Show me your CX-5 wheels

I've started deleting the chrome on ours...grille piece and lower bumper trim piece done so far. I have a buddy that owns a wrapping company, going to have him do the window trim and roof rails. Definitely makes it standout from the growing number of CX5's in our area! I also have 20" TSW's!! Coilovers will complete the project...
20180916-150500.jpg

20180622-074520.jpg
Hi! @wrxray Wanting to do the same with my 2020 CX-5 but I’m having trouble finding a black grille trim piece that doesn’t have that noticeable gap in the middle :( just double checking that you got yours wrapped black? Or do you have a clip on piece? :)

I like to hit curbs too. Tires are good feelers, and should be proud of the wheels as far as I'm concerned :)
So I dovetail this comment with my question - Nothing available in OEM size 19x7 rims, and I know that 19x8 is a good fit for the standard 19/55/225, but will 19x8's make curb rash more likely if I'm keeping my OEM tires?

So I dovetail this comment with my question - Nothing available in OEM size 19x7 rims, and I know that 19x8 is a good fit for the standard 19/55/225, but will 19x8's make curb rash more likely if I'm keeping my OEM tires?
Yes. If the tire stretches past the lip of the wheel, the wheel will rub on the curb before tire.

I recently purchased a 2017 CX-5 Touring. I am not a "car guy" by any means and after scrolling these pages for the last two weeks my head is spinning trying to learn sizes, offsets, spacers, etc. I want to get rid of the stock 17's but I'm not sure which direction to take. A guy posted way back in 2017 (page 70 of this thread) about putting 265/50R19 tires on his 2016.5 GT. I like the look and the fact that I wouldn't have to lower the vehicle. If I were to go this route I would need to purchase 19 wheels and I would like them flush. Would that be 19x8.5 at what offset? Any help and or advice is appreciated. There are some beautiful rides in this thread.

Trav

I recently purchased a 2017 CX-5 Touring. I am not a "car guy" by any means and after scrolling these pages for the last two weeks my head is spinning trying to learn sizes, offsets, spacers, etc. I want to get rid of the stock 17's but I'm not sure which direction to take. A guy posted way back in 2017 (page 70 of this thread) about putting 265/50R19 tires on his 2016.5 GT. I like the look and the fact that I wouldn't have to lower the vehicle. If I were to go this route I would need to purchase 19 wheels and I would like them flush. Would that be 19x8.5 at what offset? Any help and or advice is appreciated. There are some beautiful rides in this thread.

Trav

Ok so it looks like the wheel setup on page 70 you're talking about is running the 19" 2017 Mazda6 OEM wheels with 265/50/19 tires. I did a quick Google search and it looks like those OEM wheels are 19x7.5 with a 45mm offset.

Keep in mind that his car is a 2016.5 and yours is a 2017 - the 2017 is a 2nd gen, while the 2016.5 is a 1st gen. That said, what you can do is figure out what your OEM wheel and tire specs are, then plug them in to a wheel size calculator. I personally use willtheyfit.com. Input the current wheel specs you have, then input the wheel specs you're thinking of swapping to. It will tell you how the planned setup differs from the existing setup. For example:

index.php

Using this info, you can visualize how flush the new wheels will be compared to the existing wheels. In addition, you can take a photo of your existing inner rim to suspension clearance to see if you'll have any issues there as well (example shown below).

index.php

I.e. the above is my summer wheel setup on my CX-9, which has 10.5 wide wheels with a +30 offset. If I wanted to go to a 14.5" wide wheel with the same offset, it would not clear the suspension because the inner rim would be 2" closer to the suspension.

Ok so it looks like the wheel setup on page 70 you're talking about is running the 19" 2017 Mazda6 OEM wheels with 265/50/19 tires. I did a quick Google search and it looks like those OEM wheels are 19x7.5 with a 45mm offset.

Keep in mind that his car is a 2016.5 and yours is a 2017 - the 2017 is a 2nd gen, while the 2016.5 is a 1st gen. That said, what you can do is figure out what your OEM wheel and tire specs are, then plug them in to a wheel size calculator. I personally use willtheyfit.com. Input the current wheel specs you have, then input the wheel specs you're thinking of swapping to. It will tell you how the planned setup differs from the existing setup. For example:

index.php

Using this info, you can visualize how flush the new wheels will be compared to the existing wheels. In addition, you can take a photo of your existing inner rim to suspension clearance to see if you'll have any issues there as well (example shown below).

index.php

I.e. the above is my summer wheel setup on my CX-9, which has 10.5 wide wheels with a +30 offset. If I wanted to go to a 14.5" wide wheel with the same offset, it would not clear the suspension because the inner rim would be 2" closer to the suspension.
Man, I really appreciate the response. I went to the site suggested and hopefully typed the correct information. Here are the results:
Existing
New

Diameter
724.3mm
747.6mm
Circumference
2275.5mm
2348.7mm
Poke
43.9mm
50.3mm
Inset
133.9mm
140.3mm
Speedo error
0%
-3.12%
Reading at 30mph
30mph
29.07mph
Reading at 60mph
60mph
58.13mph
Ride height gain
0mm
11.65mm
Arch gap loss
0mm
11.65mm

Compared to your existing wheel, this new wheel will have an inner rim which is 6.4mm closer to the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 6.4mm more than before.

6.4mm closer to the strut should be okay, but if one of the 2nd gen CX-5 gents could confirm, that would be great.

Referencing @lowincash's wheel setup (Enkei TY-5, 19x8" wide and 45 offset) and using the tire calculator, it looks like your new setup should be at least 0.5" wider, OR have an offset of 5-7mm less than the specs of the "new" wheels you used in your post above. Instead of 6.4mm poke, you want closer to 12mm poke. This assumes you want a look similar to @lowincash's setup, which I would say is pretty flush.

6.4mm closer to the strut should be okay, but if one of the 2nd gen CX-5 gents could confirm, that would be great.

Referencing @lowincash's wheel setup (Enkei TY-5, 19x8" wide and 45 offset) and using the tire calculator, it looks like your new setup should be at least 0.5" wider, OR have an offset of 5-7mm less than the specs of the "new" wheels you used in your post above. Instead of 6.4mm poke, you want closer to 12mm poke. This assumes you want a look similar to @lowincash's setup, which I would say is pretty flush.
Ok, I think I used 19x7.5 in the specs above. When I do the calcs with 19x8 wheels and 45 offset it says "Compared to your existing wheel, this new wheel will have an inner rim which is 12.7mm closer to the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 12.7mm more than before."
I'll keep searching to see if anyone has successfully installed this setup on a 2nd gen. Thanks for all of your time and advice, much appreciated.

Ok, I think I used 19x7.5 in the specs above. When I do the calcs with 19x8 wheels and 45 offset it says "Compared to your existing wheel, this new wheel will have an inner rim which is 12.7mm closer to the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 12.7mm more than before."
I'll keep searching to see if anyone has successfully installed this setup on a 2nd gen. Thanks for all of your time and advice, much appreciated.

19x8 or 18x8 ET45 will work on the 2nd gen. I have 18x8 ET45 wheels, with 225/60-18 winter tires, and they fit. Close to the suspension (you can still fit a palm in between), but it fits.

My summer setup will be 18x8 ET45 with 245/55-18 tires, and I'm confident that will fit too.

Attachments

• IMG_2839.JPG
    IMG_2839.JPG
    515.2 KB · Views: 407
Why are all of the pictures with the car blocking other people's space? Is it like the dripping caramel, jam, or sauce in food pics?

Probably (meaning it's just for presentation). I'm sure @zolo0727 doesn't actually park the car like that 😁

Hey Gang,

New to the forum as I just picked up this 2019 Grand Touring Reserve in January. I love this car so much, the only thing that I did not love was the "twisty" style 19's with the narrower 225 tire. I went ahead and ordered the M011 wheels from Canada along with 245 / 50 Continental DWS06 tires. When I got them they were dark gunmetal and out of the box I loved them. However after putting them on my Jet Black Mica CX5 they were too dark personally for my taste. A friend of my has a wheel repair shop so we powder coated them Prismatic BMW Silver which I think gives a nice contrast off the black paint. You can see this in the image.

Fast forward about 4 weeks and the same friend gifted me a set of TSW Mallory's that a customer didn't want and left them at his shop. They were black, but we powder coated them in the same BMW Silver. The TSWs are much lighter than the M011 by about 5 lbs each. The one thing that I did notice is while handling and acceleration are better on the TSWs I can definitely feel way more bumps in the road almost as if I went up to a larger rim with a shorter sidewall, but the wheel is a 19 with the same tires that I had paired with the M011 wheels.

Has anyone ever experienced feeling more bumps in the road going perhaps from a heavier wheel to a lighter wheel and keeping the same tire? Handling is definitely better, and I guess that's a tradeoff, but wanted to get some opinions. I am thinking that if I can't get over the harsher ride, I might sell the TSWs since they didn't cost me anything, unless there is something else that I can do to alleviate the change in ride quality.

Looking forward to being part of the forum. Excuse the dirty ass car. It's snowing here in Maryland and I'll get some cleaned up pics.

Mazda CX-5 with M011.jpg

Mazda CX-5 TSW Mallory.jpg

Hey Gang,

New to the forum as I just picked up this 2019 Grand Touring Reserve in January. I love this car so much, the only thing that I did not love was the "twisty" style 19's with the narrower 225 tire. I went ahead and ordered the M011 wheels from Canada along with 245 / 50 Continental DWS06 tires. When I got them they were dark gunmetal and out of the box I loved them. However after putting them on my Jet Black Mica CX5 they were too dark personally for my taste. A friend of my has a wheel repair shop so we powder coated them Prismatic BMW Silver which I think gives a nice contrast off the black paint. You can see this in the image.

Fast forward about 4 weeks and the same friend gifted me a set of TSW Mallory's that a customer didn't want and left them at his shop. They were black, but we powder coated them in the same BMW Silver. The TSWs are much lighter than the M011 by about 5 lbs each. The one thing that I did notice is while handling and acceleration are better on the TSWs I can definitely feel way more bumps in the road almost as if I went up to a larger rim with a shorter sidewall, but the wheel is a 19 with the same tires that I had paired with the M011 wheels.

Has anyone ever experienced feeling more bumps in the road going perhaps from a heavier wheel to a lighter wheel and keeping the same tire? Handling is definitely better, and I guess that's a tradeoff, but wanted to get some opinions. I am thinking that if I can't get over the harsher ride, I might sell the TSWs since they didn't cost me anything, unless there is something else that I can do to alleviate the change in ride quality.

Looking forward to being part of the forum. Excuse the dirty ass car. It's snowing here in Maryland and I'll get some cleaned up pics.

View attachment 295959
View attachment 295960
M011 wheels look better in my opinion. The harsher ride has always been a trade off with sharper steering, when going with a wider tire in my expierence with previous vehicles. I'd be curious if you notice a gas mileage difference with the heavier wheels, 5lbs. sound like a lot when talking about rotational mass. BTW hold onto that friend that will gift you a set of perfectly fine TSW wheels, always good to have a friend in a wheel repair shop. Congrats on the car also, looks great with whatever wheels you choose!

M011 wheels look better in my opinion. The harsher ride has always been a trade off with sharper steering, when going with a wider tire in my expierence with previous vehicles. I'd be curious if you notice a gas mileage difference with the heavier wheels, 5lbs. sound like a lot when talking about rotational mass. BTW hold onto that friend that will gift you a set of perfectly fine TSW wheels, always good to have a friend in a wheel repair shop. Congrats on the car also, looks great with whatever wheels you choose!
Hey integ3,

Thank you for your opinion and response on this. I like both wheels, and like I said the M011 in the gunmetal was beautiful, it's just that when I put it on the black car, they just looked too dark, not quite the look I was going for and I think the silver actually shows off the lines and details of the wheels nicely. I am not 100% sure about the look of the TSWs myself yet, so we'll see what happens — especially if I can't get used to the ride difference. I think it has a little bit more of euro vibe maybe with the TSWs. The friend I am referring to is a childhood friend so we go way back. Definitely a good friend to have.

TSW lists that wheel at 25 lbs, and I think the UPS listing for each box of the M011was like 31.6 lbs, so I'd guess they are about 30 lbs minus the box and packaging. Both wheels are 8" wide, an I am using the same tires on both. The TSW is a 40 offset, where the M011 is a 45. I didn't notice any ride quality difference from the stock wheels to the M011 so this is only with the TSWs. Wasn't sure if the weight is the difference, material of wheels, or possibly the design even — 15 slimmer spokes vs 10 chunkier spokes. I suppose there are many variables at play.

Hey integ3,

Thank you for your opinion and response on this. I like both wheels, and like I said the M011 in the gunmetal was beautiful, it's just that when I put it on the black car, they just looked too dark, not quite the look I was going for and I think the silver actually shows off the lines and details of the wheels nicely. I am not 100% sure about the look of the TSWs myself yet, so we'll see what happens — especially if I can't get used to the ride difference. I think it has a little bit more of euro vibe maybe with the TSWs. The friend I am referring to is a childhood friend so we go way back. Definitely a good friend to have.

TSW lists that wheel at 25 lbs, and I think the UPS listing for each box of the M011was like 31.6 lbs, so I'd guess they are about 30 lbs minus the box and packaging. Both wheels are 8" wide, an I am using the same tires on both. The TSW is a 40 offset, where the M011 is a 45. I didn't notice any ride quality difference from the stock wheels to the M011 so this is only with the TSWs.
I 100% agree on the color choice, I have always been a believer that the wheels should contrast the color of the vehicle, if you had a white or silver CX-5 maybe the gunmetal would have been better. But the silver looks great on your black one! Another few things to consider might be cleaning those TSW wheels might be more of a pain in the butt compared to the M011 wheels. Also that slight difference in offset might give the wheel and tire more of a flush look when looking down the side of the vehicle, but 5MM is not that drastic of a difference.

I 100% agree on the color choice, I have always been a believer that the wheels should contrast the color of the vehicle, if you had a white or silver CX-5 maybe the gunmetal would have been better. But the silver looks great on your black one! Another few things to consider might be cleaning those TSW wheels might be more of a pain in the butt compared to the M011 wheels. Also that slight difference in offset might give the wheel and tire more of a flush look when looking down the side of the vehicle, but 5MM is not that drastic of a difference.
Because there aren't a lot of Jet Black Micas in this thread, and the M011 is a popular wheel choice, I am also posting a lateral shot of the M011 here on black before I powder coated them silver. This is the original gun metal color on Jet Black Mica.

Mazda CX-5 with Gray M011.jpg

Why are all of the pictures with the car blocking other people's space? Is it like the dripping caramel, jam, or sauce in food pics?
Thanks for watching.
Those pictures was made on Saturday early morning in an area by the river and no one will be blocked at that moment LOL.

Back