Question for the Mazda Service Techs

Just did the first oil change on out 2020 CX-5 GTR. Found the factory installed filter to be be larger than the one provided by the Mazda dealer. Putting up some photos, hoping that there is a simple explanation. Factory installed is on the top. Thanks in advance.
20200927_133553.jpg
20200927_133533.jpg

I use the PY8W filter on our Sig. I would think you should be using the same as the one you pulled off.

I would think the larger (volume) filter would be better. Parts guy checked with his lead tech and said the smaller replacement is correct. Is there a source for the PY8W filter?

dont know about the 2.5 turbo but on the
non turbo the factory filter japan made is no longer sold by the dealers. The oem they sell is smaller taiwan made. They also have the cheaper oem MV line mexico made but people usually stay away from those and prefer the taiwan one.

For some reason dealers not longer sell the japan made filter in Usa at least for 2.5 non turbo.

btw the taiwan made one is very good filter too. dont worry its a bit smaller as long as its the right part number for the 2.5T

For the 2.5T engine, the original Japan-made PY8W-14-302 has been superseded by the Thailand-made 1WPY-14-302. Both are reported to be excellent filters, but I did notice that it does not take as much oil to prefill the 1WPY filter (compared to the PY8W filter).

Just did the first oil change on out 2020 CX-5 GTR. Found the factory installed filter to be be larger than the one provided by the Mazda dealer. Putting up some photos, hoping that there is a simple explanation. Factory installed is on the top. Thanks in advance.
View attachment 227332View attachment 227333
Factory installed oil filters on SkyActiv 2.5T and 2.5L are Japanese made Tokyo Roki PY8W-14-302 and PE01-14-302B respectively.

PY8W-14-302 had been available since 2016 for 2.5T in gen-2 CX-9, but got superseded by Thai made Denso 1WPY-14-302 oil filter in 2019.

PE01-14-302B has never been available in the USA. An earlier version Tokyo Roki PE01-14-302A was available for 2.5L until 2016, and also got superseded by Thai made Denso 1WPE-14-302 and a value line Mexican made PE01-14-302A-MV oil filter.

And yes, both OEM Denso 1WPY-14-302 and 1WPE-14-302 oil filters are physically smaller in diameter than factory Tokyo Roki filters. This’s Mazda Norrh American Opetations’ decision importing Denso oil filters from Thailand, apparently for cost reason.

Smaller size on OEM Denso oil filter also makes oil level a bit higher with the same amount of oil for the oil change.

dont know about the 2.5 turbo but on the
non turbo the factory filter japan made is no longer sold by the dealers. The oem they sell is smaller taiwan made. They also have the cheaper oem MV line mexico made but people usually stay away from those and prefer the taiwan one.

For some reason dealers not longer sell the japan made filter in Usa at least for 2.5 non turbo.

btw the taiwan made one is very good filter too. dont worry its a bit smaller as long as its the right part number for the 2.5T
They are made in Thailand, not Taiwan.

Changed the oil in my reserve today. Old filter was the original (not to the car) part made in Japan. The new one was the Thailand 1WPY.

There are a few visible differences...
- Japan filter is bigger as noted in this thread
- Japan filter has circle holes on the End cap, Thailand has ovals
- Japan filter has a cylindrical metal piece at the bottom of the threads (opposite site from the end cap. No idea what this is, maybe some kind of reinforcement? Thailand filter doesn’t have this.

Back