Another question on timing my oil change

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but after reading the post history, it sounds like this decision is more art than science, which is frustrating for first-time car owners like me who are obsessive (to a fault) about doing the "right" thing.

I got a 2019 CX-5 Signature in Feb 2020.
I live in New Jersey, so presumably Schedule 2 for oil change. Short-distance city driving with lots of braking. I don't drive the car every day (usually just weekends).
I got my first oil change at 6 months and 3,700 miles.
I'm now coming up on the next 6-month mark, and car has ~7,000 miles
Flexible OCI says I have 4,000 miles left on this oil (I know I can't go longer than 12 months without a change)

So, should I trust the Flexible OCI and wait until ~12 months for my next oil change, or should I just go ahead and get the oil changed at the 6-month mark? Would warranty be impacted either way?

Appreciate any advice!

I change my oil and filter and rotate my tires every 5,000 miles. This makes it super easy to remember. Just look at the odometer, and you instantly know if you're due or not.

The first oil change is arguably the most important, so doing that one early like you did is actually kinda smart.

If you want, just do the second oil change now at 7,000, then start the every 5,000 from there on out. 10k, 15k, 20k, etc.

Also, only use Mazda oil filters. The SkyActiv engine requires a different type of anti-drainback valve then even the "regular" Mazda OEM filters. I'm not saying that other aftermarket filter manufacturers like Wix and Purolator don't know what they're doing, but because of how cheap the correct Mazda filter is, why chance it? I buy them for $6 each in packs of 6 from Quirkparts. $36 for 30,000 miles worth of filters. Not too bad!

I probably would go at the 6 month change. Then reset the OLM or go every 6,000 miles. Ed

So, should I trust the Flexible OCI and wait until ~12 months for my next oil change, or should I just go ahead and get the oil changed at the 6-month mark? Would warranty be impacted either way?

Regarding warranty - you the owner must adhere to the minimum of the maintenance schedule. You can always do it sooner and/or less mileage; but if you do it later and/or more mileage you ~could~ be at risk of pushback for warranty should there be a catastrophic engine failure. Of course always keep all your records as discussed in this thread:

oh and yes you can use the flexible OCI; that is what it is there for.

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but after reading the post history, it sounds like this decision is more art than science, which is frustrating for first-time car owners like me who are obsessive (to a fault) about doing the "right" thing.

I got a 2019 CX-5 Signature in Feb 2020.
I live in New Jersey, so presumably Schedule 2 for oil change. Short-distance city driving with lots of braking. I don't drive the car every day (usually just weekends).
I got my first oil change at 6 months and 3,700 miles.
I'm now coming up on the next 6-month mark, and car has ~7,000 miles
Flexible OCI says I have 4,000 miles left on this oil (I know I can't go longer than 12 months without a change)

Appreciate any advice!
Just so you know, Flexible oil change schedule is applicable to both Schedule 1 (normal driving conditions) and Schedule 2 (severe driving conditions). Just trust the calculation of your oil life monitor and do the oil change when the wrench indicator displayed with “Oil change due” message. The Flexible OCI is UP to 7,500 miles or 12 months whichever comes first.

Judging by 4,000 miles on your oil life remaining from Flexible oil life calculation with 3,300 miles driven (7,000 - 3,700 miles at the first oil change), the countdown miles starting from 7,500 miles after Flexible OCI reset on oil life is 3,500 miles. So this indicates your driving condition is not severe at all as the countdown miles is only 200 miles more than your actual miles driven. You should follow the Flexible OCI for the best use of oil life. Or if you prefer earlier oil change, you can change the oil earlier with 500 ~ 1,000 miles on Flexible oil life remaining.

I buy them for $6 each in packs of 6 from Quirkparts. $36 for 30,000 miles worth of filters. Not too bad!
I just checked and don't see how to get a pack of six 1WPY-14-302 to possibly qualify for the $6 price. All I see are individual filters for $7.65 each.

I just checked and don't see how to get a pack of six 1WPY-14-302 to possibly qualify for the $6 price. All I see are individual filters for $7.65 each.
Right, $46 not $36 for the SkyActiv filters. Sorry. (They are $36/6 for the LF05-14-302B for my old 3 and current 5) . Still though, $7.65 isn't really all that expensive.

Just so you know, Flexible oil change schedule is applicable to both Schedule 1 (normal driving conditions) and Schedule 2 (severe driving conditions). Just trust the calculation of your oil life monitor and do the oil change when the wrench indicator displayed with “Oil change due” message. The Flexible OCI is UP to 7,500 miles or 12 months whichever comes first.

Judging by 4,000 miles on your oil life remaining from Flexible oil life calculation with 3,300 miles driven (7,000 - 3,700 miles at the first oil change), the countdown miles starting from 7,500 miles after Flexible OCI reset on oil life is 3,500 miles. So this indicates your driving condition is not severe at all as the countdown miles is only 200 miles more than your actual miles driven. You should follow the Flexible OCI for the best use of oil life. Or if you prefer earlier oil change, you can change the oil earlier with 500 ~ 1,000 miles on Flexible oil life remaining.
This resonated with me, thank you. I also thought the same: I'm really somewhere in between Schedule 1 and Schedule 2, and that's what the Flexible OCI is for....so I turned off the maintenance monitor

This resonated with me, thank you. I also thought the same: I'm really somewhere in between Schedule 1 and Schedule 2, and that's what the Flexible OCI is for....so I turned off the maintenance monitor
??? If you think Flexible oil change schedule is useful, why did you turn off the Maintenance Monitor which has Flexible oil life monitor? :unsure:

I’m in central Jersey, I follow the flexible oil monitor. Longest I have gone was 10 months before getting an oil change, and still had 4,000 on the monitor to go, this was due to no longer having to drive to work, because of the lock down.
Just be sure to use a good synthetic oil.

??? If you think Flexible oil change schedule is useful, why did you turn off the Maintenance Monitor which has Flexible oil life monitor? :unsure:
I’m probably just using the wrong term - I turned off the first setting (“scheduled”) but kept tire rotation and oil change on.

I’m probably just using the wrong term - I turned off the first setting (“scheduled”) but kept tire rotation and oil change on.
Yes, that “Scheduled” setting for maintenance schedule is confusing too! I just set it to 7,500 miles for Time and 12 months for Distance as a reference to Flexible oil life monitor which uses %.

80E27565-8ADF-4A45-B507-DFD9EEC38A25.jpeg

4CB6E823-6C5F-4DD4-BBAC-0EE6C2182576.jpeg

Back