Rear brake pads replaced 2016 GT

:
2016 CX-5 GT AWD
Even though there was some life remaining on the rear pads, I decided to replace them at 70600 miles.

Put the car in Service Mode, heard the little motor on the E-brake spin, and figured I was ready to go. The dash light indicating a brake issue lit up (okay) but the message the car was in Service Mode never appeared anywhere. Instead, the message "Parking brake malfunction. A malfunction has occurred in the parking brake system. Consult your Mazda dealer for inspection" showed up in the Maintenance messages. I decided to ignore it, since I knew the motor had done its job so the piston could be compressed, when the time came.

Everything came apart easily. The toughest thing to do was install the inboard pad. Getting the little noise-maker to where it could slide into the metal hardware took a little doing (on the first side)--the other side was easy once I resolved the issue. Greased the touching surfaces with appropriate grease, depressed the caliper piston, slapped everything back together, took the car out of Service Mode (even though it never declared it was in it).

While the wheels were off cleaned them, and the tires, real well. Test drove. No sounds at all. Brakes release like they should. Pedal is a little firmer. All messages have disappeared.

Total time about two hours. I think I could do it in half that next time.

Like my friend who installs pool systems says when I asked him how hard is it to install a pool? ... "The second one's easy" :)

Even though there was some life remaining on the rear pads, I decided to replace them at 70600 miles.

Put the car in Service Mode, heard the little motor on the E-brake spin, and figured I was ready to go. The dash light indicating a brake issue lit up (okay) but the message the car was in Service Mode never appeared anywhere. Instead, the message "Parking brake malfunction. A malfunction has occurred in the parking brake system. Consult your Mazda dealer for inspection" showed up in the Maintenance messages. I decided to ignore it, since I knew the motor had done its job so the piston could be compressed, when the time came.

Everything came apart easily. The toughest thing to do was install the inboard pad. Getting the little noise-maker to where it could slide into the metal hardware took a little doing (on the first side)--the other side was easy once I resolved the issue. Greased the touching surfaces with appropriate grease, depressed the caliper piston, slapped everything back together, took the car out of Service Mode (even though it never declared it was in it).

While the wheels were off cleaned them, and the tires, real well. Test drove. No sounds at all. Brakes release like they should. Pedal is a little firmer. All messages have disappeared.

If your 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT doesn’t have Tech Package option, you’ll only see the yellow EPB warning light with no "Maintenance Mode" text message displayed on LCD screen.
⋯ you will hear the motor moving and the yellow parking brake with exclamation point light up) you are now in maintenance mode.

Luckily looks like your rear brake calipers still work fine so far on your 2016 Mazda CX-5. Many others needed revised calipers to eliminate EPB dragging problem.

TSB R052/16C - Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

Back