Stock Tire Life

This morning, I rotated the stock Toyo A36 tires on my '20 CX-5 Signature for the first time at 8,022 miles. The tread depth started at 10/32". The fronts had 6/32". The rears had 9/32".

Based on a minimum required tread depth of 2/32" in Texas, I used half of the front's legal life in 8,000 miles.

If I rotate every 7,500 as suggested, the front tires will be slick at 22,500 miles and the rears will be down to 4/32".

If I rotate more frequently, I might be able to squeeze 25,000 out of them before they'll no longer pass inspection, but they'll become unsafe in the rain long before that. Wow.

I suspect the root cause is a heavy foot, 320 ft-lb of low-RPM torque, and an AWD system that can't send as much power to the rear wheels as the iVTM-4 system in my previous Hondas which wore tires much more evenly and less aggressively. :)

what was your tire pressure for those 8k miles? how much weight do you usually carry? you might want to try going up 2-3 psi on the fronts

Tire wear seems about right.
Those are soft compound and also wear faster. i.e generally 25 to 30k, rarely above 30k and they are out.

This morning, I rotated the stock Toyo A36 tires on my '20 CX-5 Signature for the first time at 8,022 miles. The tread depth started at 10/32". The fronts had 6/32". The rears had 9/32".

Based on a minimum required tread depth of 2/32" in Texas, I used half of the front's legal life in 8,000 miles.

If I rotate every 7,500 as suggested, the front tires will be slick at 22,500 miles and the rears will be down to 4/32".
you may just have to rotate tires more often.

If I rotate more frequently, I might be able to squeeze 25,000 out of them before they'll no longer pass inspection, but they'll become unsafe in the rain long before that. Wow.
If we rotate tires more often, we’ll get more miles out of them. In fact, Mazda recommends 5,000-mile tire rotation interval for gen-1 CX-5 including my 2016 MY instead of 7,500 miles.

I suspect the root cause is a heavy foot, 320 ft-lb of low-RPM torque, and an AWD system that can't send as much power to the rear wheels as the iVTM-4 system in my previous Hondas which wore tires much more evenly and less aggressively. :)
Looks like this should be the case. I have 2.5L AWD and my Toyo A23’s currently have 42K miles with 3/32” tread depth left. I rotate tires at 5K interval per recommendation.

35 PSI as specified by Mazda

150 lbs. (me)

The wear was even across the width of the tires. Why would I want to overinflate them and wear out the center faster? :)

going up 2 psi on the fronts will help tread wear without hurting even wear

How so?
To me, factory recommended tire pressure is based on factory tires. Once you switched tire brand, new tires may have different characteristics than the factory ones, and may need different tire pressure to get the optimal performance. From my experience the factory recommended cold tire pressures seem to be too low most of time unless they list several recommended tire pressures based on the load and speed found on many European cars. An extreme case is my 1998 Honda CR-V where 26 is the recommended tire pressure, but I have to use 35 psi to get good performance and even wear on General AltiMAX RT43 tires it uses. On my 2016 CX-5 GT AWD, I’ve been using 39.5 psi on my 225/55R19 Toyo A23 factory tires over recommended 36 psi, and getting the even wear across the width of all tires. All tires currently have 3/32” tread depth left at 42,060 miles with 5K-mile tire rotation interval. And I believe dunhillmc’s suggestion is legit, at least it won’t hurt the even wear on your A36 tires.

I should have checked the tread depth and rotated the tires sooner instead of ASSuming tire wear would be similar to my AWD Hondas. :)

Given the frequency at which I trade, I'm unlikely to own the CX-5 by the time it needs tires. Mostly, I was just caught off guard by how quickly the front tires are wearing.

what was your tire pressure for those 8k miles? how much weight do you usually carry? you might want to try going up 2-3 psi on the fronts
If they've worn evenly across the tread, sounds like you could go another 8K to get to 5/32 at that point they are all even, might as well leave them where they are at for another 4K which gets you 3/32 in the front and 4.5/32 in the back. Do your final rotation and start shopping for tires.

So one rotation at 20K miles on the car and final at 4K more gets you to 24K total miles down to 2/32" tread.

BTW, nice video, I just noticed that. I wish my garage were that open and neat. In the next few days I'll be doing similar, swapping on the winter wheels, replacing the brake fluid, and swapping rotors and pads on at least the rear, maybe all 4 depending on how I'm feeling and how much time I have. I got all the parts, but noticed the OEM front pads still have a lot of meat. I'm at about 35K miles, still good tread on OEM tires, but there's probably 8-10K of that done on the winter tires instead. I only rotate during the seasonal swap. I don't necessarily want to get every last mile out of the all seasons, and I won't put enough mileage on the winter tires to wear them out before they should probably be replaced due to age.

Just curious, which method (or tools) do you use to replace the brake fluid? I stilly use old-fashioned 2-man pumping the brake pedal method but that requires my wife is in a good mood ⋯ ;)
I'm going to do the 1-person pump with tube submerged in elevated bottle of brake fluid. With my previous cars I've used speed-bleeder nipples that had a check valve in each, but they don't seem to have them to fit the CX-5.

I have a bluetooth camera I'll set up so I can watch from the driver's seat, so I should be able to see if there are bubbles and when the fluid runs clear.

My wife helped once or twice, maybe on her car. There are enough variables in planning to execute the job, now I know better than to count on asking for that help. Maybe my daughter will help when she's a little older.

UTQG treadwear ratings are a rule of thumb to be used in the absence of other information but they can be misleading. These ratings are determined by the manufacturer and are not confirmed by any governmental testing. It is self-regulated in essense and there can be wide disparities between the treadwear rating and real world experience.

Consumer Reports, for example, tests tires for about 15,000 miles over real world roads and then projects an expected lifespan. For example, the 245/60R18 Michelin CrossClimate SUV with a treadwear rating of 680 and a treadwear warranty of 50,000 miles tested out as a 40,000 mile tire. The 245/60R18 Continental CrossContact LX25 with a treadwear rating of 740 and a treadwear warranty of 70,000 miles tested out as an 85,000 mile tire. Individual experiences will vary base on driving style, road conditions and other factors.

It's funny (or not) how many of the asphalt roads in Florida where I spend a couple of months every winter are oddly coarse. Evidently crushed sea shells are in the mix. In any case, a local Toyota service manager told me they often see OEM tires shot in the 20's of thousands of miles which I would attribute to the road surfaces.

If treadwear is a priority it's probably best to look for some independent testing beyond the treadwear rating.
Hello from your South Florida CX-5 owner. You could not have been more correct about our roads. They are brutal on tires! In my opinion we don't get anywhere near the mileage rating on our tires. I bought our CX-5 with 24k on it and they had already put brand new tires on it.

I live in CAPE CORAL FL, Many roads are call shell roads and that's why the name of the town is cape CORAL. Ed

Just curious, which method (or tools) do you use to replace the brake fluid? I stilly use old-fashioned 2-man pumping the brake pedal method but that requires my wife is in a good mood ⋯ ;)

Setup:
20201229_134946_HDR.jpg

Bluetooth Camera View:
1610051688043.png

I suspect this has been asked before and I apologize if is a repeat question but what kind of tire life are people getting from the initial set of stock tires?
I'm at 51,000 on my original 7 year old tires. 2015 Touring CX-5. They have been garaged half their life and out in the LA sun the other half. I noticed 3 out the 4 tires have that tire tab smooth now so ill replace them finally since I want to do a road trip. otherwise I'd keep them going for another year.

Any recommendations for tires? Sunny climate and I drive 50k miles in 7 years so dont care for the long mileage tires as they'll probably crack before I can hit the the 100k miles or whatever the warranty is. Also prefer quieter tires than the ones that came with the car. I guess Geo is the name.

I'm at 51,000 on my original 7 year old tires. 2015 Touring CX-5. They have been garaged half their life and out in the LA sun the other half. I noticed 3 out the 4 tires have that tire tab smooth now so ill replace them finally since I want to do a road trip. otherwise I'd keep them going for another year.

Any recommendations for tires? Sunny climate and I drive 50k miles in 7 years so dont care for the long mileage tires as they'll probably crack before I can hit the the 100k miles or whatever the warranty is. Also prefer quieter tires than the ones that came with the car. I guess Geo is the name.
For 225/65R17 tires on your 2015 CX-5 Touring, here is a partial list of comparison table here:

225/65R17 Comparison Table

For 225/55R19, plenty of info here:

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

These 2 tables are a bit outdated. Personally, I’d choose either General AltiMAX RT43 (H-rated for 225/65R17 102H, NOT T-rated!) or
Continental CrossContact
LX25 based on my personal experience and many reviews by members.

Tire Recommendations?

Continental CrossContact LX25 vs Michelin CrossClimate SUV (17 inch)?

Continental Crosscontact LX25 Tires

Continental and General tires are from the same tire company, and you can wait for $70 Visa gift card offer if you’re not in the hurry.

Last edited:
For 225/65R17 tires on your 2015 CX-5 Touring, here is a partial list of comparison table here:

225/65R17 Comparison Table

For 225/55R19, plenty of info here:

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

These 2 tables are a bit outdated. Personally, I’d choose either General AltiMAX RT43 (H-rated for 225/55R17, NOT T-rated!) or
Continental CrossContact
LX25 based on my personal experience and many reviews by members.

Tire Recommendations?

Continental CrossContact LX25 vs Michelin CrossClimate SUV (17 inch)?

Continental Crosscontact LX25 Tires

Continental and General tires are from the same tire company, and you can wait for $70 Visa gift card offer if you’re not in the hurry.
I noticed American Tire Depot has a deal now for buy 3 get 1 free tires and the Generals H come out to being $87 with a $50 General mail in rebate. Is this a good deal? Total service ends up $560 plus the $50 mail in rebate. Im new to swapping tires so any advice would be appreciated.

I noticed American Tire Depot has a deal now for buy 3 get 1 free tires and the Generals H come out to being $87 with a $50 General mail in rebate. Is this a good deal? Total service ends up $560 plus the $50 mail in rebate. Im new to swapping tires so any advice would be appreciated.
Not sure if American Tire Depot is related to America’s Tire Store, but you’re in LA and you should be able to find an America’s Tire Store (Discount Tire Store in other states) near by. America’s Tire Store or Discount Tire Store usually will do price-match, and I’ve always been getting tires from Discount Tire since they have excellent Hunter tire installation machine with nation-wide network for free flat repair、tire balancing and rotation、and other tire services. $87 per tire for General AltiMAX RT43 225/65R17 102H is an unbelievable price, but the total out-of-door price $560 before tax doesn’t add up. $560 - ($87 X 4) = $212; $53 per tire which covers valve stems、installation、or some road hazard warranty is outrageous to me. Here’s price structure on Discount Tire in my area and the America’s Tire in your area should be similar. You can go to America’s Tire / Discount Tire website to get price info before you go to a local America’s Tire Store and do the price-match on a total out-of-door price.

48C8D7AC-EBD6-47F4-809C-0E400375A653.png

The $50 Visa prepaid card on purchasing General AltiMAX RT43 tires between 3/1/2021 ~ 4/30/2021 is a manufacture rebate. You can get this rebate when you buy General tires from any tire stores.

GET UP TO A $70 VISA® PREPAID CARD With the purchase of 4 qualifying passenger General Tires

Last edited:
Back