IMHO, is a step backward.

The fog lights are now integrated into the headlights.
A new trend.
They started integrating the fogs into the headlights with the 2018 Mazda6 redesign. However that feature never made it into US models, so the 6 just went without fog lights. The new Mazda3 and CX-30 don't have fog lights either

It’s possible that the rumor that that the CX-5 and CX-50 will run in tandem for a couple of years or more is true and that this is the “new” CX-5.
It's no so much a rumor as a logical conclusion.

I would expect CX-5 and CX-50 to run in tandem for years to come for several reasons. CX-50 is stated to be an entry in the "premium" class, CX-5 is their meat and potatoes. Take CX-5 away and you are dumping more than 1/2 of Mazda's US sales, not something a premium class vehicle, particularly a RWD vehicle, is going to replace.

And without that CX-5 there is no stepping stone from a 3 or a CX-30 to CX-50 for aspirational buyers as they age and earn more money. How many Lexus RX 350 buyers started out with a Corolla, Camry or a used RAV4 as their first car and eventually earned their way up through the Toyota lineup? Quite a few I'd suspect. Brand loyalty--priceless--captured at an early age which then requires stepping stones. You might also view this CX-50 as a step up from those Miata third cars for summer run arounds.

What would the next generation CX-5 look like and when? Who know. Maybe they borrow the large architecture chassis for 5" more interior length instead of putting those inches into the CX-50 coupe-like exterior, maybe using new 4 cyl. configurations--the bleeding edge sparkless petrol esign and/or hybrid. Electrification? Add an 8-speed? Do a little sheet metal re-sculpting with that added length and add some exterior geegaws? Add Lane Centering or whatever the next gadget happens to come down the pike. Regardless, I would view discontinuing the CX-5 a shocker that would be hard to explain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bottom of the front bumper of 2022 CX-5 the bottom lip looks way too Toyota RAV4 too me and not Mazda at all. I don't like this 2022 CX-5 at all. The current 2017-2021 look way better then this. Even the 2016 Mazda cx-5 look better then this. The headlights to me on the 2022 CX-5 look ugly.
I read that the 2022 CX-5 model line would divide into two. The lower level models would go for “rugged” and the upper levels, presumably GT and Signature would be “sport”. I’ve seen at least two photos of the 2022. One (as in my post #91) with very basic wheels and another with what seemed like fancier larger wheels. The SUV was an off-white but didn’t look any “sportier”, other than the wheels. Anyone else able to expand on this?
ps. Wonder if I should try to get the 2021.5 (here in Canada)? I don’t like this 2022 but who knows if it’s the final product we’ll see.

Guys brace yourself this is the new cx-5, that will be around for sometime. The SUV we been seeing covered is very likely a brand new model likely CX-50. It looks a lot bigger than the cx-5.

CX5 will carry on with small changes.
CX5 is too important for Mazda to mess around.

CX-50 will be one-size up (~8 inches longer, and a few inches lower) on new platform
(RWD/AWD, 8-speed, inline-6, mild 48V hybrid, etc.),
shared with next Mazda6/a next-gen Lexus mid-size sedan.

Guys brace yourself this is the new cx-5, that will be around for sometime. The SUV we been seeing covered is very likely a brand new model likely CX-50. It looks a lot bigger than the cx-5.
It will be interesting to see if the camouflaged Mazda is the CX-50 or rumoured CX-7/70 (Japanese CX-8). Some observers think it’s a larger FWD-based vehicle.

Back