2017 CX-9 GT throwing a P011A code

:
Winnipeg Canada
:
2017 CX-9 GT
It got colder here in Winnipeg Canada these past few days, and as such I started plugging the block heater in. Anyway, today I noticed the Check Engine Light on, and I pulled the code right away: P011A - POWERTRAIN - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor 1/2 Correlation

I see that this code is associated with a bulletin for slightly older CX-5's: https://mazda.oemdtc.com/361/check-...when-starting-in-cold-weather-2012-2016-mazda

I'm wondering if any other CX-9 owners have come across this and how they may have diagnosed or fixed this.

I'm not really seeing any other symptoms. Since I'm working from home my drives tend to be real short, like about a kilometer as we just take the kids to school every day. I did find that the engine takes a while to warm up, however, in that short of a drive, I'm thinking most cars would take a while to warm up in -20C weather. It does eventually blow hot air and I've never seen it overheat. I don't believe it's a heater core blockage or anything, but maybe a stuck-open thermostat, if that can cause such a code I don't know. Anyway, I'd say the car runs fine, it's just this code has me puzzled.

Btw, I bought this car used on Jan 5, 2021 with around 98,000Kms.

Was it a private sale, or from a dealer?
If you got it from a dealer, I'd go back to them first. You've only had the car for what, 2 weeks?

Was it a private sale, or from a dealer?
If you got it from a dealer, I'd go back to them first. You've only had the car for what, 2 weeks?

Agreed, if it came from a dealer, I'd go back to them and have them troubleshoot.

I also live in Winnipeg and my 2018 hasn't thrown any codes (even when we were hitting -50c temps last year).

It might be a good idea to have the dealer check the battery voltage to make sure the battery is still good. A faulty battery can cause weird, seemingly unrelated electrical warning signs to appear.

Going back to the dealership that sold it to me sounds reasonable. The dealership happens to be in Steinback, MB. And it wasn't a Mazda dealership, it was from a used car dealership (Stone Bridge Auto). It's a good 50Km away, so there's that. I will call them and see what they say, but it's a bit of a pain to drive all that way just for them to take a look at it.

Assuming Stone Bridge won't give me any freebies, would this be the sort of issue you'd want an actual Mazda dealership to deal with or any mechanic?

Actually, given that its a powertrain issue, I'd take it to Crown Mazda or Gerry Gordon's Mazda. Our powertrain warranty here in Canada is 5 years with unlimited mileage. If your car still has the DTC stored, one of the dealerships should be able to take a look at it for you (but I'd give them a call, just to be sure). If you call Gerry Gordon's, ask for Josh when you call service. There is an advisor there named Gary who can be a bit difficult to deal with if you catch him on a bad day (at least in my experience).

I live close to Gerry Gordon's Mazda, so that might be a good option. I did clear the code last night just to see if it comes back (it hasn't - and I took it for a spin today at lunch. It drove well, heated up as expected, blows warm air in the vents, didn't overheat). The code appeared yesterday after that short little cold spell and I plugged the car in for a couple of nights. I suspect that's an important part of this somehow. So it's gonna get colder again soon so I'll do everything exactly the same: plug it in, remote start it in the morning for a few minutes, and then do our short 1km drive to the school and back. I suspect the combination of those three tricks the computer into thinking something is off as the car never gets the chance to warm up. Or perhaps it's just the cold weather that causes a sensor to go off. Whatever it is, if it shows up again I'll take it into Gerry Gordon's Mazda and see what they say.

Thanks for the advice, it's really nice to see a fellow Winnipeger here. I'm new to Mazda, so I'm not yet sure who the good dealerships are yet. It seems you have experience with Gerry Gordon's, so that's good.

I'll keep ya posted.

Yeah, definitely nice to meet another local. I believe there's another Winnipeger on these forums (tekz) who also owns a 2nd gen CX-9. And I'm sure there are a few Winnipeg-based Mazda3 and CX-5 owners on the boards as well.

I'm new to Mazda as well, the CX-9 is my first. My experience with both dealerships is pretty limited, but I did use the Crown group's body shop (Crown Honda) to repaint my CX-9 after a hit and run, and I used GG's for a brake noise TSB. Good experiences with both, I just prefer GG's because it's closer to where I work.

I had this issue on my 2019 CX9. It only happened to me when it was colder than -20 outside, and I had my block heater plugged in. I brought mine to Gerry Gordon’s last winter when I had this issue. At the time, they were in contact with Mazda corporate about mine because they could not figure out why I was having the issue. In the end, I think they updated the software on the ecu, and the problem has not been back since.

I had this issue on my 2019 CX9. It only happened to me when it was colder than -20 outside, and I had my block heater plugged in. I brought mine to Gerry Gordon’s last winter when I had this issue. At the time, they were in contact with Mazda corporate about mine because they could not figure out why I was having the issue. In the end, I think they updated the software on the ecu, and the problem has not been back since.
Well, today is a little colder than -20C so it should be a good test. 😋

But ya, that's what I'm suspecting is the issue, just based on similar issues with CX-5s. I haven't seen the code return yet, but today could be the day. Thanks for the response, that gives me something to mention when/if I take it into Gerry Gordon's.

Last edited:
Back