Winter is here and my CX-5 turbo is now a 2.0L!

How are you liking the new car? I suppose probably not driving much right now, I know I haven't been. :(

Trust me, I do the same thing where I very meticulously adjust the seat for weight distribution and comfort and that 2019 GT was uncomfortable.
Same. I’ve spent a lot of time trying to dial this seat in. I think it’s worse for skinnier folk because there is less muscle mass between the hard foam and sciatic nerve.

So I have a Turbo CX-5. I also work at a Mazda Dealership. I too have felt this loss is power and I've finally figured out what it is. Its the Transmission Slipping when its cold. If you take your CX-5 for a 15 minute drive around town then go home for an hour or 2 and come back out and go for another drive at the same temp the power is all there. Its 100% the transmission as I've been trying to figure this out for 2 years. Not sure how long it takes to warm up the internals but it seems like a good amount of time. I tested my theory again today and it was slow as anything in the Morning on the 1st drive, the RPM was going up faster than my speed. Waited 2.5 hours outside temp was still cold but power was all there! Hope this helps.

So I have a Turbo CX-5. I also work at a Mazda Dealership. I too have felt this loss is power and I've finally figured out what it is. Its the Transmission Slipping when its cold. If you take your CX-5 for a 15 minute drive around town then go home for an hour or 2 and come back out and go for another drive at the same temp the power is all there. Its 100% the transmission as I've been trying to figure this out for 2 years. Not sure how long it takes to warm up the internals but it seems like a good amount of time. I tested my theory again today and it was slow as anything in the Morning on the 1st drive, the RPM was going up faster than my speed. Waited 2.5 hours outside temp was still cold but power was all there! Hope this helps.
Not a transmission issue. It's been datalogged.

oh? Then how come if I do what I say at any temp it works? it was -12c here and it worked like summer time? What is the datalog saying?
Zero boost below 20* AIT. You're just heat-soaking the engine bay and boosting IAT temps until you drive around a bit again.

-If the transmission is slipping, can you explain the crisp shifts before redline? Or the lack of transmission/vehicle speed missmatch codes? Autos throw a TON! of codes if what you're saying happens, were to happen. Further explain why it uses 1-2mpg less at WOT when boost is cut.

transmission slipping doesn't fit.

Zero boost below 20* AIT. You're just heat-soaking the engine bay and boosting IAT temps until you drive around a bit again.

-If the transmission is slipping, can you explain the crisp shifts before redline? Or the lack of transmission/vehicle speed missmatch codes?
All I know is that the car made normal power at-12c on a 10 mile drive afterwards at 45mph and it still had power at the 10mile mark. There would be 0 heatsoak at that time. I drive Mazdas everyday and if I move a car off the lot in cold temps and turn it on put it in drive right away the transmisson slips cause its cold. Its normal and we notice it more in the Turbos due to the power. I know today the car made full boost at a very cold temp after the initial warm up drive.

who did the datalogs and where are they?
Should be in this thread at some point. Makes sense as the graphs looked identical to what I experience. Power is fine after and in 3rd gear. Also, I can assure you it's not the transmission unless you've nuked it and are having a TON of error codes.

Should be in this thread at some point. Makes sense as the graphs looked identical to what I experience. Power is fine after and in 3rd gear. Also, I can assure you it's not the transmission unless you've nuked it and are having a TON of error codes.
Do me a favor then. On a cold day that you know will make the power loss happen go for a drive around town or so the car shifts a good amount of time. Wait awhile lets say 1 hour after you get back from your 20 minute drive. Then go out and see how it feels. I've done this more than 5 times to make sure of my findings are correct before posting. even after 15 minutes of highway speeds on the 2nd drive the car makes full power.. so I dont understand then.

Do me a favor then. On a cold day that you know will make the power loss happen go for a drive around town or so the car shifts a good amount of time. Wait awhile lets say 1 hour after you get back from your 20 minute drive. Then go out and see how it feels. I've done this more than 5 times to make sure of my findings are correct before posting. even after 15 minutes of highway speeds on the 2nd drive the car makes full power.. so I dont understand then.

Highway speeds in what gear? It’s been noted a few times that 3rd gear and up don’t suffer from the loss of boost. In my experience 3rd gear is impacted but not as much as 1st and 2nd.

Highway speeds in what gear? It’s been noted a few times that 3rd gear and up don’t suffer from the loss of boost. In my experience 3rd gear is impacted but not as much as 1st and 2nd.
No Im saying I drove at highway speeds so there is no heatsoak involved. On my 2nd drive 1st 2nd 3rd doesn't matter every gear feels normal and if I floor it from a stop it breaks the front wheels loose before awd engages. If I did that on my 1st drive it would feel like a lawn mower lol. Its cold has hell out today and this morning it was like i had no power.. 2 hours later at the same temp it was all there just like summer time. I just went again to make sure and yep it works as it should. If the car sits all day though its the same thing no power.

I’m also experiencing this and it is absolutely not the transmission. It’s like a switch at the 20 degree Fahrenheit mark. My commute has mild elevation changes and on the right days the ambient temp will go back and forth multiple times across the 20 degree mark, and the boost follows it. If I heat soak it below 20 it will trick it for the first launch, but that’s it, then it goes back to super slow in 1st and 2nd. Annoying that I only get the turbo 10 out of 12 months.

If it were the transmission slipping do you think it would still crack off crisp shifts before redline? I've owned cars with slipping transmissions, lol! They dont shift under wot, and they throw:
Vehicle speed mismatch
Tq converter solenoid failure
Tq converter lockup failure
All sorts of wild codes. Especially on a car as electronically intense as this.

I dont mean actually slipping like a broken transmission. I think the computer is changing how the transmission responds under throttle when the fluid is cold to help premature ware. I used the word slipping to dumb it down a bit. Poor choice of words I guess. My apologies. After the fluid reaches a certain temp the car goes back to normal. Cause my experience shows its transmission based not boost. My transmission is fine too. Warmer Temps the car works as it should.

Not to mention when it's really cold out all the new cars at my dealership do the same. I've tested this theory of.. drive it.. then go back out and try it again an hour later and the car works as it should. If it was boost at a certain temp it would limit power 100% of the time.

Anyways maybe I'm wrong but I've tested different cars and this is what I feel like it is after multiple days and tries. Thanks for commenting guys good luck.

So what exactly do you think the transmission is doing to limit acceleration if it's not slipping, and rpms are indeed climbing to normal WOT shift points, and it is indeed starting in 1st gear?

Back