I joined the Mazda CX-30 owners club

I picked up my 2020 Select in White with black/blue interior last week. It was the end of the month/end of the quarter and with the 2021's on the lot they were willing to deal. Got about $1500 off as a first time Mazda owner (prev Honda/Toyota guy) and 0% for 60 mos. They then promptly added the $1500 back on with fees... I got an out the door price from WestShore Mazda in Tampa, which they promptly did not honor. Apparently they wanted another $300 from my wallet. First work sheet said $300 for final trade in payment... I HAD NO TRADE IN.. They said oops. Then it came up someplace else which I pointed out and they removed it. After I signed all the paper work the final bill had the plate and title transfer up to?? you guessed it ....$300. If I had not already sold my Prius to Carvana (killer deal btw) I would have walked out. They played stupid saying that the "fees" to them for transfer were more than they expected....Ahhh bulls***. OTD is OTD and if they screwed up it's on them...So are they just incompetent or thieves?

Anywho, I really like the car. To me it's not a compact utility vehicle, it's a jacked up 4 door hatchback. I'm ok with that... Did I tell you I really like this thing? After the Prius this thing is a rocketship.. Handles well also.. So I got me some "zoom zoom". Next on the agenda is to PAINT THE STUPID WHEEL CLADDING!! To me it's ugly. It's gonna get painted the same color as the body. I've noticed that the Ford pickup's painted the cladding the body color and it looks fine. Other than that I plan on keeping this little puppy for a while. It checks all the boxes for me.. YMMV

mitch

Were there no other dealers you could have purchased from? Sounds like they tried to hose you right from the start.

Anyway, glad you like the car. Please post pics after you get the plastic cladding painted, I'm sure a lot of us would like to see how it turns out.

Anyway, glad you like the car. Please post pics after you get the plastic cladding painted, I'm sure a lot of us would like to see how it turns out.
Definitely, count me in as well...The plastic cladding doesn't bother me per se but I am very interested to see what it would look like painted!

Were there no other dealers you could have purchased from? Sounds like they tried to hose you right from the start.

They are car dealers, that's what they do...Try to take as much money out of your wallet as possible with no regrets..

I called and emailed all the local mazda dealers and wanted an OTD price for a white CX30 select THAT WEEK. Went back and forth and Westshore came in with the best price OTD that was...... you guessed it... $300 less than any other dealer. The other dealers would not match the price. The price BTW was about $1000 over invoice so they were making money. No dealers would go any lower. Also if they made their end of quarter/end of the month numbers they would get a big fat check from Mazda.
Like I said I was stuck. I went to Carvana in Tampa and turned in my Prius and Ubered over to the Mazda dealer to close the deal. At this point I had no auto. It still took about 4 hours to get the job done. If I had another vehicle I WOULD have walked. The way the game goes is that when I walk they would call me back and try to negotiate a bit lower price and the back and forth. I did not have the luxury of time and not having a vehicle kind of cramped my style...The killer deal I got at Carvana kinda sorta smoothed out my ruffled feathers.

Anyway I got the car and I really like it, accept for the wheel cladding. 😁
mitch

Well, at least it's all in the past now. I know I got really lucky with my dealer, even if I had to drive an hour and 45 mins each way just to see the vehicle and close the deal in person.

That grey render makes it look SO DAMN GOOD. I have to keep telling myself that there is a ton of prep work involved in making the body cladding look the way that it does in the pictures, and that the CX-30 in the render has modified suspension, but if I had a CX-30 I'd want it to look just like that one.

I do like that render but the reality of making the cladding match seems like it would be quite difficult. Still, if someone attempts it, I sure hope they post a log here, it would be really interesting to follow along...(y)

On a related note, I'm also interested so see what people do while leaving the cladding intact, lowering, wheels etc and how that enhances the overall look...As I mentioned before, the cladding doesn't bother me. :)

Actually, back to the idea of covering the cladding...What about a vinyl wrap? While it may not match perfectly, it may be less involving and expensive while still achieving the desired effect. Perhaps a two-tone effect..?

I've wondered about the vinyl wrap as well, but I'm unsure of how well the wrap would adhere to the textured surface. It would surely be a more cost effective approach, for sure.

I do like that render but the reality of making the cladding match seems like it would be quite difficult.

I don't think it would be any harder than painting a plastic bumper cover. Use the same Pearl paint and it would look good.

Actually, back to the idea of covering the cladding...What about a vinyl wrap?

I was thinking just to see what it would look like was to use a removable plastic coating. Paint and see what it looks like. If you don't care for it, it's easy to remove.

Another thought was white truck bed liner. Very tough and has a texture to it. Would probably take a door ding or shopping cart hit with ease. And it would keep with the macho appearance if you wanted to go down that road... 😁

mitch

Although late in saying so, welcome! lol

The plastic cladding isn't the greatest thing in the world, but I've grown with it. It's not that bad, especially when you have people who tend to not pay attention to their surroundings and possibly scratch your car. I can say for certain it's saved my car from that possibility. On the flip side, it does look nicer when it's more uniform.

On the CX30 forum there is a photoshopped image of a red one with painted cladding. Also Superstreet has a lowered CX30 with painted cladding...
After seeing this, I kind of want to lower my CX-30 too. lol If only the 3 looked like this. I would have bought that.

I kinda like how the CX-30 is a bit taller. I don't flop in the seat like my previous Civic Coupe.

I checked fuel mileage on my first tank...29.6 mpg!!! Not too shabby. Let's see what the average of a few tanks is. I'm not a boy racer so I expect it to be reasonable.

mitch

Do all dealers want to get more money out of us? Because I had the same problem this June, when I was buying my Mazda CX-30. The service is terrible. It's as if I'm demanding it for free, not paying big money for it. Despite this, I am happy with the car, although it has many disadvantages. But it doesn't matter, I can get used to it.

Back