2021 CX-5 FOB

Hi All, I'm new to this forum. In fact, I've owned my 2021 CX-5 for less than 24 hours. In that span, my fob has accidentally opened my rear hatch three times. Twice while at home (including open overnight), and once while I was shopping. Is there an aftermarket option for the FOB? Does Mazda know how bad this is? I really love my new vehicle, and bought one because my mother in law has a 2019 CX-9. Her FOB is different and significantly better.

You aren't the only one, but I don't actually know how common this is.

In many cases (not specific to Mazda), I have read that the reason the keyfobs keep doing this is because owners are unintentionally triggering the buttons. I have the older style keyfob (which others have also complained about regarding this exact issue), and I have yet to accidentally open my liftgate. I keep my keys in my pocket all day.

I believe someone has also mentioned that there could be an issue with the power liftgate module. Contact your dealer to let them know you're having issues (just to ensure they have your complaint on file). They might be able to advise further.

Before contacting the dealership, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one. In the last ten minutes I've found there are certainly others experiencing this. I would be willing to bet the problem occurs when I place the keys in my pocket, and the buttons that stick out past the case are inadvertently pressed.

I saw elsewhere on this site that there was a suggestion of getting an older fob programmed, but it was not confirmed that it would work on the 2021 CX-5. Can anyone confirm this?

Does it open the hatch if the key fob is just sitting on a table? That would be a good way to test if you're accidentally hitting it. Otherwise, some people have bought a silicone key fob cover off of Amazon that would prevent the button from being pushed as easily

I think this might be related to the new-style fob.
My '17 has the old style fob, and I never had this problem at all.
Same go for my two other Mazdas. ('16 and '14)

That's never happened to me on my 2020 with the new style fob. I'll bet it's due to the buttons being on the side and the fact that it's awfully big and could easily get squished in your pocket.

I do have different color silicon covers on all our fobs, with 4 in the house it would get really messy otherwise. That might be helping keep the side buttons from getting pressed.

2021 CX-5 for about a month and a half. Hatch has opened a few times from keys in the pocket...the bright side is the MyMazda app told me about it :)
I'm afraid to keep my keys in my pocket at home since I don't want the hatch to open into the garage door.

I actually cut the plastic tip off the inside of my liftgate button on the fob to stop this. I still sometimes hit the panic button but no harm done. Look on utube for how to change the battery on the fob and take it one more step to reach the plastic protrusion that opens the trunk. I never use it as I press the button on the liftgate or the dash to open it.

I think this might be related to the new-style fob.
My '17 has the old style fob, and I never had this problem at all.
Same go for my two other Mazdas. ('16 and '14)
‘14 and ‘16 CX-5’s don’t have the liftgate button on the key fob nor on the dash area (which I hate it).

if I remember it correctly, we started to see such complaint of this mysterious problem since Mazda introduced the power liftgate in 2017 CX-5 and added a button to the key fob and the dash area. So IMO the problem is not from the new style of the key fob.

Strangely I haven’t experienced such problem on all the vehicles I’ve owned with liftgate or trunk button on the fob and the dash area,

Try using a silicone sleeve so that the buttons are recessed.

1626443578813.png

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

If there are keys and/or other things like a bottle opener, knife, tag, etc. on the fob key ring, just kneeling down to tie your shoes can make these things press against any button! I've had the panic button activated a few times on previous vehicles...Didn't happen yet on my 8 month old CX-5.

Thank you all for your suggestions. It's still happening, on the daily. I'm certain the cause is from keeping the keys in my pocket. I'm REALLY trying to avoid adding a cover to the FOB. I think it's bulky enough already... but... sadly it looks like that might be the only option.

Thank you all for your suggestions. It's still happening, on the daily. I'm certain the cause is from keeping the keys in my pocket. I'm REALLY trying to avoid adding a cover to the FOB. I think it's bulky enough already... but... sadly it looks like that might be the only option.
I’d suggest you and all others with the same problem contact Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations to express your concern of such problem. The more people complain, the faster the Mazda will look into this design flaw. People have been having their liftgate to open unintentionally into the garage door ($$$)!

I have a new 2021 cx-5 GTR and the FOB hatch button most certainly opens the hatch while all other doors are locked. I've confirmed that each week at the grocery store since I bought my cx-5.

My issue with the 2021 key fob is the size. I have a 2016 and the fob is perfect. Why did they go with this monster? The range also stinks, I cannot hit the panic mode to find my car.

The market trend is to do away with the fob and give the customer a phone app option. Anyone know of a way to use a smaller fob?

My issue with the 2021 key fob is the size. I have a 2016 and the fob is perfect. Why did they go with this monster? The range also stinks, I cannot hit the panic mode to find my car.

The market trend is to do away with the fob and give the customer a phone app option. Anyone know of a way to use a smaller fob?

Do a forum search for "smaller fob", and you'll find a few related threads.

The FOB is very likely my most unfavorite part of the car. I'd much rather have a key I could replace for a couple bucks than a FOB.

Back